FAVORITE WESTERNS

Your favorites
OU Chinaman

FAVORITE WESTERNS

Post by OU Chinaman »

...oklahombre posted in my Batman thread about his love of westerns and reliving childhoods,...so I thought, what were my personal favorite TV western series and western movies?

After a little reminiscing, came up with these 3 TV series:

1. Wanted Dead or Alive- w/Steve McQueen (who was the last great movie star) Josh Randall, the bounty hunter, had the absolute coolest gun with his "mares leg" a cut down lever action he wore on his hip.

2. Have Gun Will Travel-w/Richard Boone as Paladin, a hired gun based in San Francisco who wore all black when working and the Knight chess piece his trademark. Carried a derringer, which is my edc.

3. The Wild Wild West-w/Robert Conrad as Jim West, and Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon. Secret Service agents exploits, traveling the old west on their personal train.

Trying to name my 3 favorite Western movies was really difficult. Kept remembering this one and that one,...but these are my Top 3:

1. Tombstone-Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday was the best performance of his career, lmo.

2. Hombre-my very favorite Paul Newman movie. His portrayal of John Russel was superb.

3. The Magnificent 7-an ensemble cast that included Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, & Eli Wallach. Based on the 7 Samurai movie, 7 gunfighters defend a farmers village from Mexican Bandits.

(Shane, The Shootist, Nevada Smith, Open Range, Appaloosa, Silverado, The Outlaw Josey Wales,...and it goes on & on. Too many to name. But, I bet some of you out there can help me remember others.) :cool:

Spring football can't get here quick enough!

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

TV: Rifleman Gunsmoke Lone Ranger

Movie: The Man that shot Liberty Valance (So many great starts)
The Unforgiven ( My favorite Eastwood movie, but I love them all)
Silverado (again, so many stars)

That's my top 3 on both categories...
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

In no special order, I'll go with:

TV: Have gun - Will travel, Maverick, Rawhide (Honorable Mention - Hell on Wheels, Lonesome Dove, Gunsmoke)

Movies: True Grit (John Wayne), High Noon, Fist full of Dollars (Honorable mention - Once upon a time in the West, Rio Bravo, 3:10 to Yuma (Glenn Ford)
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:30 pm ...oklahombre posted in my Batman thread about his love of westerns and reliving childhoods,...so I thought, what were my personal favorite TV western series and western movies?

After a little reminiscing, came up with these 3 TV series:

1. Wanted Dead or Alive- w/Steve McQueen (who was the last great movie star) Josh Randall, the bounty hunter, had the absolute coolest gun with his "mares leg" a cut down lever action he wore on his hip.

2. Have Gun Will Travel-w/Richard Boone as Paladin, a hired gun based in San Francisco who wore all black when working and the Knight chess piece his trademark. Carried a derringer, which is my edc.

3. The Wild Wild West-w/Robert Conrad as Jim West, and Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon. Secret Service agents exploits, traveling the old west on their personal train.

Trying to name my 3 favorite Western movies was really difficult. Kept remembering this one and that one,...but these are my Top 3:

1. Tombstone-Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday was the best performance of his career, lmo.

2. Hombre-my very favorite Paul Newman movie. His portrayal of John Russel was superb.

3. The Magnificent 7-an ensemble cast that included Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, & Eli Wallach. Based on the 7 Samurai movie, 7 gunfighters defend a farmers village from Mexican Bandits.

(Shane, The Shootist, Nevada Smith, Open Range, Appaloosa, Silverado, The Outlaw Josey Wales,...and it goes on & on. Too many to name. But, I bet some of you out there can help me remember others.) :cool:

Spring football can't get here quick enough!

Good list - would add "Big Jake" with John Wayne. Agree that Val Kilmer's role as Holiday was his best performance ever, and I think the best portrayal of Holiday in any western film. Magnificent 7 is also a great movie.
sybil

Post by sybil »

final duel once upon a time in the west
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...good one, baby!

Sergio Leone's Magnum Opus of spaghetti-westerns. An all time favorite.

(I was in love with Claudia Cardinale! She was smokin'!) :cool:

EMan

Post by EMan »

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...another great selection from the Snarling Dogs Defending Champ!

[/You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?b]