Battle Series Game #5 Tonight at Marita Hynes - Dress warmly!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OUBeliever56A wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:59 pm Hypothetically, here is a question:

Knowing what we see now, fill in the blank for the 4 questions below.

An outfield of: Pickering in LF, Boone in CF, Coor in RF is ___________ (better / the same as / worst) than and outfield of: Boone in LF, Coleman in CF, Torres in RF.

An outfield of: Pickering in LF, Boone in CF, Coor in RF is ___________ (better / the same as / worst) than and outfield of: Brito in LF, Coleman in RF, Boone in RF.

An outfield of: Pickering in LF, Boone in CF, Coor in RF is ___________ (better / the same as / worst) than and outfield of: Donihoo in LF, Coleman in RF, Mendes in RF.

An outfield of: Pickering in LF, Boone in CF, Coor in RF is ___________ (70% as good / 80% as good / 90% as good / the same) as the outfield of: Boone in LF, Coleman in CF, Coor/Pickering in RF.

Just curious how everyone feels about this.

Shhhhh - This may mean that Coleman would play 1B........Keep this a secret!.....
I think all of the above are worse than all the ones on the right side with the last one 70% as good.
For me, until you can show me that Boone (or Coor or Pickering) can leap 3 feet in the air to rob home runs way over the wall like Coleman does (WCWS 2022 and WCWS 2023), then I have trouble taking Coleman out of CF. She has the experience and athleticism to do that on a regular basis.

If Coleman moves to 1B, she needs some more practice. That throw into centerfield reminded me a lot of the meltdown that happened to the Cowgirls in '22 WCWS semi's that allowed Texas to back into the Finals against us. I smiled at the irony of that play.
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

The last few posts would fall under the category of "First World Problems" (FWIW)
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

If we're trying to find someone to cover 1B.....why not try Pickering there since we tried her at 2B? First seems to be a little too awkward for Jennings, and that would keep Coor in RF where we can use her arm to throw people out trying to go to third or home. Keeps Pick in the lineup as well. Don't know if she's ever played there or not, but Coleman and Jennings both have struggled there so far. And if we are trying to plan for 1B, then what's up with Parker and Sanders--are they worse off then we thought?
aka Crimson47
EMan

Post by EMan »

Sooneryankee13 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:24 pm I'm definitely not taking the best cf in college softball out of cf..
This. Coleman is hands down the best CF in college softball. No way in the world am I moving her from that position without extreme extenuating circumstances.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

'56, I haven't gone back and re-read all of your post game summaries--I'm lazy, and I'm busy with other things, but I figured you'd remember off the top of your head--since you are giving us things to think about with Coleman and 1B.
I've read away that Coleman does not seem to be 100% and she's a bit limited, perhaps by choice? Do you recall if she had a bad fall lunging for a fly ball? or did she hit the wall hard? or something else? I'm sure you would have mentioned it in your reviews---just thought you might recall?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:25 pm '56, I haven't gone back and re-read all of your post game summaries--I'm lazy, and I'm busy with other things, but I figured you'd remember off the top of your head--since you are giving us things to think about with Coleman and 1B.
I've read away that Coleman does not seem to be 100% and she's a bit limited, perhaps by choice? Do you recall if she had a bad fall lunging for a fly ball? or did she hit the wall hard? or something else? I'm sure you would have mentioned it in your reviews---just thought you might recall?
I know that during the last season in the spring she had an issue with her left leg of some sort. i think it was more ankle than a knee. Something was tender a few times especially if she had to make a sharp cut or stop quickly in the outfield. Maybe that lingers on for the fall right now. I would say she is no less than 95% and with saying that is she 100% better than 98% of all other players probably.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I would be SHOCKED if Jayda plays an inning in a game that means something anywhere but CF. Only way this happens is if she’s battling an injury that limits her in CF, but not at 1st.

I think the fall is all about players NOT named Coleman, Jennings, Hanson, Boone, Brito, May, Maxwell. Everyone else is practicing for increased inning count in 2024. I think the Fall is about Patty putting those players in circumstances and positions that matter for her determining who gets the leftover innings. If JC or TJ are at 1B, I believe it’s only because Patty wanted to see someone else in center (JC) or middle infield (TJ).
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:39 pm If we're trying to find someone to cover 1B.....why not try Pickering there since we tried her at 2B? First seems to be a little too awkward for Jennings, and that would keep Coor in RF where we can use her arm to throw people out trying to go to third or home. Keeps Pick in the lineup as well. Don't know if she's ever played there or not, but Coleman and Jennings both have struggled there so far. And if we are trying to plan for 1B, then what's up with Parker and Sanders--are they worse off then we thought?
I think Pinkering was at 2B for a third of an inning out of her willingness to go play there due to a shortage of infielders. Nothing more than that.

Could she play 1B? She has good softball IQ I think. She could probably do well for 97% of the plays. But that one short hop on a throw or a throw into the runner might be problems. It is hard to practice those without risking injury.

I was not really proposing that the CF is moved to 1B at all. It was just a question as to how a ned defensive outfield measure up against the last few years.

I trust that Sanders and Parker will be good to go come January.