Team USA Softball - Canada Cup - June 20-26th

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Team USA Softball - Canada Cup - June 20-26th

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The first international Team USA Women's softball competition this summer is scheduled to begin today in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada. Here is an article from EIS about the competition.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/interna ... anada-cup/

Originally the roster for this tournament included Jocelyn Alo. The article said that the team was in Seattle, Washington on the 17th - 19th for practice before the play begins. I know that Alo played for the Vipers on Friday night (the 17th) in Shawnee, Kansas in her pro debut. I wonder if Alo is actually with Team USA for the tournament.

In the article by EIS it looks like a couple of players have been added to the team. Here is the roster:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Team-USA/Women

Schedule:

Date - Opponent - Time (Local Time - PST)

June 20 - USA vs Korea - 8:30 p.m.

June 21 - USA vs T.C. Colorado - 3:30 p.m.

June 22 - USA vs Czech Republic - 1:00 p.m.

June 22 - USA vs Chinese Taipei - 9:00 p.m.

June 23 - USA vs Aussie Spirit - 8:30 p.m.

June 24-26 Medal Round TBD
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Team USA won their first contest against Korea late Monday night 11-1 in a 'run-rule' contest.

Alo played LF and was 1 for 3 batting in her familiar 2nd spot in the lineup. Baylee Klingler (Washington) batted 3rd and played 2B. Klingler was also 1 for 3.

Team USA was lead by Savanah Jaquish with a grand slam in the 4th inning. Kiki Malloy (Tennessee) was in the leadoff spot and had 3 hits with 3 runs scored an 2 RBIs. Hannah Flippen also had 2 hits. Emma Lemley (VA Tech) started and pitched 3 innings allowing 1 hit and 1 unearned run with 7 Ks. Sandercock pitched 1 inning allowing 1 hit with 1 K.

Team USA plays TC Colorado at 3:30 PM today (5:30 CST). TC Colorado is 2 - 0 in play so far at the Canada Cup. TC Colorado is a team of D1 players of which many are familiar names.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 am Team USA won their first contest against Korea late Monday night 11-1 in a 'run-rule' contest.

Alo played LF and was 1 for 3 batting in her familiar 2nd spot in the lineup. Baylee Klingler (Washington) batted 3rd and played 2B. Klingler was also 1 for 3.

Team USA was lead by Savanah Jaquish with a grand slam in the 4th inning. Kiki Malloy (Tennessee) was in the leadoff spot and had 3 hits with 3 runs scored an 2 RBIs. Hannah Flippen also had 2 hits. Emma Lemley (VA Tech) started and pitched 3 innings allowing 1 hit and 1 unearned run with 7 Ks. Sandercock pitched 1 inning allowing 1 hit with 1 K.

Team USA plays TC Colorado at 3:30 PM today (5:30 CST). TC Colorado is 2 - 0 in play so far at the Canada Cup. TC Colorado is a team of D1 players of which many are familiar names.
Congrats to Team USA! Since Colorado has a team, Patty should have just entered the 2022 OU team, for you know, early fall practice.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 am Team USA won their first contest against Korea late Monday night 11-1 in a 'run-rule' contest.

Perhaps if Barnard is playing for TC Colorado, maybe that has gotten in the way of her going to the portal and taking a visit here???
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I think that OU is focused elsewhere towards players in the portal. I think a new Sooner is introduced soon. We will be happy about the player.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Is Baylee Klingler in the portal?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Klingler is not in the portal.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:14 am I think that OU is focused elsewhere towards players in the portal. I think a new Sooner is introduced soon. We will be happy about the player.
From the other board......"will be an improvement over Johns at 3B" ......wow! that's strong.
I had in my mind that Brito would be moving to third.....so I guess she stays in LF? Kinda hoping Coor would find her bat this summer.....
aka Crimson47
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:58 am
OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:14 am I think that OU is focused elsewhere towards players in the portal. I think a new Sooner is introduced soon. We will be happy about the player.
From the other board......"will be an improvement over Johns at 3B" ......wow! that's strong.
I had in my mind that Brito would be moving to third.....so I guess she stays in LF? Kinda hoping Coor would find her bat this summer.....
Agree. I'm hoping the freshmen who sat the bench last season while others of their class got lots of playing time at other programs can hone their skills enough this summer to get their chance for playing time this coming season.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Team USA lost to T.C. Colorado 5-4 last evening, Tuesday

Alo was 3 for 4 with a double and a HR and 3 RBIs and was the star for the Team USA. Klingler also had 2 singles.

