Oklahoma Softball Hosts Tulsa @ HOF Stadium on Tuesday at 6 PM!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Oklahoma Softball Hosts Tulsa @ HOF Stadium on Tuesday at 6 PM!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooner Softball Team will host the Tulsa Hurricanes at HOF Field in OKC in a mid-week game at 6 PM. From what I heard today on the "Plank Show", this will be a lower bowl only game as the upper level of seats will be closed off.

Tulsa is coming off of a 2-1 series win over East Carolina on F, S, S as they outscored the Pirates 14-8. In their midweek game last weekend, Tulsa almost defeated OSU as they lost 2-3 to the Cowgirls. Earlier this year, Tulsa did defeat OSU 3-0. Tulsa also won 2 of 3 games from Wichita State a couple of weekends ago. Tulsa is 27-14 overall and 12-6 in conference. But in their last 23 games, Tulsa has a good record of 16-7.

Oklahoma is coming of a two weekend stretch where they have they are 4-3 and have scored 33 runs in those 7 games. The Sooner pitching has allowed 18 runs in those 7 games. The Sooners are 38-4 overall and leads the Big 12 with a 15-3 record. It has been awhile since the Sooners swept a 3-game series with Kansas and outscored them 30-4 three weekends ago.

Tulsa on offense is similar to BYU. Yeah, that surprised me as well. Here is the stat lines for both teams:
  • Tulsa - .325 BA, .389 OB% and .490 Slug% with 5.54 Runs/Game, 63 steals in 72 attempts and 71 doubles, 19 triples and 25 HRs.
  • BYU - .326 BA, .415 OB% and .501 Slug% with a 6.68 Runs/Game, 45 steals in 52 attempts and 57 doubles, 4 triples and 42 HRs.
While not quite as effective with runs (probably due to less power) the Hurricanes do hit the ball fairly well and they run much better represented by the 19 triples and 63 steals. Tulsa has 5 players with more than 8 steals that includes 2 with 15 steals. I think Oklahoma will have to pitch well on Tuesday to keep the Tulsa hitters off base and running. Their speed also shows up with their 71 doubles, I think.

In the circle, Tulsa is better than many teams with an ERA of 3.07. (There stat sheet says 3.95 but it is calculated on 9 innings not 7 innings as it should be.) The top 3 pitchers for Tulsa have a combined ERA of 2.90. They allow less than a hit an inning also. The three pitchers, Nash (2.25 ERA), Moore (3.04) and Anderson (3.32) are able to pitch pretty well. Moore and Anderson start mostly while Nash usually relieves. I would say that their pitchers are easily better than BYU. But without knowing anything about any of them, who knows for sure except for looking at the stats.

I hope Oklahoma can get some stronger offense going than they had this last week. Against Wichita State and BYU, the offense in three of the games was almost there. In the other game it was not as OU scored 4 runs. In a different phase of offense OU has left 8.5 runners on base in that stretch as well. In those 4 games, the Sooners have averaged 9 hits and 8.25 walks/HB in the 4 games. With 17 baserunners per game I wish the split was more like 13 and 4 rather than 9 and 8. Walks help to start an inning or to keep an inning going, but hits do the work required to score runs, IMO.

The offensive stats have dipped since the Kansas Series. Here are those two sets of stats.
  • After Kansas: 34-1 W/L - .394 BA, .495 OB%, .733 Slug%, 9.2 Runs/Game, 63 doubles, 3 triples, 78 HRs, 41 steals.
  • Today: 38-4 W/L - .379 BA, .483 OB%, .692 OB%. 8.45 Runs/Game, 74 doubles, 3 triples, 85 HRs, 48 steals.
Oklahoma's pitching will be interesting to watch on Tuesday night. I would like to believe that Oklahoma does not believe they need or want to pitch Kelly Maxwell on Tuesday. I want to believe and think that the rest of the pitching staff can handle the Hurricanes. I hope that May and Deal or Deal and May can spilt the game and maybe pitch a total of 5 or 6 innings. If possible to fit it in, I also hope that Monticelli could use an inning of work to regain her form. I still believe strongly in both May and Deal and what they can do to help this staff. I also believe that that Keeney, Monticelli and Geurin can help also.

On defense, the Sooners have held their level of good defense during this stretch of 7 games as they still have a .985 Fielding% despite making 3 errors in 7 games which is a bit higher than normal.

I do not have a worry that the Sooners will win the game against Tulsa if they play (hit, defense and pitch) well on Tuesday. It would be very nice to see the three parts of the game line up with all three playing well on Tuesday.

Good luck to the Sooners on Tuesday night in front of about 5500 fans in OKC.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is a quick update about Career Stats for OU Softball.

Over the weekend, Tiare Jennings added two hits to move past Lisa Carey (1998-2001) with 290 Career Hits into 5th Place all-time for the Sooners. Carey had 289 hits. In 4th Place is Kristin Vesely (2003-2006) with 293 hits.

Jennings also hit her 89th HR of her career which now places her in 9th Place all-time in the NCAA. She is one behind Stacey Nuveman (UCLA 97, 99, 2001-2002) who has 90 HRs in her career.
  • Karli Spaid (Miami OH) has now hit 25 HRs this season and had 92 Career HRs and is tied for 3trd Place all-time with Mia Davidson (Mississippi State - 2018-22), Jessie Harper (Arizona - 2017-21) and Katiyana Mauga (Arizona - 2014-17).
  • Addison Barnard (Wichita State) hit another HR this week and now has 84 Career HRs and is tied for 12th with Shelby Pendley of (Arizona/Oklahoma).
For Career HRs for OU, Alyssa Brito now has 46 HRs at Oklahoma and is tied for 13th with Ashli Barrett (1998-2001). (Brito has 56 total HRs for her career.)

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

The team cannot afford to go to sleep on Tulsa.
Tulsa is better than Wichita State (won 2 out of 3) and as good as or better than BYU. Their hitting is very comparable to BYU and Tulsa has a lot better pitching.
They split a two game series with Okie Lite.
If the team tries too sleep walk through the game today they'll be in trouble.
We should easily win this game. But we should have won a couple of other games this season that we didn't.
I'm thinking we see Maura Moore pitching for Tulsa and I hope we send Deal to the circle against the Golden Hurricanes.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff wrtiers article about the Game in OKC against Tulsa.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/4/15 ... play-tulsa
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

So, is the Tulsa pitcher looking good, or are we still slumping a bit?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Well, I go out to the car, and upon returning, we get a grand slam to go up 7-0, then get another run driven in and win via run-rule 8-0 in 6 innings.

and Deal pitches a no-hitter.

Corngratumalations to her!
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

So, maybe Deal becomes our #2 pitcher???
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Maybe.
But I don't think the weekend rotation changes any...if that's what you mean.
aka Crimson47
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I want to see Monticelli develop a serviceable change-up by the time the tournaments roll around...is that too much to ask?
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

inconnu wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 pm So, maybe Deal becomes our #2 pitcher???
I love that Deal is starting to hit her stride. I think the rotation stays Maxwell-May-Deal but it is critical to have Deal step up about now in prep for post season. Reminds me a bit of a few different years where we had the one steady pitcher, like Paige Parker in '16, or even Jordy/May (with Hope finding her footing) in '22 and the post season the pitcher that won it for us was Paige Lowry in '16 and in '22 it was Hope when Jordy wasn't 100%. Don't get me wrong, all of the pitchers were needed to get us there, but it seems like in the post season we always need someone to really step it up when called upon at crucial times and maybe that will be Deal this year