Hansen named to Team USA Softball

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Hansen named to Team USA Softball

Post by OUBeliever56A »

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Team-USA/Women

Every congratulations possible goes to Kinzie Hansen.

Alo's absence is somewhat expected. But not deserved. If there is a better hitter in softball, I would not know who it is. How she is not on the team is hard to explain and understand

Jefferson. Really. I continue to be amazed at people thinking she is a great player.

As sophomores in college it is not surprising that Jennings and Coleman were not selected but I would play both of them at 2B over Jefferson. Easily!
cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

So Janae Jefferson was basically selected over Alo. Kinzie is worthy but the selection process for this team has always been a bit of a joke. I’ve yet to be impressed with Ali Carda and she always makes the team. OU players have been almost non existent on this team.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is what I don't understand about the selections.

It seems to me that the process is almost completely decided by the tryout performances AND/OR by previously held opinions about the players from prior experience.

Due to that, Alo has to probably hit a HR every at bat during the tryouts. She should not have to do that. She has already proved via her D1 play that she is the premier power hitter in the USA. She can play OF or even 1B well enough to justify playing full time if she is not used a DP to replace the pitcher in the lineup. Period, end of discussion. As soon as she makes an out, her tryouts is almost over. IF a coach had one current player as a batter to send to the plate in a tie ball game with 2 outs who would the coach choose to send to the plate? In my mind there is no better selection than Alo at the present time. She hits for a higher average than almost anyone. She gets on base at a rate via the walk and OB% comparable to anyone. She hits more HRs than anyone.
How she does not make at least the replacement players is beyond understanding. I hope she hit 40 HRs this season and Coach Tarr is left with single hitters to try and win the World Title with players like Jefferson.

I do not say any of that with regard to Hansen. If she is not currently the best catcher in D1 softball I would have to see it demonstrated why that is not true. She (Hansen) is probably the best power hitter that was selected except for maybe Hannah Flippen.

I can see why Abbott, Fouts, Hansen, Lorenz and McCleney were chosen. I can be convinced to accept Mulipola and Aguilar and perhaps Echols also being on the team. That leaves 8 spots (11 with replacements) to be chosen. Please do not try to tell me that Alo and Jennings and perhaps J Coleman are not worthy of a selection looking at the remaining slots. Lyons is as well but was not even provided the opportunity to make an attempt.

Example: I do not know much about Kayla Kowalik except her offensive numbers. But if she can catch, her and Hansen are a much better combination to play catcher than Hansen and Mulipola. Mulipola is just a less effective copy of Hansen. Select a player that gives options for a change from the other player at the position. Thoughts like this, would go along way to fielding a better team in international play.

But I am just a voice in the wilderness that is not heard by anyone that matters.
cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

Janae Jefferson Avg .446, HR-5, RBI-26.
Tiare Jennings Avg. .462 HR-27, RBI-92

Pretty big difference there.

Anyone remember when Kinzie Hansen didn't even make the All Big 12 team. Makes the Big 12 look a little silly.
raven15

Post by raven15 »

Did Odicci Alexander try out? One the best hitting teams ever in college softball and only get one player on the roster. They should be embarrassed.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

I guess that I am going with this is unbelievable . i am very happy for KInzie but how can they overlook Tiare Jennings. You can't.

I will do a real comparison but I am fairly sure that statically that Tiare is better than Jefferson on both offense and defense.
::rice2:: :dude:
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Using SLG+OBP as a barometer, and their NCAA career stats, here are the hitters ranked (with their college positions):

1.310 Hansen (C)
1.284 McCleney (CF)
1.254 Aguilar (SS)
1.236 Lorenz (1B/LF)
1.171 Mulipola (C)
1.135 Flippen (2B)
1.097 Carda (P/1B)
1.069 Pleasants (P/SS)
1.041 Nickles (CF)
1.026 Moultrie (CF)

Texas and Florida's sites wanted me to compute career stats manually from season stats. I was unmotivated, so Jefferson (2B) and Echols (3B) are missing.

Pleasants and Carda also pitch, although it doesn't appear that they expect Pleasants to pitch.

FYI, Alo is 1.457 for her NCAA career
Crazy OU Tweeter

Post by Crazy OU Tweeter »

If you mention @soonertimes in a tweet then if you wait a bit that tweet should should show up in the SoonerTimes Twitter Feed.

Or you can copy your tweet directly into a post on the SoonerTimes Twitter Feed forum

I like to tweet about :ou: women's sports

:ou: :rice: :dude:
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

I would love an exhibition three game series this season between OU with Hansen vs USA team, but they'll likely be afraid to do it.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Based only on watching a few games in the Olympics, national level softball was boring to me. The pitchers (at least for Japan and USA) were so much better than the hitters, it was truly a dink and dunk game. Just wasn’t compelling to watch and took the power aspect out of the game. I know the pitchers are outstanding, but I love college softball because there can be a lot of offense and action. International softball, not so much.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

AustinTXSooner wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:41 am Using SLG+OBP as a barometer, and their NCAA career stats, here are the hitters ranked (with their college positions):

1.310 Hansen (C)
1.284 McCleney (CF)
1.254 Aguilar (SS)
1.236 Lorenz (1B/LF)
1.171 Mulipola (C)
1.135 Flippen (2B)
1.097 Carda (P/1B)
1.069 Pleasants (P/SS)
1.041 Nickles (CF)
1.026 Moultrie (CF)

Texas* and Florida's sites wanted me to compute career stats manually from season stats. I was unmotivated, so Jefferson (2B) and Echols (3B) are missing.

Pleasants and Carda also pitch, although it doesn't appear that they expect Pleasants to pitch.

FYI, Alo is 1.457 for her NCAA career
Excellent work......thanks for your effort.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Good Morning All.... First time posting newbie here....so don't be too hard on me just yet....
Question for '56 or anyone else that may know.... Is Jayda OK? Saw on another board she got hit in the head and knocked out of the trials in concussion protocol.
thanks....
aka Crimson47
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Welcome aboard @TropicalSooner .
::rice2:: :dude:
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:17 am Good Morning All.... First time posting newbie here....so don't be too hard on me just yet....
Question for '56 or anyone else that may know.... Is Jayda OK? Saw on another board she got hit in the head and knocked out of the trials in concussion protocol.
thanks....
I heard from a grandfather of an OU player who was not at the tryouts that J Coleman is fine.

It was a very ill-conceived drill by the Team USA staff. To have two hitter hitting soft toss at home plate at the same time and not alternating the tosses and waiting for the ball to be fielded is lunacy IMO. Even if you have one hitting left and one hitting right, the tosses have to planned to not have the hitters hitting the balls to the same outfield area. It is almost impossible to do that. If you want to double up this hitting drill, you need two fields.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

OU_Tom wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 pm I guess that I am going with this is unbelievable . i am very happy for KInzie but how can they overlook Tiare Jennings. You can't.

I will do a real comparison but I am fairly sure that statically that Tiare is better than Jefferson on both offense and defense.
I am happy and excited for Kinzie! I hope all the OU players including Kinzie are able to properly compartmentalize what has happened at team USA, and all the Sooner players are able to not let the questionable selection process get under their respective skins.