Transfer Postings and Speculations--2024

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

NiJaree Canady to hit transfer portal, OU making the move?

by: Bob Przybylo
•about 12 hours

When you're OU softball, you don't ever have to hit panic for the transfer portal. The good ones? They want to come your way just as much as you want them.

The softball transfer portal window closes Monday, and OU has plenty of open spots. And now we have a real idea of who a legitimate target could be.

A game-changer of a target that would send shockwaves through the college softball world.

Multiple reports Saturday said Stanford star pitcher NiJaree Canady is expected to hit the transfer portal, as early as Monday. She is not in the portal as of Saturday night, but it does feel like the paperwork will be official by Monday.

OU fans simply wonder – is Canady a Sooner? And you know what? It sounds incredibly possible. It would be the second consecutive season where head coach Patty Gasso shakes up the softball community.

The same thing happened last summer when OU added former Oklahoma State star Kelly Maxwell. We all know how that turned out. Maxwell helped OU earn its fourth consecutive national championship last week. And earned Most Outstanding Player honors.

But OU's pitching staff has been depleted. Maxwell, Nicole May and Karlie Keeney are all out of eligibility. Redshirt freshman SJ Geurin entered the portal earlier this week.

That leaves just Kierston Deal and Paytn Monticelli as pitchers who have thrown in a college game. You know the Sooners are looking to add arms. Canady, obviously, would check a lot of boxes.

After being named National Freshman of the Year in 2023, Canady didn't slow down as a sophomore. In fact, she got even better.

Canady was 24-7 this season with a 0.73 ERA and five saves. She threw a whopping 230.2 innings, allowing 116 hits, 24 earned runs with a ridiculous 337 strikeouts. Included in that were 24 complete games and nine shutouts.

A native of Topeka, Kan., Canady would have two seasons of eligibility remaining. Canady has been the catalyst toward Stanford reaching the Women's College World Series semifinals in back-to-back seasons.

OU has at least 4-5 spots to fill through the portal. Geurin, Quincee Lilio and Avery Hodge all hit the portal earlier this week.

The Sooners, right now, have eight returning players and eight freshmen. This next week, though, is expected to be a big one by Gasso and OU to start piecing together the 2025 puzzle.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I haven't ruled out the possibility that Canady is transferring because she doesn't like Stanford. Maybe the culture of a place like OU - where the players openly comment on their faith in God and how that helps them to realize they are valuable as a person and not just a softball player - which means they are loved and valued win or lose. Maybe that is something that is appealing to Canady. If it is just strictly money, I doubt OU will get her. That will probably be more like texas, A&M, Missouri, Florida State, Florida, Alabama, who knows.

If she is transferring because maybe, just maybe she saw what Patty said about Kelly - the change that she made that will carry with her the rest of her life - putting aside her fear and realizing the best of herself - and the way that Patty defended Kelly and the staff/team/culture rehabbed her almost. Maybe that is a bit dramatic, but we all saw it. Perhaps wanting something that will stick with her for the rest of her life is what is drawing Canady. (Notice that Patty has repeatedly mentioned that "higher level success" that Kelly reached and the fact that she would never pitch a pitcher game after game ever again like she did with Paige)....Perhaps Patty is seeking to heal/grow/mature the WHOLE person with her program and perhaps that is what may draw Canady. Perhaps that is what no other coach has latched onto - and perhaps that is a big reason for her being the GOAT. Perhaps Canady has figured that out? Who knows. We will know more this week I would assume - whether it is money or something else.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: In the area of keeping players happy, Patty has made statements in the past that it his her job to field the best team possible. That’s why just about every year you see a couple of stud freshmen starting over previous veteran starters. She will not bring a player in that doesn’t fit her program or that may be a possible team cancer. Patty used to try to keep everyone happy but has stopped trying because it isn’t possible. With the amount of talent she has at her disposal that all want to start as freshman. Sure Stanfords coach will make allegations and scream for investigation. Let her, if you have done nothing wrong there’s nothing to worry about.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Didn't Canady say she wanted to end up some place where she doesn't have to pitch so many innings? I thought I read that somewhere.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

That has been mentioned. There are a few teams that she could join that may have better supporting pitching staff but where OU separates themselves from other teams is their great defense and ability to give great run support. Also there is probably not to many teams that can lay $250,000 in NIL money on the table
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Some other OU fan told me she heard the bidding was at $350K, and that Patty said or insinuated that was too much.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

It's hard for me to see us paying more for her than we pay her coach......but who knows, I guess.
aka Crimson47
EMan

Post by EMan »

IF it's not ALL about money (and who knows what the truth is on that subject) another factor to consider is the fact that Canady has personally witnessed the Sooners and their fanbase at the WCWS. I'm sure she's wondered what it would be like to have that environment on her side. That has to be a big plus in the Sooners' favor.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

If it’s $350K, it’s worth it. This is a generational talent that can bring a 5 peat. IF OU doesn’t offer, someone will. And that team will win a championship. All it takes is one championship and a recruiting dominoes can take affect.
soonershok

Post by soonershok »

TropicalSooner wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:21 am It's hard for me to see us paying more for her than we pay her coach......but who knows, I guess.
Gasso's base salary is $300k but her overall package is a great deal more. Well over $1 million. Or are you referring to Rocha?
MNSooner

Post by MNSooner »

Gasso’s salary is $1.7 million with compensation, according to the Oklahoman.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Maybe Loves will kick in a 100 K to go with the 250k that has been reported. Whoever lands her while while greatly increasing their chances of winning a title it is not guaranteed. It only takes Candy having a bad day to beat her. It does put more pressure on your pitchers to shut out her offense so your team can try to get a couple of runs off of her.
People talk about OU dominance being bad for college softball. I think this deal is much worse. She gets 350,000, you are going to have every super star looking for a similar deal. But it’s the college sports world in which we live. As I said on another post and other posters, if takes a competitor to a couple of championships then that team can get the upper hand in recruiting. We already spen millions on a new stadium. What’s another $350 K to insure a championship team plays in it
Last edited by JSULL60 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

EMan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:32 am IF it's not ALL about money (and who knows what the truth is on that subject) another factor to consider is the fact that Canady has personally witnessed the Sooners and their fanbase at the WCWS. I'm sure she's wondered what it would be like to have that environment on her side. That has to be a big plus in the Sooners' favor.
:handsup:
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

soonershok wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:34 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:21 am It's hard for me to see us paying more for her than we pay her coach......but who knows, I guess.
Gasso's base salary is $300k but her overall package is a great deal more. Well over $1 million. Or are you referring to Rocha?
yes. Rocha is 250k
aka Crimson47
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Roacha will probably get a raise
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Balancing team chemistry, NIL and the transfer portal is like walking a tightrope. I trust Patty to do what's best for her team.

If Canady enters the portal today, which is the last day a player can enter, she probably won't announce her decision for a few days. If a pitcher at the school she chooses is unhappy with her coming to their team, do they have to wait until the portal opens again to transfer?