So what's your OU/SoonerTimes story?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
ClaireOKC

Post by ClaireOKC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Wow - I absolutely love this stuff...where are you in the vid? Always like to point to the people I know in the video - look I know that guy!!! Makes me look famous!!!! :D
OU Guy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:13 pm Anyways, Discovery released a documentary called “Carrier, Fortress at Sea” and you can go to UTube and watch it. I’m in this film in selected areas lol.

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

ClaireOKC wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:58 pm Wow - I absolutely love this stuff...where are you in the vid? Always like to point to the people I know in the video - look I know that guy!!! Makes me look famous!!!! :D
OU Guy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:13 pm Anyways, Discovery released a documentary called “Carrier, Fortress at Sea” and you can go to UTube and watch it. I’m in this film in selected areas lol.

I don’t have a solo but a few times on flight deck and same below decks. Green top khaki pants. My squadron is featured quite a bit VF-31 we have the Felix the Cat logo. Our sister squadron is who had the engine failure and had to bail out.
In Brent I Trust :D
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I was born and raised in Tulsa and graduated from OU with a BS ChE in 1978. I turned 65 in September and am retired in all but name only. During my career, I have worked in the oil industry; the rubber industry; the metals extraction industry; taught overseas; and picked up a master's and doctorate and my professional license along the way.

I found a previous generation of this site back in the 1990s while living in Baton Rouge. I got cutsey with my moniker and chose SwampSooner for its Louisiana flavor (and the fact Sooner Dave was taken).

I would love to move back to Oklahoma but I am keeping too many Houstonian doctors in Ferraris to move too far away.

I have been married to my wife for 43 years and my son, wife and grandson are living in my old Baton Rouge house, which, BTW, was flooded out a few years back.
ClaireOKC

Post by ClaireOKC »

You lucky dog - I caught my first trout (decent sized too) on a fly rod on that river. You're right - it's way too beautiful to believe.

Bet it's gorgeous now with the trees turning!
White River wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:21 pm I was blessed to be able to retire at what some would consider an early age and my wife and I moved to Bull Shoals lake in an effort to get closer to our grandkids while allowing me to fish and bowhunt as much as I can stand. We are about five miles from the White River and that's why I chose the name. I fish there a lot as well as on Bull Shoals and occasionally Norfork.

This is the high stress environment I live in now.
Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
ClaireOKC

Post by ClaireOKC »

Sooner Born and Sooner Bred - but not dead yet, but when it happens I'll be Sooner dead!

From small NE town and can remember Mom and Dad packing up the auto to come for the Saturday game - they would drive down and back in one day, course the games back then were always at 1 pm. I couldn't understand why they didn't want to take a screaming babe with them, cause I always wanted to go. As I grew older, my sister and I got to go and nothing beat it....loved the pageantry, that band major touching his tall hat to the ground, BOOMER SOONER, and everything else. I didn't really understand football, but that was OK cause loved all the crowd participation and began to learn about football and when to applaud, and when to groan!

Fast forward through a lot of life and met this guy named Walt and we LOVED OU football together - loved the games, loved the tailgating, loved the whole experience. I loved going to the games early so I could see all the pre-game stuff going on and found a way to get Tobey in the ear during the game. Made me look so smart!!! We had a blast. Then the old owner of the board almost lost control of the board, so Walt took it on. I did some graphics and had fun with it and was kinda proud of having a connection with the oldest free message board for the Oklahoma Sooners.

This latest iteration of the board is a lot of dreams come true. For one thing, you can see pics in real-time and inline - that means that you can play a video "in the message" without having to go to another site. It also means that the security on this board will be a lot better - more up-to-date- than on the old board. With Walt's inspiration, I've done a couple of more emoticons, ::caleb:: ::rice2:: and need to work on some others and my favorites :hornsburning: :tt6: (yeah need to take out #6), and I'm sure I'll have a whole bunch of new ones for the SEC - got any ideas? I always like requests!

So far this has been a really fun (and needed - we had to get off that old board, we're getting kicked off the server as they don't offer support and/or security for that model number anymore), and looking forward to this board lasting another century!
Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Serenity Now

Post by Serenity Now »

I've been with this or the former iteration of this board so long that I seem to remember the Blake years and my hearty defense of the wishbone. Initially I was OUBubba. I traded that in for a Seinfeld reference in the early/mid 2000's. I'm still sparring away with that moniker at hornfans.

Grew up in Eastern Ok. I froze to death, I think, at my first game - OSU circa 1975. My parents had tickets in section 11 from about '73 until mom let them go last year when they were taking two of her isle seats to make the rows bigger. I made a mistake and went to Arkansas my freshman year. Fixed that and I got a few degrees from OU (an amazing 7 years of my life :) ) and moved back here. I try to make one game a year for the pageantry that Claire referenced. The OU pre-game is mystical to me and I can still hear my parents' friend Marjorie singing the OU Chant poorly at the top of her lungs. It makes me overly misty EVERY time. It helps harken back good memories of my dad. He passed at the age of 53 before the Schnellenberger debacle started. He imparted upon me a hate of all things OSU, Texas, and Notre Dame. My multiple sports playing kids have inhibited my attendance greatly. I do like to sit in my chair and watch the game in comfort.
K2C Sooner

Post by K2C Sooner »

Humm...nothing so far from the "King of the HILL" or Crint or sybil or Army or 47 or missing "many not named"......? :dude: :ou: :lincoln:
[
BigIslandSooner

Post by BigIslandSooner »

I was born in Tulsa, 1963, moved to Los Angeles in 1966, discovered OU football in 1971. Outside of the 90s it has been pretty easy being a Sooner fan. SoonerTimes was one of the first websites I found when I got the internet (whenever that was) and been lurking and periodically posting (there was a long time when I couldn't do anything but lurk, I'm glad that isn't the case anymore) since I guess the late 90s. I appreciate the quality info and perspectives we get here more so than any of the other OU boards I go too far less often.
Jack Mildren is why I always wore #11