So what's your OU/SoonerTimes story?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
K2C Sooner

Post by K2C Sooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

BAS, Echo101, the gorilla guy, was the one that posted that link on 247. It's funny, he has disappeared on this board since then. I see your posts often on the Dirt board. You bring alot of good info to this board. Glad you're a member.
[
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

... some of my very earliest memories are SOONER Football. I remember when I was 6 years old in first grade and being at my grandmother's home on an OU/Texass Saturdy. My father and my uncles were all gathered around a radio listening to the game and I remember thinking "THIS" is a big deal. A couple of years later in 1962, I became aware of the greatness of HC Bud Wilkinson and the greatest player that never was, Joe Don Looney! From those days to this SOONER Football has been a passion I indulge myself.

I adopted my handle & avatar back when Gibbs was fired by AD Steve Owens. It's a rather obscure part of SOONER Football lore. The chinamen were a term used to characterize the outlandish, unrealistic expectations of SOONER fans.

I adopted it to remind myself to keep my own expectations tamped down and as a parody to remind others to do the same.

I was one of the founding member of the SWARM back when John Blake was HC. Horsefly & I later put together a tail gate club we called the Crimson Reign. I was a Sports Talk radio caller of some repute in the late 90's and early 2000's. In 2004 I moved to Blanchard, OK. Basically, retired from the tailgate & sports talk caller gigs.

In 2015, I found SOONER TIMES and joined as a member. Great group of SOONER fans here, knowledgeable and dedicated. Also, a lot of chinamen too!

I understand the expectations of SOONER fans. I GET IT! But, if I think members are being overtly critical, or insulting, or name calling, SOONER players & Coaches, I'll likely take issue with it.

For me, when you side someone, you SIDE THEM win, lose, or draw. You don't crawl out from under a rock and ,join the chorus of the critics and the chinamen. Criticism can be constructive and at times, like this season, it is well deserved.
However, the tone & attitude with which it is reflected in posts on this MB, usually indicates the type of fan you are.

A DIE HARD, OR A FAIR WEATHER FAN!

I embrace audacity. I walk a tightrope without a net most times. Pretty sure I've had more posts deleted than any other active member.

Looking forward to continuing this new ST site with a the great guys & gals here who LOVE SOONER Football like I do.

HOW MUCH RICE CAN A CHINAMAN EAT?

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I was born and raised in Tulsa and a Sooner House (my dad). He and his good friend had season tickets and whenever his friend couldn't make it, I'd get to go with him. This was the 1960's.

I enjoyed watching and attending games in the 70's and 80's, all of which only deepened my fanaticism. I've watched players come and go, coaches come and go and even some fans/posters, as well. I have had crazy highs when we won NC's and I was nearly depressed when we weren't that good in the 1990's but I have always been and always will be a true Sooner fan!

Regarding Sooner Times, this is actually my second time around. I found it and land thief in the 90's and posted frequently, but that fell away when I got a job transfer and pretty much got away from online contact for a good while.

I retired in March 2020 and moved back to OK (Bixby - if you couldn't guess), and started looking for some of the online sites for Sooner news and fans. This was one that I found. I haven't been all that active, but have decided to change that.

This board stands out to me because agree or not, discussions on here are at least civil, unlike other message boards. I recognize some of the names here from when I was active before so, another reason this feels like home.

Now with a new board setup, same great people and new ones too, I'm ready to really enjoy this site, and do what I can to contribute where I can.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

Born and raised in Norman. I sold Hot Dogs at OU games and played football on the turf while at NHS. I always worked the west side making good money from hungover students with the munchies. For any of you who were there in the mid 70s, I was the one who violated the vendor dress code. I wore an OU baseball hat red OU tee shirt and kept change in a blue denim train engineers jacket. I graduated from OU in 80.

We moved to Illinois in 97. Not long after that I found the forefather of this site. Planted for now in Bixby. Looking for a small farm in NE OK to retire to in a couple of years
Blue

Post by Blue »

Born and Bred Sooner. My parents, aunts and uncles, most of my cousins and my sister and I went to OU. Even have 2 grandparents who graduated from OU in the 1930s. Like many, I'm sure, OU football is part of the glue that binds my family together. When my dad and I couldn't hardly talk to each other about anything (because of the stubbornness I inherited from him . . .), we could still talk OU football. Sitting next to him in Owen Stadium and at the Cotton Bowl, are some of my best memories. He and I "stormed" the field after the Nebraska game in 2000. We (and everyone else in our section) nearly fought an osu fan at the 2001 game. Today, we watch most games from the comfort of our respective couches and call each other before and after every game, to compare notes.

