ICYMI -- UCLA and Stanford

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

ICYMI -- UCLA and Stanford

Post by TropicalSooner »

Put on an incredible pitching duel last night that went for 9 innings with the Bruins putting across a run in the top of the ninth and held on to win 1-0.

Taylor Tinsley and NiJaree Canady put on a pitching clinic that was marred only by the questionable call at home plate as the Bruins put across the winning run on a questionable call of obstruction by the Stanford catcher that got the Stanford coach Jessica Allister thrown out of the game. The call was painfully reminiscent of the call against Hansen in Puerta Vallarta in February.

Above it all however was the performances by Tinsley and Canady. Both pitched the entire nine innings.
Tinsley had 15 K's
Canady had 12 K's

Most all for both pitchers were swinging K's.

Tinsley gave up 0 runs on 5 hits and no errors. She gave up no walks and had no HBP, and left all 5 batters with hits stranded.
Canady gave up 1 run on 8 hits and no errors. She gave up one walk and had one HBP, and left 8 runners stranded.

Here is a link to the game winning play with the questionable call:

aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I can see why there was controversy!

To my eyes, the catcher set up parallel to the infield edge of the baseline and in no way was completely blocking the runner's path to the plate. The catcher's back foot looked to be in front of the front of the plate and not between the runner and the plate.

That was not even a close call in my eyes - OUT! And a great play by the catcher!

Do they not do replays on such things?
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

That sure looks like a terrible call. That’s a shame for Stanford.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

They actually did a replay review...for awhile I think.
"Extended video review' i think is what they called it.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:44 am That sure looks like a terrible call. That’s a shame for Stanford.
That play was never obstruction, at any time. Before there was a rule, after the first rule, and after the revised rule.

Ridiculous that it was called obstruction.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

The new rule as written: leading edge of the plate is in fair territory so the catcher's knee coming down on the foul line by definition blocked part of the leading edge. Also, the new rule also doesn't require blocking the entire leading edge, just blocking any part of the leading edge is obstruction. Moreover, leaving a clear path for the runner to the back of the plate doesn't matter in the new rule. By rule as written, the catcher did obstruct. However, I believe in this case the "making a play on a thrown ball" exception or the "out by a mile" exception should have applied like they should have in the Hansen play.

On the other hand, by rule as written, blocking the back part of the plate is not obstruction by definition. Catcher should set up in foul territory and force the runners to go inside fair territory.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

The player was called "OUT" on the field, but changed to "Obstruction" upon a replay. Stanford got screwed on their own field!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

AllSooner wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 pm SCREWED ON THEIR OWN FIELD!
Say it ain't so! Shirley that's a rarity in Norman?!?!?...Sooner football says "hello there!"