Sooner Softball - FGCL Players

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Softball - FGCL Players

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I have found that 3 of the 2022 Freshman for the Oklahoma Sooners are in Bradenton, FL to play in the FGCL this summer.

Turiya Coleman is playing for the Manatee Squeeze

Hannah Coor is playing for the Myakka City RiverMocs

Quincee Lilio is playing for the Sarasota Circus

I could not find Sophia Nugent or Emmy Guthrie on any of the rosters.

Their first games are tonight starting at 5 PM and 7:30 PM. there are 12 teams this season. The season runs through July 15th with the teams playing daily except for Sunday's for 28 games it looks like.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

I believe Alex Storako is pitching for the Squeeze as well. Last year Boone participated in the FGCL and won the regular season MVP. Looking forward to see how this years freshmen will do.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thank you for posting this.
Do any of the other players play summer ball? or is it only the freshmen class?
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I should refresh before i post. I guess the previous poster answered my question.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:19 pm Thank you for posting this.
The FGCL is for young players that have not played and not started too much in their career. There is also a Kansas League that I saw was going to play in 2022. I have not seen rosters for that yet.

On the comment above about Storako playing for the Squeeze in the FGCL, I think that is a typo or there is more than one Alex Storako that plays softball. I see that name on the roster but surely that is not right.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

I think this league is mostly for upcoming new players to have some practice and live game to get better. A lot of players don’t have a school associated with them so this is another opportunity to impress coaches for a spot on their team. I am really surprised Storako is pitching here.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:26 pm
The FGCL is for young players that have not played and not started too much in their career. There is also a Kansas League that I saw was going to play in 2022. I have not seen rosters for that yet.

On the comment above about Storako playing for the Squeeze in the FGCL, I think that is a typo or there is more than one Alex Storako that plays softball. I see that name on the roster but surely that is not right.
I am equally surprised about Storako.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Isn't this the league that Shannon Saile pitched in while she was at OU?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:36 pm Isn't this the league that Shannon Saile pitched in while she was at OU?
Yes - And she was one of the most experienced player there.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Checked with Gray Robertson who calls the games, it is the real Alex Storako and she will be pitching.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

oufanforever wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:51 pm Checked with Gray Robertson who calls the games, it is the real Alex Storako and she will be pitching.
Then I a totally wrong. But I am surprised.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Was curious as to what FGCL stood for, went Googling:
FGCL Grants College Players Summer Opportunity To Compete
FGCL-softball-2021.jpg (1)
(Photos by Billy D Photography)
By Erika LeFlouria on June 23, 2021

After a successful inaugural season in 2020, the Florida Gulf Coast League is back in action with three new teams this summer. As the game of softball continues to grow, so too do the opportunities available for its players outside of the college season.

For decades, summer leagues provided baseball players from around the country a way to compete, train and develop their skills during the offseason months.

Recognizing the need, the FGCL decided to offer softball’s first collegiate summer league after having a successful inaugural baseball season the year prior. Initially consisting of 12 teams, only seven teams were allowed to take the field due to last summer's pandemic concerns.

After five weeks of stiff competition, the Myakka City River Mocs won the inaugural FGCL championship in front of over 3,000 fans viewing through the live stream broadcast.

One year later, the FGCL has expanded and welcomed the Siesta Key Phinz, the Sarasota Circus and the South Bradenton Skeeters to join the original seven teams for the 2021 summer season.

Aaron Vail, an assistant coach at Furman, is coaching the Phinz in their inaugural season. After seeing his players Riley Ludlam and Claire Ginder successfully compete in the FGCL after last year’s college softball season was canceled, Vail said his decision to coach was a “no-brainer” following the league’s expansion.

“I think the expansion was huge,” Vail said. “That growth is huge in just continuing to just be more visible and give the girls an opportunity to see outside of playing college ball. The FGCL also lets them know that even if they can’t make it to the USSSA Pride or they can’t make it to AU (Athletes Unlimited), they still have the opportunity to play additional games in their career because the career window for these women is just so short.”

The expansion also allows new rosters to be filled with high-caliber talent from all divisions and conferences.

For the 2021 season, the Siesta Key Phinz welcomed Clemson’s Abi Stuart, Georgia Tech’s Blake Neleman and Ferris State’s Kaitlyn Orme. The South Bradenton Skeeters will be led by Penn State’s Melina Livingston, Florida State’s Autumn Belviy and George Mason’s Marlaina Bozek. Lastly, the Sarasota Circus will compete with Georgia’s Ellie Armistead, Florida State’s Kaia LoPreste and Washington’s Stormy Kotzelnick.

Carsyn Gordon, a Puerto Rico national team member and 2018 WCWS national champion with Florida State, is the head coach for the Circus in their inaugural season. Having served as an FGCL assistant coach last year with the Manatee Squeeze, Gordon is now ready for her new role with the league.

“I want every player to walk away with a newfound love for softball,” said Gordon. “Yeah, we want to win and definitely want to win the championship, but at the end of the day, we’re just playing to have fun. I want them to go into their schools this fall with a breath of fresh air and know that softball doesn’t always have to be so stressful.”

The FGCL grew from having 75 players in its first year to now welcoming 140 players to Florida, giving more athletes the opportunity to compete, train and develop their skills this summer.

“There’s a ton of talent from all over the country and I’m excited to have the opportunity to coach,” said Vail. “I just want these girls to continue to grow and be better athletes than when they got here, and that’s simply the goal. So, if that means we win every game or if we are not as successful as we want to be, it’s still going to be, as a team and as an experience, a successful summer.”

After a record-setting Women’s College World Series with viewership numbers through the roof, softball has now emerged as the NCAA’s fastest-growing sport. With the addition of summer leagues, new recognition and opportunities are starting to emerge for the sport and its athletes.

“I definitely think that softball is going to take a turn for the better,” Gordon said. “Just looking at the numbers from the last few World Series, (they) have been crazy, and now that we have more summer leagues and other leagues coming about, I think it is going to really catapult the sport.”
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

Anyone know if the games are streamed anywhere or if they get posted to Youtube?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

ousbfan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:53 pm Anyone know if the games are streamed anywhere or if they get posted to Youtube?
They can be streamed. Go to https://www.gklive.tv/event/fgcl-colleg ... ummer-2022

The access point is there. I did not check the price. I am trying to decide what to do. $125 for the season.
ousbfan

Post by ousbfan »

Thanks 56, I'll chk it out, trying to find team rosters then might try it out for a day pass first.