Megan Faraimo allowed 2 runs in 5.0 IP. Jailyn Ford allowed 2 runs in 1 inning. Kathryn Sandercock got the loss as she pitched 0.2 innings allowing the game winning run with 2 hits and 1 walk in her short outing.

Team USA plays the Czech Republic at 2 PM PCT today.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Wednesday's Games for Team USA resulted in two wins by a score of 13-0 win over Czech Republic and Chinese Taipei.

In the Czech Republic game the hitting stars were many. Team USA had 4 doubles and 4 HRs. Jaquish and Flippen had 3 RBIs each. Alo and Jaquish had 2 hits each.

In the circle Aly Carda (3 IP) and Odicci Alexander (1 IP) pitched a no-hitter for Team USA.

The two hitting stars for Team USA was Alo and Flippen. Both hit two HRs. Alo hit a Grand Slam in the 2nd and a 3-run HR in the 3rd innings. Flippen hit a 2-run HR in the 2nd and a solo HR in the 3rd. Malloy and Klingler also had 2 hits each.

Jailyn Ford got the win the circle allowing only 4 hits in her 4 inning shutout.

Alo is 8 for 14 with 2 doubles and 3 HRs with 6 RS and 10 RBIs in four games. She may be causing Coach Tarr to question her selections for the primary Team USA.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Team USA defeated the Aussie Spirit 9-1 late last night on Thursday.

The offensive stars of the game were Charla Echols (FLA) and Savanna Jaquish (LSU). Echols had 3 hits and Jaquish had 2. Echols had a HR and 3 RBIs. Kiki Malloy (TN) also had a 3 run HR. Alo was 1 of 2 with a double and 2 RS and a walk.

Alexander (JMU) and Sandercock (FSU) pitched for USE with Alexander starting and going 4.1 innings. Sandercock pitched the final 0.2 innings.

Team USA (4-1) plays Canada (5-0) today at 9 PM CST in the final day of 'pool' play.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Team USA defeated Canada 9-2 on Friday night.

Charla Echols was 3 for 3 with a HR. Taylor Pleasants was 2 for 2 with 2 HRs and 3 RBIs. Jaquish had a 3 run HR also. Alo was 2 for 2 also.

Aly Carda pitched 4 innings and gave up 2 runs with Faraimo pitching the final inning for Team USA.

Team Canada, T.C. Colorado and Team USA all finished at 5-1 in the pool play.

Team USA now plays T.C. Colorado in bracket play tonight at 8 PM.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Team USA lost to T.C. Colorado again on Saturday. This time the score was 3-2. All of the T.C. Colorado runs came in the 3rd inning. the inning went like this.

Walk, WP
With runner on 2nd, GO to SS
Walk, WP
Walk to load the bases
Single to plate one run, bases still loaded
Error with two runs scoring, runners on 1st and 2nd
Ground out to SS with runners moving to 2nd and 2rd
Strikeout looking.

It looks like Alexander gave up the 3 walks in the inning and Carda relieved to give up the single. The error looks to be on Pleasants at SS.

T.C. Colorado had 1 hit with 0 walks outside of that inning.

Team USA was lead by Flippen and Alo with 2 hits apiece with both hitting solo HRs. Jaquish, Klingler and Palacios each had singles.

- - -

If I have figured this out correctly this is today's schedule.

1. Chinese Taipei plays Netherlands.
2. Winner of (1) plays Team USA. (It looks like the loser of this game is the Bronze Medal winner.)
3. Winner of (2) plays T.C. Colorado (Gold Medal game.)