It's Time: Oklahoma vs Texas: Red River Rivalry in Austin in '24

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think that the Horns got some home cookin' on that throw to the plate. Looked like OBSTRUCTION to me!!!
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

I'm far from an expert in softball but Texas' outfield outplayed ours tonight.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

The obstruction non-call aside, it was a GREAT relay throw, give the Horns credit.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

BudaSooner wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:10 pm I think that the Horns got some home cookin' on that throw to the plate. Looked like OBSTRUCTION to me!!!
According to the announcers, it's not obstruction of the throw to the plate leads the catcher to obstruct the plate.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

MsProudSooner wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:11 pm I'm far from an expert in softball but Texas' outfield outplayed ours tonight.
That is a rarity for sure. We seemed to hit balls they made plays on and just a few of theirs got away from us. It was good test and I hope we learned something from it. I really would like to see us settle in on a lineup and stop playing musical chairs. Let's get 'em tomorrow.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Guiterez pithed the game that osu lost as well - and that score was 2-1. Interesting. Guiterez may be texas' best pitcher. We will probably see Czech tomorrow - so hoping our bats are cracking!
jmac11

Post by jmac11 »

Does patty make the call on pitching or does Rocha? The pitching changes have been weird all year. When they should pull someone, they leave them in. When they should leave someone in, they pull them. There seems to be no feel for the pitching this year. Hopefully someone doesn't come after deal next season. We need her.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

jmac11 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:37 pm Does patty make the call on pitching or does Rocha? The pitching changes have been weird all year. When they should pull someone, they leave them in. When they should leave someone in, they pull them. There seems to be no feel for the pitching this year. Hopefully someone doesn't come after deal next season. We need her.
I think they were looking at matchups - but maybe trying a bit too hard. At the end of the day it worked as no more runs were scored. I do think Deal is probably our best closer but I really wish she would solidify it a bit more. Kenney did pretty darn good - so maybe she should be the next right after Deal. The Monticelli experiment has to be close to over, as I think her last 2 outings have been pretty bad.

Hoping Kelly gets the start tomorrow and our bats come alive and we run rule them to take the series. texas is a good team and if their outfielding was like it normally is we would have won. They made great plays and no errors and we still came up one foot short of tying taking them to the extra innings.

I want to see us land on a batting line-up and stick with it. Maybe all the mixing and matching can start settling down.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

On the play, I guess Maya should have tried to run more wide of the catcher or jump over her, something like that maybe? That would have gone down in instant red river rivalry lore. Oh well at least we showed fight, just a little too little a little too late. Big kudos to Hansen and Boone - they are clutch. We needed a little more from Torres this game I think.

BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

JSULL60 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:33 pm :ou: I said that in jest. I just get frustrated when May starts to get hit and Patty doesn't pull her until we're behind or got 2 or 3 runners on base
Nicole May was rolling along until the middle of the 4th inning with a shutout.

All of a sudden, with two out, the Texas batters decided, "hey, let's jump on her first pitch, whattaya say? Note the PBP below:

Scott singled up the middle (0-1 K). (Second pitch!)
Atwood struck out swinging (1-2 KSBS). (Nicole got ahead in the count 0-2)
A.Washington struck out swinging (1-2 KBSFS). (again, Nicole got ahead 1-2)
V.Martinez doubled to left center, RBI (0-0); Scott scored. (BAM! First pitch!)
Stewart doubled to left center, RBI (0-0); V.Martinez scored. (BAM! First pitch!)

Hopefully, OUr coaches will study this film with Nicole IRT this inning. Looked like she might've gotten a bit careless and threw some fat pitches to the Horn batters!

This outing tonight exemplifies why I have never regarded May as an "ACE" for OU. She is too prone to mental lapses. She will look like a million dollars for long stretches, but then, BOOM! The bottom falls out and she'll give up a bunch of runs. Her sparkling ERA, notwithstanding, she'll never be an ACE in my book.

Good pitcher? You bet, she is a pitcher that anyone would covet for their team.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

JSULL60 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:57 pm :ou: I can't stand to watch Texas celebrate and to listen to ladies from ESPN do cheers for Texas. I had to turn it off
THE WORLD(except for actual OU fans) wants OU to lose as much as possible! None of the ESPeNis announcers are OU people, so it should be expected. Actual equal treatment of combatants by Media is nearly impossible to find nowadays.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

JSULL60 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:57 pm :ou: I think Patty out coached herself when she didn't pull May earlier. Once they got that 3 or 4th hit off May and got the lead, they had all the momentum. I can't stand to watch Texas celebrate and to listen to ladies from ESPN do cheers for Texas. I had to turn it off
He who laughs last laughs loudest. Let's see who is laughing last when all is said and done in June. Also, we have a great chance to last laugh in this series tomorrow. Hope we bring it tomorrow.

This is also why I never listen to the tv broadcast but instead always listen to the radio broadcast with Plank. It may not be perfect but it beats the haters broadcast every time.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Step back from the ledge people. Your expectations are getting in the way of enjoying the game. We have a night where the hitting doesn't show out well and I see people complaining about the pitching. We gave up two runs. Where was all of this consternation when Maxwell gave up two runs on Friday? Oh that's right, we scored 5, so nobody complained about it.

If we give up 2 runs and don't win the game, I'm not blaming the pitching.
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

We got outplayed - not real complex. Hope the bats can awaken today.