2024 Softball brackets

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OU_Tom

2024 Softball brackets

Post by OU_Tom »

::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

It looks like we are in bracket 2 with UCLA and we are waiting for 2 other teams to join us
soonerTroll2

Post by soonerTroll2 »

:ou: waiting on Mizzu v Duke. UCLA waiting on Tenn v 'Bama.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Screenshot_20240526-155722.png
Screenshot_20240526-155722.png (242.45 KiB) Viewed 523 times
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

I am totally confused. I thought we played the winner of duke/mo. ???
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

jmac11 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:17 pm I am totally confused. I thought we played the winner of duke/mo. ???
We should - I think they just throw them into the 4 boxes randomly. The way it traditionally works is

Top Bracket
#1 seed v #8 seed
#4 seed v #5 seed
The winner of those 2 games plays each other in the winners bracket*. The winner of that game sits while all the losers then play each other until double elimination and the the team that comes out with 1 loss plays the winner bracket winner and has to beat them 2 x.

Bottom Bracket
#2 seed v #7 seed
#3 seed v #6 seed
The winner of those 2 games plays each other in the winners bracket*. The winner of that game sits while all the losers then play each other until double elimination and the the team that comes out with 1 loss plays the winner bracket winner and has to beat them 2 x.

Then the 2 teams that make it out of each bracket play each other best 2 out of 3 for the Champ.

The thing that is weird, is that the loser of each winners bracket game switches to the other bracket. So there is a possibility, for example, if Stanford is #8 and they beat Texas and then Stanford, say plays Florida who beats OSU, and Stanford wins, Florida would come into our bracket. If we beat Duke for example, and UCLA beats Alabama, then we play UCLA and win, UCLA would go to the top bracket. I'm not sure I really like that weird switch, but it is what they do....
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

My picks -
Bama v UCLA - even though Bama played amazingly to get there, I kind of think UCLA has been too hot and will win this one.
OU v Duke - OU 'nough said
Stanford v Texas - I'm taking Stanford as I don't think texas matches up well against Canady. They lost earlier in the year when they played against her (they won a game against Stanford against a different pitcher, but you know Canady is going to be pitching that game). I'm kind of thinking Stanford will be the team that comes out of that bracket for the championship.
OSU v Florida - not sure on this one. I think it will be a pretty evenly matched game. OSU won an earlier match in like February 3-0, but I do think this is a different Florida team. Wouldn't be surprised if either team won. But I think either will also lose to Stanford the next game.

I'm starting to think that Stanford is best team in the field left (not named Oklahoma) and it very well may be up to OU to have to beat them 2 out of 3 for the championship. Canady is just that good of a picture this time of the year.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

My thinking kind of mirrors yours SG....
and I'll go with Florida just because I want OSU to just go away.
Also, I think one of the west coast teams will wind up against us in the finals--just don't know which one.
Assuming OU and Stanford are on winning paths initially, Ucla would be sent over to Stanford's bracket, and then we'd have to see who survives. Bit of Trivia--UCLA is very familiar with Canady having swept their conference series with them and beating Canady twice. So it may be the Bruins coming back from the losers bracket that we'd face off against. I would like our chances then since the Bruins would have spent a lot of pitching capital on defeating the Trees twice.
aka Crimson47