OU QB Commit Kevin Sperry Transfers

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

OU QB Commit Kevin Sperry Transfers

Post by WishBone »

Oklahoma quarterback commit Kevin Sperry has transferred to Denton Guyer (TX) after spending one season at Carl Albert (OK) in Midwest City.

Oklahoma fans are likely already familiar with Guyer, as starting quarterback Jackson Arnold, standout defensive back Peyton Bowen and freshman cornerback Eli Bowen all played for the Wildcats in high school.
Rated the No. 135 overall player and No. 13 quarterback prospect in the nation, Sperry originally attended Rock Hill (TX) in the Dallas area before moving to Carl Albert for his junior season.
During Sperry's sophomore year, the Blue Hawks went just 3-7 despite the coveted signal caller having an impressive season.
After committing to OU last March, Sperry made the move to the Oklahoma City area over the Summer, joining the defending state champion Titans. After the 4-star prospect arrived at Carl Albert, Xavier Robinson, Marcus James and Trynae Washington all ended up committing to the Sooners.
Each of the three aforementioned players already held an offer from Brent Venables and company prior to Sperry's move.
In his lone season at Carl Albert, Sperry helped lead the Titans to their sixth state title in the last seven seasons with an impressive showing in the 5A state championship game against Del City (OK).
At Guyer, Sperry will join his former teammate at Rock Hill, Julius Baker. Baker is a 6-foot-1 wide receiver with impressive speed who played his junior year with the Wildcats.
Recently, Baker placed second in the 60-meter hurdles at the Nike Indoor Nationals track meet in New York City.
Also at Guyer is 2027 OU offer Zane Rowe.
Rowe is an impressive athlete who is listed at 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds as a freshman in high school. The standout tight end and edge rusher was at the Sooners' "Future Freaks" event in early March and attended the Brent Venables Elite Camp last summer.
Rowe already holds offers from Georgia, Texas, Oregon and many others.
With Sperry heading to a solid program in the DFW area, he will likely have the chance to win a second consecutive state title and help the Sooners recruit some of the top players in the Metroplex.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well I wish him the best. I have no idea why he would do that but he should know what is best for his future.

🪰 Fly :BV: :ou:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

So are these players chasing better coaching ??

Or is it NIL in HS …..?that they chase????
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

he is only transferring to a different high school. He is still an Oklahoma commit. I believe he’s going for better coaching. The high school he transferred to is the high school that Jackson Arnold, Peyton Bowen, and Eli Bowen attended.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

The Locked on Sooners crowd say he is transferring solely to be close to family and that he still plans to pre-enrol at OU come Jan 2025.
RussC

Post by RussC »

I heard someone (B. Drumm?) say that Sperry’s mother never made the move to Oklahoma due to her work.

If true, this seems to be an important factor
#Mentally In Portal
Bricklayer

Post by Bricklayer »

RussC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:30 pm I heard someone (B. Drumm?) say that Sperry’s mother never made the move to Oklahoma due to her work.

If true, this seems to be an important factor
I’m not gonna try to predict whether he stays committed to OU or not, but yes, believe mom was still in Dallas area doing home remodels.

Guyer is also gonna throw the ball more than Carl Albert did. I hope he stays committed, seems like he comes from a good family.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bricklayer wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 pm mom was still in Dallas area doing home remodels.
She’s probably better with a crowbar than most moms
#Mentally In Portal
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

I thought there are state rules in place where HSers could not transfer into a school district only because of sports. Sperry has transferred twice from Prosper TX to Carl Albert in OK, and now back to Texas, Denton Guyer. I wonder how he can do this within the rules? I live close to a Texas HS power, Southlake Carroll HS, and talented footballers seem to drop into that district like manna from Heaven. Dad suddenly gets a job in security with the Southlake school system or something like that and Jr. happens to be a talented RB. One kid from one of my HSs, Colleyville Heritage, tried to transfer to Southlake Carroll but was denied, and he is appealing it, as if he was wronged.

Also, how old are some of these HS football seniors? The rules in many states apparently allow 19 year olds to play as seniors. That means they have been held back 2 years during their schooling, and presumably only for sports. Conceivably they could be walking across the stage at graduation as a 20 year old which is ridiculous. They end up like Stetson Bennett, a 25 year old senior qb at Georgia and 26 when he entered the NFL. And he does not have the minor league baseball excuse like Weinke or Weeden.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Transfer out of state is a whole different thing. Instate the rules state you can not play for a school if you do not live in that district.
So the only way you change schools is move into it,s district.

🪰Fly :BV: