Longstanding Nebraska football balloon tradition suspended for 2022 season

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
gcruse7

Longstanding Nebraska football balloon tradition suspended for 2022 season

Post by gcruse7 »

This article ( https://www.aol.com/sports/longstanding ... 21733.html ) states that since the 1940s, Nebraska fans at Memorial Stadium have released red balloons after the Huskers score their first touchdown of a game. The tradition will not continue during the 2022 season, Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts announced Monday.

He gives some lame reason about the shortage of helium, but that is fake news. I've heard that the real reason is that with Venables leading the Sooners into Memorial Stadium this year, they were afraid that the fans would have to hold their balloons the entire game, and that would be too embarrassing. :surrender:
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.
Shelstin

Post by Shelstin »

I know that I am probably in the minority here, but I hope that Nebraska gets back to being a top 10 team. I actually have respect for them, and I like Coach Frost.

I hate to see any college tradition fall away, but that one was destined to. It had to be bad for the environment, somehow. Just like farting cows... :D
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Turns out there is a helium shortage...who would have thought....also it is worth $250/mcf...who would have thought....back in the day helium was a trash gas....

At those prices we should redevelop fields that were abandoned due to high helieum content..,

Also it turns out there is a crypto currency called Helium.....lol...
UtahSooner83

Post by UtahSooner83 »

Shelstin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:23 pm I know that I am probably in the minority here, but I hope that Nebraska gets back to being a top 10 team. I actually have respect for them, and I like Coach Frost.

I hate to see any college tradition fall away, but that one was destined to. It had to be bad for the environment, somehow. Just like farting cows... :D
I, too, would like to see Nebraska get back to being a top 15 program.
captnop

Post by captnop »

Looking at Nebraska ... we should look at the history of the last 20 years and be very, very , very thankful we have Joe C.

They fired Solich for no apparent reason( other than he wasn't Osbourne) ..

Then they hired Callahan which was a terrible hire ...

Then Bo Pelini .. Ok hire, which I mean he won 9-10 games every year has a .713 win percent, won their division one year. It could be worse right ?

Hello Worse, a absolutely terrible hire Mike-Carpetbagger !!! He wasn't impressive at Oregon State went .500 in 3 years .. ( note OU should never hire a coach with that last name it is cursed)

Now Frost .. on paper this should've been a home run.. Except if you look at his UCF teams .. most of those players he did not recruit ... I think this is something that Joe C would've seen in heart beat. Honestly his Nebraska teams have been the worst .. They remind me of OU's Blake era ... Maybe a bit better , but overall record is similar. It's mind boggling that he could do such a good job as Oregon OC and UCF HC and such a bad job at Nebraska ?

Hopefully Trev Alberts can make things right ... who knows.. They fire one good coach and one mediocre coach and now they are imperil of becoming the Iowa St of the B1G ( maybe not that good) ..
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

While I am definitely not a tree hugger, this tradition is one that probably needs to go. I can't imagine being the land owner 50 miles away and picking all these up off my pasture on Sunday. It seems like a lot of waste for really no benefit other than to say "we have always done it".
You shall not pass
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Speaking of Nebraska

In Brent I Trust :D