Upcoming OU vs OSU Clash

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
viacool

Upcoming OU vs OSU Clash

Post by viacool »

Taking into account several recent past performances of of common opponents it seems that OU might be in a favorable position to win against OSU in their upcoming series. Although it seems that once these two teams get together you can often times throw out the previous stats. However in this case I'll give the edge to OU.

OSU/Tulsa - Tulsa 3 OSU 2 ---- ----------OU 8 - TU 0

OSU Scores from this past weekend + OU scores from their previous series with Iowa State:

L. Iowa St 5 - OSU 2 ........... W. OU 4 - Iowa State 0
L. Iowa St 2 - OSU O .......... W. OU 11 - Iowa State 2
W. OSU 10 - Iowa St 2.......... W. OU 14 - Iowa State 1 = Total points scored OU-29 - IU-3

I am going yo predict that the Sooners will sweep this series although some games might be tight. Anyone agree with me?
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Hmmm. Let’s talk about Houston - don’t have to beat osu this week.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Hope you are right about sweeping, but I've come to the point of not believing the "Team A, B, C" theory - Team A beats Team B, Team B beats team C, therefore Team A ought to whip Team C.

It doesn't seem like works any more than it doesn't work. We've seen that plenty of times in football.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Softball is such a head game. I realize all sports are, but I think softball and baseball are more than many sports, mostly because there's so much time to think without being physically active, especially while at the plate, batting, and waiting to bat.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

It works this way for me in my mind with any team OU is facing from here on out:

1.) It is about OU being the best OU can be, and not about the opponent's record, past scores, stats versus this or that, etc. We can beat any team. We can lose to any team. Depends on the OU team that comes to play...as well as the chaotic vagaries of stick and ball sports.
2.) OU has Enough of Everything to win-out the rest of the year IF we can play our best ball in all three phases down the stretch and into the post-season. We cannot afford to play great defense, have solid pitching, and no-show on offense....and expect to win. Surprisingly this year, I am wondering if the offense will show up more than the defense or pitching.
3.) OU might be the kind of team this year that is NOT going to "dominate" according to definitions of "domination." We might be the kind of team that has to scrap and scratch for a run or two, does not score for multiple innings, strands base-runners, or gives up a few more runs than all of us are "comfortable" with. The game may be 1 or 2 to nothing (either way) until OU goes gonzo and scores crooked numbers in a single inning....only to score ZERO for the rest of the game.

For whatever reason, the team is not the kind of team that "looks like" it is dominating the opposition. The stats appear to show that OU is more dominant than it appears. Their record is incredible. The batting stats are great. Pitching ERA is great. Defensive stats are at the top level

My point, at long last, is that this team this year is unique - they win and they lose for their reasons. That's all I can say and figure out for myself. OU may win a four-peat or not. Either way, this is what the team could do this year.

So, looking ahead to OSU, I am hoping for wins more than win-margins. If I were gonna guess right now (based on our recent Texas and BYU games) I hope we win 2 out of 3 games vs OSU. Period. I hope we are truly starting to "peak" and that shows up in the Houston and then OSU series....and we win all those games.

What does peaking mean this year for this team? And what if we are seeing OU's peak now?

I believe that the team is playing the best they can RIGHT NOW! I also don't think they are "saving a gear" for the post-season. The team absolutely has a chance to four-peat. I am saying that the way they do it this year, or don't, may look differently than 15 to 1 and 10 to 5 wins for the trophy. We had to escape Clemson and Canady on the way, too.
viacool

Post by viacool »

My point, at long last, is that this team this year is unique - they win and they lose for their reasons. That's all I can say and figure out for myself. OU may win a four-peat or not. Either way, this is what the team could do this year.

I totally agree with most all of your points. Thanks for spelling it out in such a succinct manner.