The Wichita State Mess

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

The Wichita State Mess

Post by TropicalSooner »

I love our Softball team. I am passionate about wanting them to succeed and achieve things no one could dream about before.
But what in the world did we witness last night up in Wichita?

I thought we had found that fire in the belly of the team again in the first two innings. I thought they looked motivated. It looked like the team that wanted that 4th ring was back.
But when we pulled the starters and started subbing in the bench players, with just a few remaining starters staying on the field...what happened? It almost looked like they lost all the drive I thought they had found in the first two innings. Did they think they could just "mail it in" at that point? I have absolutely no idea what possessed Coach Bredbenner to start her worst pitcher against the Sooners last night. Maybe she had lost all respect for the Sooners after our performance last weekend and she thought she could beat us with their # 4. And she left her in there for 2 innings! Finally, she woke up and put their best pitcher in. Thank heavens she didn't start her.

I guess I have not wanted to admit how thin we really are beyond the Magnificent Seven Plus Three. But we saw last night why Coach Gasso doesn't sub in the bench in Texas-Like games. I did think Hodge probably got a passing grade for her efforts. I get why Coach pulled the starters with a 7 run lead and gave the reins to the underclassmen to mop up. This was going to be their time to shine---give them an opportunity to show why they should come off the bench and vie for starting time---or at least more relief time. Earlier relief time. But instead what followed left me really disappointed.

KD was awesome. She is going to be fine. Even Keeney, though she had a couple of rocky moments, pitched her way out of jams and showed why she can be a good middle inning reliever, and even close some games.

And the defense? True to form and had a good game.

But the offense after inning number two? This just doesn't represent what a Championship team looks like when you have to dig beneath the starters.

I truly hope I am wrong. And I'm sorry for my tirade. I'm sure others will post a much more balanced review of the game.

But I did hear that Coach Gasso was not happy after the game.
And as the team was getting ready to head home last night, I'm betting Senior Captains Hansen and Jennings told the team, "Fasten your seat belts girls, it's gonna be a bumpy flight back to Norman."
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

I wanted to see our bench players play well because they will be part of OU's future. I want to see them take the opportunities they have and shine, push the starters for playing time. Patty always said iron sharpens iron and intense competition within the team pushes everyone to be better. Now I don't really see any of our subs that can push any of the starters, and everyone seems accepted their role and playing to it. Ludlam filled in for Hansen admirably when she was hurt, I don't see anyone else doing what Ludlam did at any other position, and that is a concern.

On the bright side, Deal pitched awesome, defense was on point, starters saw the ball well, took their walks and hit the ball hard when it is in the zone. Those are good, but we are kind a 10 player team at the moment and really don't have anyone off the bench for a spark when needed.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

First thing, step away from the ledge. (Imagine hearing that over a staticky megaphone.) Things are not as bad as they seem. We have a net in position below you. Or just step back from the ledge to the first responders behind you.

Okay, I will play the part of the HOMER, which I like to do.

Despite the last 3 games. Oklahoma is still averaging 8.61 Runs per game. In most all of the things that you look at offensively, the Sooners are in the Top 3 in the country.

The Team batting line is still .380 BA, .480 OB% and .697 Slug%. That is 2nd, 2nd and 3rd among the last four Sooner teams. The R/G 3rd. Every one of those numbers is better than the team that most feel is the best of all time in 2023 with a 61-1 record. (Not my thought, but most think that.)

The starters (primary 10 players) are actually hitting pretty well as a team. If you remove Alo from the stats in 2021 and 2022, this years team is as good as any of the four teams on offense AS A TEAM. Is there a gap between the starters and the subs, yes. Could we use a more consistent 9th starter, yes. Is the team broken and no good, NO!

Drawing conclusions or maybe even manufacturing conclusions from the last three games is a poor sample size to use. The last three games have certainly not been great, but they are not indicative of the team's performance for the season.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I'm guessing we are going to hit the portal hard after this year. We may have some great frosh players coming in, but we need experience and after what we lose this year we are going to have very little good players with experience. I'm guessing quite a few leave and make room for some older transfers. We'll see...hoping we keep Deal for sure.
tycat947

Post by tycat947 »

Are all remaining games (including postseason), except UCF series, being played at home and HOF stadium?
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

We still have a road series at UCF. BYU, Houston and OSU at home. Tulsa at OKC.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Just like Coach Gasso to plan ahead.....to a rocky 2025. Ha! Just kidding!!!

OU needs to finish out this year as strong as they can, and worry about the future....in the future, IMO. The way I see it, this year is a monumental moment with Softball History holding its breath to see if the Sooners can do, AGAIN, what has never been done before. Softball History will pass out before an opportunity like this comes again. (Talk about stress!)

I have absolutely no idea about how to balance the present with the future for OUSB. Part of me says, "Just WIN today and let tomorrow's issues be what they may." Another part thinks, "It is smart to invest today (play the bench as much as possible in games where we very likely have the win in the bag - even without a run rule) in order to gain for tomorrow."

I see Patty trying to find that balance. It is not easy.

What can anyone do about a lack of high-quality depth RIGHT NOW anyway? What are the options available? Without a Time Machine, I have no idea....and even going back in Time is not a solution without a Crystal Bahl. You only know what you know at the time that you knew it. (Hey! I should write country songs! Lol!)

Like Tropical, I only want the best for the OU women who have dedicated years and years of their lives (before OU and while at OU) to the program. I am hoping Softball History can exhale with a Sooner victory!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

So, just today, top 10 Duke and Florida have lost midweek games to mid majors.

I’ll be damned if I’m sweating a couple of losses to a very good Texas team that played 2 PERFECT games and then we “only” beat our midweek 7-0.