Caleb Williams

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Three5s!

Post by Three5s! »

Bottom post of the previous page:

StatesEye wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:11 am No hard feeling for Caleb Williams with me.

I was pretty disappointed he didn't stay. I had a feeling he was starting to see OU as his school, program and team.........taking a proud and protective ownership like Baker did when he first arrived. Anyway, and like others have stated, I also believe whether he stayed or left for USC was entirely (or almost so) dictated by Papa. If OU had ponied up the NIL money to keep him, which had to be exorbitant, then both Papa and Caleb are perfectly happy to stay in Norman. Maybe not, though. Papa could've used any offer by OU to get a larger counter-off from the Rubbersocks. I mean, how do we know that didn't happen, and when Papa came back to OU asking for a counter-counter offer, OU said no. Could've happened......who knows? Whatever the case, it was strange that Caleb hung around so long after the bowl game instead of immediately following Riley if that was what Caleb really wanted first and foremost.

I wish nothing for him but the success he deserves, and that is something still waiting to be written. He's got to go earn it. As incredibly talented Caleb is, that alone isn't going to bring the success he wants. There is a part of me that feels sorry for him. The spectacle of a twenty-something young man heave sobbing into his mother's arms after a major setback is textbook evidence of a psychologically damaging overbearing father that does nothing but criticize his son. The son places immense effort and value in receiving the father's approval, but it never comes..... In fact, its always just the opposite......never good enough. Very, very sad if that's the case, and if so, the first step toward success is for Caleb to insert non-negotiable ground rules in how Papa interacts with him.
Are you a shrink? Or maybe an author of chick novels? I hope he does great and becomes a great man, not just a QB. He shows a lot of good signs, but is still young and the rest will play out as he matures. Suggesting that HE sets non-negotiable rules for his own dad based on internet chatter is a pretty big leap on your read of the situation. Anyway, the guy is a hell of a player and a human highlight reel because of his effort and ability. I will pull for him because he came to OU and he stayed for the bowl game instead of bailing on his teammates. I love his continued support of OU. No real reason to do that unless it is real.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Three5s! wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:22 pm
StatesEye wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:11 am No hard feeling for Caleb Williams with me.

I was pretty disappointed he didn't stay. I had a feeling he was starting to see OU as his school, program and team.........taking a proud and protective ownership like Baker did when he first arrived. Anyway, and like others have stated, I also believe whether he stayed or left for USC was entirely (or almost so) dictated by Papa. If OU had ponied up the NIL money to keep him, which had to be exorbitant, then both Papa and Caleb are perfectly happy to stay in Norman. Maybe not, though. Papa could've used any offer by OU to get a larger counter-off from the Rubbersocks. I mean, how do we know that didn't happen, and when Papa came back to OU asking for a counter-counter offer, OU said no. Could've happened......who knows? Whatever the case, it was strange that Caleb hung around so long after the bowl game instead of immediately following Riley if that was what Caleb really wanted first and foremost.

I wish nothing for him but the success he deserves, and that is something still waiting to be written. He's got to go earn it. As incredibly talented Caleb is, that alone isn't going to bring the success he wants. There is a part of me that feels sorry for him. The spectacle of a twenty-something young man heave sobbing into his mother's arms after a major setback is textbook evidence of a psychologically damaging overbearing father that does nothing but criticize his son. The son places immense effort and value in receiving the father's approval, but it never comes..... In fact, its always just the opposite......never good enough. Very, very sad if that's the case, and if so, the first step toward success is for Caleb to insert non-negotiable ground rules in how Papa interacts with him.
Are you a shrink? Or maybe an author of chick novels? I hope he does great and becomes a great man, not just a QB. He shows a lot of good signs, but is still young and the rest will play out as he matures. Suggesting that HE sets non-negotiable rules for his own dad based on internet chatter is a pretty big leap on your read of the situation. Anyway, the guy is a hell of a player and a human highlight reel because of his effort and ability. I will pull for him because he came to OU and he stayed for the bowl game instead of bailing on his teammates. I love his continued support of OU. No real reason to do that unless it is real.
I only suggested he set those rules if the situation I described existed. Odds are that there is nothing like that, at least to that degree, in the relationship between Caleb and his father. However, Caleb lost a college football game that effectively eliminated his team from a chance at a conference title and a playoff birth. His freaking grandmother didn't die in a tragic accident! Whatever the reason for this extremely odd behavior for a young adult man in response to that particular situation isn't healthy. If you think there are no red flags to that sort of behavior, fine. Most people don't need to be a "shrink" to recognize Caleb's behavior, in that situation, as a very obvious sign of very abnormal emotional fragility or "lacking mental toughness" in a more common phrase.

Yes, Caleb's athletic ability is off the charts and produces spectacular highlight reals for Sports Center. However, there is also fundamentally sound QB play, which he increasingly digressed from as this season progressed. Afterall, his draft stock didn't fall because USC lost football games, and the behavior in question absolutely didn't help, either.

Lastly, I strongly suggest you tone down the attitude. You could have conveyed your opinion perfectly fine without your opening two sentences.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

bye
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

"lacking mental toughness"

BINGO StatesEye !
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

StatesEye wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 pm
Three5s! wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:22 pm

I only suggested he set those rules if the situation I described existed. Odds are that there is nothing like that, at least to that degree, in the relationship between Caleb and his father. However, Caleb lost a college football game that effectively eliminated his team from a chance at a conference title and a playoff birth. His freaking grandmother didn't die in a tragic accident! Whatever the reason for this extremely odd behavior for a young adult man in response to that particular situation isn't healthy. If you think there are no red flags to that sort of behavior, fine. Most people don't need to be a "shrink" to recognize Caleb's behavior, in that situation, as a very obvious sign of very abnormal emotional fragility or "lacking mental toughness" in a more common phrase.

Yes, Caleb's athletic ability is off the charts and produces spectacular highlight reals for Sports Center. However, there is also fundamentally sound QB play, which he increasingly digressed from as this season progressed. Afterall, his draft stock didn't fall because USC lost football games, and the behavior in question absolutely didn't help, either.

Lastly, I strongly suggest you tone down the attitude. You could have conveyed your opinion perfectly fine without your opening two sentences.
Michael Vick was a human highlight reel also but he didn't study the game like great QB's will do. Can you imagine someone like Vick if he was a student of the game like Baker is? He would be unbeatable.
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

All I will say is that he loves his Mother and Dad loves Riley and loves OU and their fans. He loves Riley more than OU but he hates texas and that good for me. I wished that he would have stayed but it is What It Is! :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

What it is? You ole friend. I must wonder though does Caleb stills love mule shoe? The kid is not stupid, & maybe has learned something
threw this whole thing. We know he listened to his father, as any kid would. But as time goes by we all look back & must question
his actions. He did himself No favor going with Muleshoe. Name one thing he gained by following him there.Does anyone think SC will
erect a statue in front of there stadium of him? He would have received the Heisman here the same as he did there. Most likely
Two. Our team would have been much better if he would have stayed. He will realize that in the future if he has not already. He would
have fit right in Lebbys system no question with his run past ability’s.
I whole nothing against him, because of the influence his father had over him. Now if his father was not in the equation I would not. That
is my reason in my feeling on this topic.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: