Say Hello to the Sooner Bats! Sooners down FSU 11-3 in run-rule!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Say Hello to the Sooner Bats! Sooners down FSU 11-3 in run-rule!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The story of the game on Thursday was two-fold, maybe three-fold. The first was the weather. Would the weather stay away for the game to be played? It did but it sounds like there was some significant damage down in SE Oklahoma last night. Our thoughts are with the Oklahoman's that are affected.

The second game-fold was Kelly Maxwell's gutsy effort in the circle for the Sooners. Maxwell threw 118 pitches in 5 innings. That is an average of more than 23 an inning which is veryhigh for her. She faced a FSU lineup that was very effective at fouling pitchers off to continue their at bats. FSU fouled off 28 pitches in the 5 innings against Maxwell. Maxwell threw 65 strikes in her 118 pitches for 55% strikes, which is low for her. Maxwell prevailed however as she allowed 4 hits (all singles) along with 6 walks, 2 HB and 3 Ks in her 5 innings. She earned the CG win with her tough mental attitude. I do not think she had her best stuff, especially that pitch that goes away from a right-handed batter. But she just kept throwing. She stranded 8 FSU runners on base in a couple key situation early in the game to keep the FSU runs limited.

The Sooners made two very nice plays behind Maxwell to help. One was on a ground ball in the first inning into the hole between third and SS. Jennings moved to her right and dove to catch the ball and threw from her knees to Brito at third to get Mudge who was trying to sneak from 2B to 3B on the play. Jennings would have had no play to first base on the play, but the aggressive play by Mudge gave Jennings a chance to make a nice play and she did. The other play was with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs trailing 5-2, FSU asked Mudge to bunt the runners over. Brito was quick to charge the ball and on a pitch up in the zone, Mudge bunted the ball on a line straight to Brito. Brito caught the ball and quickly threw to 1B to get a double play as the FSU runner was caught off base. The threat of Jayda Coleman's arm also kept the FSU from sending a runner on a single to CF late in the game with runners starting at 1st and 2nd on the play. FSU did not even think of sending the runner. Coleman looked disappointed that she did not get to make that throw under pressure.

The third fold of the game was the Sooner offense. It was nice to see the Sooner bats rule the game. The Sooners banged out 11 hits, 8 walks, 1 HBP with 2 doubles and 3 HRs.
  • Alyssa Brito had a big game, with 2 HRs a double and a walk in 3 at bats to pick up 3 RBIs and 2 runs scored.
  • Kasidi Pickering was 2 for 2 with 2 walks, an RBI and 2 runs scored.
  • Tiare Jennings was 1 for 3 with a walk and a solo HR in the first inning. It was her 95th HR of her career to tie Lauren Chamberlain for the 2nd most of all time as a Sooner and 3rd most in D1 history. Her RBI was her in 308th of her career. She is 7 RBIs behind Laura Espinosa with 315 for 4th all time and she is 2nd on the Sooner list.
  • Kinzie Hansen was 1 for 2 with a walk and 2-run HR and 2 runs scored. The HR was Hansen's 50th HR of her career. She joins 6 other Sooners with 50 career HRs.
  • Alynah Torres was 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBIs.
  • Rylie Boone was 1 for 1 with a walk and a HBP as she scored 2 RS and laid down a perfect bunt that resulted in an errant throw where a Sooner scored in the 3rd inning.
  • Ella Parker was 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
  • Cydney Sanders was 1 for 3 while hitting the ball hard twice in the game.
  • Jayda Coleman was 0- 3 with a RS and a walk.
The Sooners scored in every inning with 1 in the 1st and 2nd innings, 3 in the 3rd and 5 in the 4th and 1 in the 5th with a walk-off walk by Pickering to force a run home with the bases loaded for a run-rule win.

I really thought FSU's pitching looked very average last night. All three pitchers were very hittable and OU did just that. The Seminoles only have one more likely pitcher to use tonight and she is Mimi Goodin, a freshman, who has a 4.25 ERA. I wonder if she starts tonight at 7 PM or if FSU returns with Danley in the circle. FSU has to figure out a way to be better in the circle.

For the Sooners, the choice is Nicole May, Kierston Deal or maybe Karlie Keeney. You could tell that FSU can hit by watching them at the plate. I think Maxwell was effectively 'wild' last night to her benefit. If a pitcher throws too many pitches in the center of the plate, FSU will hit them hard. OU still has to pitch well to win the game tonight and they still have to hit what is thrown.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the Sooner win.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/5/23 ... r-regional

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Seeing Sanders and Torres squaring the ball was VERY encouraging. Even their outs were hard hit balls. I know FSU pitching staff is in tatters, but that might just be the recipe for adding some pop to the bottom of the line up. If Cyd and Alynna get a little confidence heading to OKC, I like our chances.

FSU has a very slim margin for a win in this series - they simply can not afford to give up base runners in key situations. Mudge has to wait to be sure that ball gets to the outfield - third base was hers easy if it gets through - easy out since it didn’t. On the Sac bunt - again - you have to check that the bunt isn’t in the air.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Last night you could feel the offensive swagger out of OU. It was almost to the point of intimidation. Every batter felt locked in, and even a lot of the outs were scorched. When this team has that kind of confidence going at the plate, they're almost impossible to beat. Even with a seemingly struggling effort out of Maxwell in the circle. Let's hope the offensive explosion is a precursor of things to come and they can carry this momentum forward. Maybe Patty has them dialed in and ready to peak at the right time.

And I agree with you, TN on those plays by FSU. I thought the play by Mudge trying to get to third was a really bad base-running mistake. That play was right in front of her. You have to make sure that ball gets through before taking off. As 56 mentioned, Tiare had no shot to get the runner at first so that was the only way OU was getting an out in that situation. Heads up by Tiare, but bad play by Mudge. And felt the same way about the popped-up-bunt-turned=DP. The runner has to do a better job of recognizing that bunt never had a chance.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!