Notable Transfer Portal entries

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

And don’t forget Nelly will be in that mix also. We already have a bunch of young bats reporting for duty this fall. I expect there will be 2-3 that are capable of being among top freshmen in the nation.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

And the overflow from the infield will probably find a home in the outfield.
We should be in good shape fielding wise.
But I would always take a top flight pitcher. Or two.
aka Crimson47
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:33 am
cushcreekmont wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:57 am I have to trust Patty to wait until June to see ALL the players that portal. Ruby Meylan might be a top pick, or maybe Groff.

Portal wise based on the losses and the incoming frosh, I would guess one or two pitchers. I would HOPE a shortstop and 2nd base that can hit 300 as batting average and not a slugging one.
I think are about 95% sure we have at least two or three incoming freshman SS's that can hit .300 with some power and play 2B and SS well. The other one (there are four) can do that and play 3B or 1B.

Why would we pick up someone in the portal that does no more than that?
Last year it worried me that sanders was brought in and chosen over Erickson to play 1st base. We all know erickson transferred and is a stud catcher and hitter for florida. I hope Sander's bat gets hot in the wcws. Surely her slump is about over.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:33 am
cushcreekmont wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:57 am I have to trust Patty to wait until June to see ALL the players that portal. Ruby Meylan might be a top pick, or maybe Groff.

Portal wise based on the losses and the incoming frosh, I would guess one or two pitchers. I would HOPE a shortstop and 2nd base that can hit 300 as batting average and not a slugging one.
I think are about 95% sure we have at least two or three incoming freshman SS's that can hit .300 with some power and play 2B and SS well. The other one (there are four) can do that and play 3B or 1B.

Why would we pick up someone in the portal that does no more than that?
Fine. I have zero problem with a frosh SS and 2nd baseman. I have a big problem with Hodge and Lilio playing next year. If Patty has to have experience, I would hope for a Portal player over those two.
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Saw on another board a posting by a Washington Fan that Meylan was "Whooping it up" at Stillwater today for their game with Ariz.

That would make me physically ill if she wound up signing with them.

If she doesn't want to be a Sooner, fine---I'm ok with that. But OSU? That would be awful.
aka Crimson47
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:45 pm Saw on another board a posting by a Washington Fan that Meylan was "Whooping it up" at Stillwater today for their game with Ariz.

If she doesn't want to be a Sooner, fine---I'm ok with that. But OSU? That would be awful.
They will definitely be looking for a replacement for Kilfoyl. Ruby may not want to come to OU and "follow" Jordy. Who knows though - I would think smart pitchers would go where they can play for a great pitching coach. Not sure about OSU's pitching coach - Kilfoyl probably didn't need any coaching. I think I remember hearing Kelly say she learned more this year than her previous 4. So, there ya go. But I'm sure we'll get a decent look from any transferring pitcher. No doubt Patty and Rocha will want another experienced pitcher alongside Deal next year.
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:45 pm Saw on another board a posting by a Washington Fan that Meylan was "Whooping it up" at Stillwater today for their game with Ariz.

Ugh! I sure hope that doesn't happen. I am.not a Kenny g fan much less an Aggie fan.

Did we recruit her at all out of hs or just jordy?

Hopefully she isn't already planning to be a puke.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I had allowed myself to get my hopes up after reading some encouraging comments from someone supposedly "in the know" about these things.
Now I wish I had just ignored him and moved on.
I get that new HS grads and freshmen to be this coming fall have signed NLI's that you can't get out of. But with Washington seeming to be having a rather large exodus, I wonder if their soon to be freshman pitcher is re-thinking her choice---or if there is even anything she could do about it.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I saw this on another Board:

To me, this can only mean one of two things (or maybe both!)

1. Jordy Bahl has been pronounced fit for duty and has returned to the roster and starts practice and strength and conditioning for next year....

or

2. They were able to snag Ruby Meylan.

ugh!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Do not forget about Mallia Groff, a Lefty, that is in the portal. She was the NE Player of the year from HS in 2023-2024. She will be Soph after her fine freshman year at So Illinois. She also has a twin sister that can catch. More of a defensive player, but NE needs a good catcher.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:24 am Do not forget about Mallia Groff, a Lefty, that is in the portal. She was the NE Player of the year from HS in 2023-2024. She will be Soph after her fine freshman year at So Illinois. She also has a twin sister that can catch. More of a defensive player, but NE needs a good catcher.
You make a fair point.
These girls are from Omaha, and besides getting a quality pitcher in Maddia, her sister Rylinn is a lot better catcher than what Jordy would have been throwing to this year. She couldn't really catch very well from the "other" pitchers on the staff. I can't imagine how it would have looked with her trying to catch Jordy's pitches. Although, I have to say that probably nobody will be able to catch Jordy as good as Hansen did.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I am sure that you saw Hansen, Lee and Nugent caught Bahl with their left knee on the ground at times. The reason was two pitches that Jordy threw. Both inside to a mighty.

Notice that the Sooner catcher did not do that this year.

The group of catchers that have trouble catching Jordy is a very large group.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

BTW, if you have not checked, there are work out videos posted by Jordy from her rehab and recent workouts.

She is going to be fine.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

I have no problem with Bahl. I do not wish her ill.

YET, as she is no longer a Sooner, I do NOT care what she does or how she progresses as a NEBRASKA player!
texsa sucks!
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

cushcreekmont wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:10 pm I have no problem with Bahl. I do not wish her ill.

YET, as she is no longer a Sooner, I do NOT care what she does or how she progresses as a NEBRASKA player!
Ditto. She's a total stud, but I won't follow her now that she ditched us. I'm sure we'll see her for 3 more years in the wcws since she will be a medical redshirt sophomore next season.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

She has 2 years eligibility left - she was a Sooner for 2 years and a redshirt in 2024. 2 years left.