Post by WishBone »

Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Great video. Thanks!
::rice2:: :dude:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...the 1986 non-conf game with Miami, when OKLAHOMA was the Defending National Champ, was the best game I think Bosworth ever played while a SOONER!
He was the Terminator, sideline to sideline all over the field, with what I seem to remember was 21 tackles.
Alas, all for naught! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

OU Chinaman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:36 pm ...the 1986 non-conf game with Miami, when OKLAHOMA was the Defending National Champ, was the best game I think Bosworth ever played while a SOONER!
He was the Terminator, sideline to sideline all over the field, with what I seem to remember was 21 tackles.

Good memory, Chinaman...

Bosworth finished with 22 tackles. In my opinion, the best college game played by a LB.....ever.

That 1986 team was the best OU team of the 80's, IMO. I think it was a better team than Miami that year, but you cannot go on the road and play a team like the '86 Caines, lose the TO margin 4-1 and expect to win.

http://soonerstats.com/football/games/b ... gameid=861
https://soonerstats.com/football/games/ ... gameid=861
KJinSkiatook

Post by KJinSkiatook »

StatesEye wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:37 am
OU Chinaman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:36 pm ...the 1986 non-conf game with Miami, when OKLAHOMA was the Defending National Champ, was the best game I think Bosworth ever played while a SOONER!

Good memory, Chinaman...

Bosworth finished with 22 tackles. In my opinion, the best college game played by a LB.....ever.

That 1986 team was the best OU team of the 80's, IMO. I think it was a better team than Miami that year, but you cannot go on the road and play a team like the '86 Caines, lose the TO margin 4-1 and expect to win.

I remember one shot of the Boz on the sidelines near the end of the game when it was clear we were going to lose. He looked totally exhausted. No doubt he did EVERYTHING he could to win that game. He played his heart out in, as stated by Chinaman and StatesEye, probably his best game ever and possibly the best game by a college LB ever.

In my opinion, that Miami team was just a tad better than us on both sides of the ball. We were a great team; they were just a bit better (for 3 stinking years). Their passing ability game them the advantage on offense (and our defense was geared more to stopping the run-heavy Big 8 teams). Their defense had so many NFL players it was unbelievable.
Living the dream…
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

KJinSkiatook wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:34 pm

Good memory, Chinaman...

I remember one shot of the Boz on the sidelines near the end of the game when it was clear we were going to lose. He looked totally exhausted. No doubt he did EVERYTHING he could to win that game. He played his heart out in, as stated by Chinaman and StatesEye, probably his best game ever and possibly the best game by a college LB ever.

In my opinion, that Miami team was just a tad better than us on both sides of the ball. We were a great team; they were just a bit better (for 3 stinking years). Their passing ability game them the advantage on offense (and our defense was geared more to stopping the run-heavy Big 8 teams). Their defense had so many NFL players it was unbelievable.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/ ... e-oklahoma
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

That moment starting about 8:40 when Brian says "I've shamed the program in a lot of ways, and I want to apologize to each and every one of you guys for the things I did," and then you see Keith Jackson's hand reach out and pat him on the shoulder, and several voices chime in to offer support.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Good memory, Chinaman...

Tend to agree with saying the 86 team was the best of the 80s. Like him or hate him, Jimmy Johnson knew how to build a defense that could stop the Wishbone - big, strong DTs who shut down the fullback because our guards couldn't block them, blinding fast DEs who could shut down the backs and QB runs and fast DBs that could cover like crazy. We just couldn't move the ball consistently on them despite being talented on offense. It seemed Switzer also never could bring himself to have our defense adopt a blitz mentality when we played passing offenses but wanted to stick more with things like 3-man rushes. In the Sugar Bowl after the 85 season, Tennessee showed how to beat the Miami offense - they blitzed them silly and sacked the QB repeatedly.

I wonder at times - what if Johnson had not gone to Miami in 1984? What if another coach had gone there and wasn't able to build such a talented defense and offense? OU would have most likely won 3 straight NCs in the 80s. Would have been sweet.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

soonerindallas wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:02 pm Tend to agree with saying the 86 team was the best of the 80s. Like him or hate him, Jimmy Johnson knew how to build a defense that could stop the Wishbone - big, strong DTs who shut down the fullback because our guards couldn't block them, blinding fast DEs who could shut down the backs and QB runs and fast DBs that could cover like crazy. We just couldn't move the ball consistently on them despite being talented on offense. It seemed Switzer also never could bring himself to have our defense adopt a blitz mentality when we played passing offenses but wanted to stick more with things like 3-man rushes. In the Sugar Bowl after the 85 season, Tennessee showed how to beat the Miami offense - they blitzed them silly and sacked the QB repeatedly.

I wonder at times - what if Johnson had not gone to Miami in 1984? What if another coach had gone there and wasn't able to build such a talented defense and offense? OU would have most likely won 3 straight NCs in the 80s. Would have been sweet.
YES! I often think about a world without Jimmy at Miami and the possible 85-'87 threepeat. However, there was something a little "off" for the '87 team....even before Holieway's injury (maybe not having Bosworth around???) They struggled (at least in comparison to '85 and '86) in the later weeks of that season and then, one week before Nebraska, dang near lost (at home!!) to an eventual 5-7 Missouri team. Yet, they stroll into Lincoln and pretty much dominated a very, very good Husker team, which was Nebraska's best team since the 1983 season. The final score was 17-7 but could have easily been 31-7.

IMO, the '87 team was far more vulnerable to an eventual bowl-game loss that year (e.g., FSU, which beat Nebraska that year in the Fiesta Bowl) then either of the '85 or '86 teams. I remember thinking....I just had a feeling.... after OU' lost the title game to Miami that one or two rebuilding years probably lay ahead for '88 and '89. Boy, was I wrong!!!! (LOL). Anyway, OU seems to have FSU's number in the Orange Bowl, so I would've liked the Sooners' chances against FSU in the alternate timeline that is absent Jimmy at Miami. It would have been GLORIUS!!!!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I agree SE, but oddly the 1987 team gave Miami the best game losing only 20-14.

I've disliked Jimmy Johnson since he was the HC at OwussU. Remember when he said before the Poke season,"We're going to knock their eyes out!" Then had a losing season!!! :dude: :cool: