OU - Duke FINAL OU 3-0

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OU3-0 final
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Keeney got a called strike out for out 2 and then we get a forced out at 3rd for the end of the game. Keeney is a bit rusty but brought it when it was most critical.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

We played a top 10 team today. Any win is a good one.

I was a bit frustrated by some of our missed opportunities - they were just missed, not an indication of impending doom (ha!)

May, Maxwell, Monticelli, and Keeney pitched a collective shut out. Yes!

How about those froshies, Pickering and Parker! They got game already.

Un-related to my enjoyment of following these games on the radio, Chris Plank is a great voice and enthusiastic supporter of OUSB. However, I have listened to his game calls for a couple years now and find myself shaking my head at least ten times a game:

Miss called # of outs and pitch counts.
Miss called which inning it is.
Miss called scores.
Miss-names of players (even OU's).
He is missing this info or that info 'because the wind is blowing or the studio is cramped or the tech is not working or...' He at least makes fun of himself and his own unpreparedness at times.
Etc.

I like Plank otherwise. Wish he could clean some of this up. It may just be his style.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I may have made my own error: I don't recall if Monticelli pitched!

Funny!
Bricklayer

Post by Bricklayer »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:44 pm We played a top 10 team today. Any win is a good one.

I was a bit frustrated by some of our missed opportunities - they were just missed, not an indication of impending doom (ha!)

Un-related to my enjoyment of following these games on the radio, Chris Plank is a great voice and enthusiastic supporter of OUSB. However, I have listened to his game calls for a couple years now and find myself shaking my head at least ten times a game:

Miss called scores.
He is missing this info or that info 'because the wind is blowing or the studio is cramped or the tech is not working or...' He at least makes fun of himself and his own unpreparedness at times.
Etc.

I like Plank otherwise. Wish he could clean some of this up. It may just be his style.

I agree with your opinion. Chris is rushing things too much. It’s radio….it’s ok to be behind a few seconds on the call. I did play by play for football for 19 years. It was not until I was completely prepped for the game and slowed my mind down mentally that I felt I did a decent job.

Love his enthusiasm and excitement, but just scaling back a little bit and taking a deep breath might help

Just my worthless 2 cents

Great opening day for the girls. Will take that all day everyday. Can see why Patty was excited about a couple of the freshmen
tycat947

Post by tycat947 »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:54 pm I may have made my own error: I don't recall if Monticelli pitched!

Funny!
Monticelli and Deal both pitched in the first game.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I like Plank a lot, but he’s a gaffe machine on the radio. Just routine.

I didn’t notice him mess up the inning - but, for certain the Flo score bug had the wrong inning listed from at least the 3rd inning through the 6th inning. I didn’t notice exactly when it started, but they were off 1 inning for certain from 3-6 innings - I even pulled up live chats to confirm what I thought with my own eyes.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:44 pm We played a top 10 team today. Any win is a good one.

Miss called scores.
Etc.

In his defense, the scoreboard and most associated with running the information were wrong numerous time. Plank did correct himself when he read 6th inning off of the board when they posted it rather than 5th.

I mean a venue that has IGUANAS running on the field may not be the most modern facility to keep up with scores and stats!
texsa sucks!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Good points about Plank by all. My criticism is in good faith and with good will toward him. I really enjoy his calls for the most part. (I really like Nicole Mendez's calls - she adds a lot of depth and insight to the game.)

Yes, I had the same thought that he gets in a rush to get the call as fast as possible, which is great and all; however it leads to some frustrating and sometimes confusing experiences. Even the most seasoned announcers make gaffes and misspeak a time or two a game. No big deal. It just seems like Plank makes these blunders six, seven....ten times a game. Also no big deal. At least I now know I am not going crazy.

Go Sooners! At least my 'complaints' are personal, rather petty, and of absolutely ZERO consequence to the team. I could be a Nebraska fan and feeling those feelings today.

(Nebraska got beat today by Washington, 8-0! Jordy twisted her ankle in the second inning after giving up two or three runs? Say it ain't so!!!
I hope she heals up quickly and is not being crushed by the massive amounts of expectation at good 'ol Husker U. She is a sincere and good-hearted person, it seems to me. To be honest, I had this hunch when she left OU that she might get married to her baseball beau and drop out of softball next year. Just a hunch, and nothing wrong with it if she decides to do that!)
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I think this Duke win keeps looking better and better. I will say I noticed on the robo board that posters were saying Kelly was super lucky that all the Duke hits were straight to the fielders. Speaking of Plank - I believe he was repeating someone who had said that that (fielders being line drived straight to) is in some part due to superior scouting. Knowing where to place yourself as a fielder for each batter. I actually buy that....

I also think Kelly did a pretty darn good job of keeping the ball in the field and allowing the defense to defend. Other teams are sure having a much harder time of it while playing Duke. Duke may end up being a really really good team this year as they have returned a ton of production from last year.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I second the comment about a good scouting report being part of an overall game plan to take away strengths of your opponent and enhance your own advantages! Good points!

I am still a bit damp behind the ears when it comes to Specific Softball Strategies. I refer back to Ms. Mendez who taught me that a pitcher throwing a breaking-down-and-away pitch to a lefty slap hitter nullifies, to some degree, their advantage of gaining a step toward first base by making them stay in the batter's box a moment longer to make contact with the pitch....if they can even hit it at all. Makes complete sense!!! And that's just one small example of strategy!

That a pitcher would throw an inside or outside pitch to a specific batter to induce a hit to a certain part of the field (or ground ball or fly ball) makes perfect sense also. That the fielders are aware of this intent and make adjustments to support a specific pitch....well....just so next level to me - signed, The Damp Ears Guy.

The integration of these aspects on offense and defense/pitching are an art and a science. OU seems like they can do it as good as any and better than most.

I am enjoying growing in my appreciation and understanding of the sport.