TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

FWIW......

Just a prediction.....

aka Crimson47
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I thought that we were done in the portal but Lee would provide more power plus depth at catcher
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I did too....but this kinda popped up today....after the IG picture that Lee posted yesterday..
aka Crimson47
White River

Post by White River »

Mixed emotions about this one. I really like the young players we have and don't want to see them buried too deep in the depth chart. She is a catcher, and they are the most injury prone. Patty knows best so whatever she wants I hope she gets.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

White River wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:49 pm Mixed emotions about this one. I really like the young players we have and don't want to see them buried too deep in the depth chart. She is a catcher, and they are the most injury prone. Patty knows best so whatever she wants I hope she gets.
I agree completely with all this. Sophia Nugent was a top five recruit. Is she going to sit another year waiting her turn and then have to face more portal transfers next year? Portals wouldn't be brought in if they weren't expected to start. In PG I trust, but really would like to see the recruiting process given a chance to work.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Seeing this on another board......
Normally wouldn't post something like this...but it may turn out to be relevant.
My thinking is that OSU signed Haley Lee and Julia thought to herself "there ain't room for both of us behind the plate so I'm outa here".......
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The other thing to note is that in 2022, Cottrill seemed to lose her starting job to Taylor Tuck at OSU. With Tuck and perhaps Lee in Stillwater the competition would be a three way battle.

I think she would need a 'waiver' to be able to play in 2023 also as this is her second transfer. A big price to pay.
BixSooner

Post by BixSooner »

White River wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:49 pm Mixed emotions about this one. I really like the young players we have and don't want to see them buried too deep in the depth chart. She is a catcher, and they are the most injury prone. Patty knows best so whatever she wants I hope she gets.
Ditto. Can't imagine the anxiety a player (and player's family) may have when word has it they're bringing in another proven superstar that happens to play at your position.
The Sooners are a destination spot for great players that gets a major push from the transfer portal. As far as the schools they're coming from, imagine losing your star player to a school, who in all actuality, doesn't necessarily need that player.
Love my Sooner softball. Will cheer them on next year, like I always have. But having teams load up like this, is really not good for the sport.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

One of the rewards of having a consistently stellar team,is a vastly better ability to recruit, and nowadays that includes the transfer portal. I can understand Donihoo transferring, but I would think that Puni and T Coleman should have waited at least until fall ball is over, to see if they could secure a more prominent role on the team, before making a decision to leave the team behind. All the players should be willing to continue to fight for a starting spot until after fall schedule of their sophomore year.

Patty's job is to field the best team possible.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I have been mulling over this very issue. I am concerned about the young players being cast aside for portal players and not getting the playing time needed to develop into top players. Yes, we want the portal players so we can make a run at another national championship but how do we know what raw talent we have sitting on the bench?

I see this trend also in men's basketball and we all know of the transfers in and out of the football program.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

The transfer portal is changing the way America does sports. OU gained softball dominance at pretty much the right time.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

OMG its happening!

If this is true, I am Shocked!

OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:13 pm OMG its happening!

If this is true, I am Shocked!
I am surprised as well.
::rice2:: :dude:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

TropicalSooner wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:19 pm
Patty is batting 1000 this offseason, lol. In Patty we trust.
raven15

Post by raven15 »

Saw on Discord that Waitman is going to OSU.