I very rarely post, but I've regularly visited the SoonerTimes board since its inception. I recall the old "Unified" board and the wearthermen's board back in the early internet days.

Thank you to all the regular posters. This board and the community of folks who post here are great.

Boomer Sooner!
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

I grew up about 40 minutes from Norman so everyone I knew that followed sports were OU fans. My family wasn't super sports followers but we'd certainly have the game on if it was one of those Saturdays (or Fridays if we're talking about Nebraska) that the game was on TV. I discovered my love of football when I started playing little league football and then I naturally progressed into a rabid OU fan. I used to beg my dad to take me to OU games back in the 80s and he would always act like it was super expensive. He did take me to an OU/Tusla game in Norman once. Don't remember the exact year but I remember Tulsa kicking the ball out of bounds something like 5 or 6 times in a row... Switzer just kept making them re-kick rather taking the ball where ever the penalty would have given him. When I turned 16, I got a job at local grocery store that sold tickets and saw that the OU/Colorado game (the big home game that year, Nebraska was in Lincoln) was something like $30 or $35 face value (endzone). That blew my mind... THAT'S NOT EXPENSIVE was my thought! So I started buying tickets to games and going on my own (with friends) when I could.

Went to college at OU during the dark years of the '90s. Graduated and moved around a lot following work. Landed back in OKC just in time for the 2000 season. By this time, I had bills to pay and wasn't making a lot of money and tickets had gotten more expensive so I didn't get to attend a lot of games. Saw the OU/Kansas game that year and was in town in Manhattan for work so picked up a single to see the KSU game on my own. Happened to sit next to Carol Stoops but didn't know it until the guy sitting next to me on the other side told me after the game was over and she was gone.

In 2005, we moved to Abilene, TX following work which disconnected me from all things Sooner and eventually found online sports forums as a way to interact with other Sooner fans... soonerfans.com being the first. Used to be a great board but "the posse" ran everyone off. Last I saw, that board is still up but is a ghost town. Bounced around from one board to another before coming to soonertimesbb just a few years ago. Really like the group here. As someone else said, unlike other boards, it's a lot more civil here.

We still try to go to a game or two a year. Sometimes we miss out for a year, one of us can't get off or kids have Saturday activities or whatnot. OU/Texas is the one I like to go to most if we can but every single time I go, even if OU is heavily favored, OU loses... until this year. Man, did I think I jinxed 'em again though! Yep, that was my first OU/Texas win. lol
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
White River

Post by White River »

Born and raised in south central Oklahoma in a family of Sooner fans. Like some others here, I was a contrarian as a child and rooted for Notre Dame because that caused maximum irritation for those around me. When the game of the century kicked off I rooted for Nebraska surrounded by about 50 of my mother's family. By the end of the first quarter I was caught up in the emotion of the game and started rooting for the Sooners. Been there ever since. (Yes, I have repented and received forgiveness from above for ever rooting for the Irish but no forgiveness from family)
Attended some college at MIT (Murray In Tish) but dropped out and went to work in the oilfield. Married my high school sweetheart and 43 years later we are still together. Our son is an OU graduate so I'm not completely alien to the program. Attended games occasionally for years but as work got busier and more stressful I found I loved the game atmosphere but not the hassle of attending. Watching from home or listening on the radio is more to my liking.
I was blessed to be able to retire at what some would consider an early age and my wife and I moved to Bull Shoals lake in an effort to get closer to our grandkids while allowing me to fish and bowhunt as much as I can stand. We are about five miles from the White River and that's why I chose the name. I fish there a lot as well as on Bull Shoals and occasionally Norfork.
I lurked around this board for over 15 years but never posted because I really didn't have much to contribute. I still don't, but now I have more time and therefore more opinions. I do love me some SOONER SOFTBALL and I'll travel back to Oklahoma to attend a game in that new stadium!
If any of you have aspirations of fishing this area I'll be happy to assist with advice. It really is a beautiful place.

This is the high stress environment I live in now.
WR 1027.jpg
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

Just a old fart who loves OU Football! :mayfield2: