Maxwell, Jennings & Torres: Sooners win 8-1 over Baylor - 8,798

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Maxwell, Jennings & Torres: Sooners win 8-1 over Baylor - 8,798

Post by OUBeliever56A »

In front of 8,798 fans in the Hall of Fame Stadium in OKC, the Sooners won over the Baylor Bears 8-1 with a big 5th inning when the Sooners scored 7 runs. The Sooners that helped nail down the victory were Kelly Maxwell (Winning pitcher), Tiare Jennings (2B #59 - 3-run HR) and Alynah Torres (Grand Slam HR).

Kelly Maxwell was, well, K-MAX last night. She limited the Bears to 3 hits, 1 walk and 1 run and picked up 4 Ks in 5.1 innings. I am sure she was happy to see those 7 runs scored in the bottom of the 5th from Oklahoma. I thought Maxwell threw well last night. The lone run scored against her was aided by her own wild pitch that bounced in front of the plate that Ludlam tried to block but it got passed her. My quick review shows that Maxwell only went to 3 balls to 3 hitters last night. Strikes are a pitchers friend. When Baylor scored in the 4th inning, unusual things happened. A 4-pitch walk, a stolen base on a confusing strike call that might have been ball 4, a wild pitch to move the runner to 3rd and then a single. It is a very good thing for Maxwell to NOW have a good memory of pitching in OKC to remember instead of the previous memories.

Paytn Monticelli relieved Maxwell in the top of the 6th with 5 outs to go in the game. In her first time in the circle in OKC (Every pitcher's dream, right?) She allowed one hit and allowed no runs. Monticelli throws strikes as well. But Baylor did hit a couple screamers for line drive right at Jennings (for a DP) and Torres for outs. I like "Monti", but something off-speed would really help.

On offense, the Sooners got a run in the second with the help of Baylor error. With two outs, and Sanders (single) on 1B, Boone hit a slow roller past the pitcher to 2B, Boone clearly beat the ball to first, but the throw by Baylor skipped off the glove of the first base player and bounded out to short RF in foul territory. Sanders got on her horse and easily scored with Boone sliding into third base on the play.

In the bottom of the third, Tiare Jennings lined a ball off the LF fence barely in fair territory for a lead-off double. The 59th double of her career to move into first place in career doubles by a Sooner as she moved past Sydney Romero who had 58. T--R--A!.

In the bottom of the 5th, the Sooners put the game away. Coleman walked on a 3-2 count to lead off the inning. Once again, Jennings hit a 2-run HR to RC in OKC to quickly make the score 3-1. It was Tiare's 84th HR of her career. After a pop out by Brito, Ella Parker singled up the middle and Kasidi Pickering singled down the line into LF to move Parker to 2B. Coach Glenn Moore went to the circle for Baylor and lifted RyLee Crandall and brought in Aliyah Binford (her change up is deadly at times). Sanders walked in a 9-pitch at bat showing that change. that loaded the bases. Ludlam looked at four straight balls to pick up an RBI as Parker 'walked' home from 3rd. (Side note: that was the 8th straight ball thrown to Ludlam by Baylor as she held the bat with 6 fingers and 2 thumbs. Sometimes you shake you head at what occurs.) Coach Gasso then pinch hit for Avery Hodge with Alynah Torres. Torres took a mighty swing at a change up on the third pitch from Binford and got nothing but air. After talking to her self, and a ball on the next pitch, Torres found the change-up and got every bit of it for a Grand Slam to LF for a 8-1 lead for the Sooners. That is 3 HRs in her last 4 at bats for Torres. With only one out, Coach Moore went to the circle again and brought in Kaci West to pitch. Boone doubled to LC complete with a nice 'sit-up' slide complete with air-guitar chords to complete the at-bat. Boone does things with a bit of flair. Coleman walked on four pitches and Jennings followed with a walk on five pitches. With 1-out and the bases loaded and Oklahoma needing 1-run to send everyone home with a run-rule win, Baylor got out of the bases loaded jam. Coach Moore brought the outfield and infield in to cut off the shallow liner or to make a play at the plate on a single. Brito hit a shallow liner right at the RF for out #2. Parker then grounded out for out #3.

If you are Sooner fan that is worried about runners LOB and situations like this, don't be. Oklahoma is hitting .400 with runners in scoring position and .387 with two outs with those runners.

That was pretty much the game. Another situation that happened was in the 4th. With two outs and Hodge on 1st base. Boone bunted perfectly in front of the plate. As the Baylor catcher decided to hold the ball as Boone was safe by a mile, Baylor left 3B uncovered. Hodge never broke stride and went full out for third base. Alertly, the Baylor LF, Emily Hott, ran at full speed to cover 3B just in time and caught a strike from the catcher, Collazos, and made a nice tag on Hodge's arm before Hodge touched the bag. Head's up play by Baylor after they messed up. I think Hodge was right to force the issue. Make Baylor make the unconventional play for the 3rd out. (I know, you never make the 3rd out at 3B and the score was 1-1 at the time. But Baylor had about a 5% chance to make that play. Maybe 10%.

Oklahoma was 11 for 27 for a .407 BA night with 7 walks and 2 Ks. OU had two doubles, and 2 HRs. Coleman was caught trying to steal second. Collazos can throw when she is not throwing "darts' back to the pitcher.

The two remaining games are now going to be played on Saturday. The Sunday game has been moved to a 5:30 game on Saturday. Fans will have to exit the stadium (Love's Field) and then re-enter the stadium between games. With the Big 12 Gymnastics meet at LNC and the Sooner baseball team playing at 3 PM, LNC's parking is going to be full. I hope all three events do not end at the same time cause the parking lot jam will be epic perhaps.

With a DH today, Nicole May will be one starter. I hope it is Kierston Deal as the other starter.

One other note, Hansen did participate in drills last night, at least some. She has a 'simpler' brace on but she looks like she could play perhaps on Saturday.

Sooners are 29-1, Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

That play at 3rd that Bailer made on Hodge was incredible - you’re right - maybe 5-10% chance of success and about 60% chance that it became a 2-run error - if that ball gets past the left fielder, both Hodge and Boone are scoring.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

When I saw that Hodge was starting at 2B last night, I just felt so sure that at some point in the game we would see Torres as catcher---whether Ludlam couldn't go past the first couple of innings, or if we got way ahead in the first or second inning then to come in and dust off some rust in case she would be needed for an extended period of time there.
Obviously that didn't happen. And when we rolled around to the 5 inning up only 3-1, and got the bases loaded with Hodge coming to bat---I totally see why Gasso burned that bridge (Torres Catching) and sent her to the plate for Hodge. The Grand Salami was beautiful, and dang near finished the game right there.
My question then was, since Torres subbed in for Hodge and took 2B, was she then out of the picture to be able to catch at all after that, in case Ludlam had to stop?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 am When I saw that Hodge was starting at 2B last night, I just felt so sure that at some point in the game we would see Torres as catcher---whether Ludlam couldn't go past the first couple of innings, or if we got way ahead in the first or second inning then to come in and dust off some rust in case she would be needed for an extended period of time there.
Obviously that didn't happen. And when we rolled around to the 5 inning up only 3-1, and got the bases loaded with Hodge coming to bat---I totally see why Gasso burned that bridge (Torres Catching) and sent her to the plate for Hodge. The Grand Salami was beautiful, and dang near finished the game right there.
My question then was, since Torres subbed in for Hodge and took 2B, was she then out of the picture to be able to catch at all after that, in case Ludlam had to stop?
The quick answer is "no".

But with the Lilio pinch hit for Sanders in the 6th, and then bringing back Sanders to play 1B, it burned the only player left who has played 2B. With Lilio burned there was no one to play 2B if Torres had to move to catcher. Hodge cannot be brought back or Torres is out. Bland had already been used and was burned. The only person I can think of to play 2B in that case would May as she has played 3B in summer ball.

My best thought is that Hansen can play if needed. If that is true, Torres stays at 2B and Hansen replaces Ludlam. :confusedplus:
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:04 am
TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 am When I saw that Hodge was starting at 2B last night, I just felt so sure that at some point in the game we would see Torres as catcher---whether Ludlam couldn't go past the first couple of innings, or if we got way ahead in the first or second inning then to come in and dust off some rust in case she would be needed for an extended period of time there.
The quick answer is "no".

But with the Lilio pinch hit for Sanders in the 6th, and then bringing back Sanders to play 1B, it burned the only player left who has played 2B. With Lilio burned there was no one to play 2B if Torres had to move to catcher. Hodge cannot be brought back or Torres is out. Bland had already been used and was burned. The only person I can think of to play 2B in that case would May as she has played 3B in summer ball.

My best thought is that Hansen can play if needed. If that is true, Torres stays at 2B and Hansen replaces Ludlam. :confusedplus:
The only other thought I had along those lines, was that Coor came to OU as a SS (and OF) as a freshman. (I think everybody comes to OU as a SS when they're a freshman.) But she was sent to LF to replace Pick. Could she have moved to 2B after that since she's had lots of MIF experience back in HS and early Travel ball? Or does her subbing to LF limit what she does after that?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

If Coor moves to 2B, (I still doubt this thing of Coor being a MIF) there are no outfielder left with Bland and Lilio used. May would would likely have to play the OF.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Gotcha.

I'm thinking that Gasso must have had a heart to heart with Ludlam before all the substitutions and pinch hitting took place and got a "Heck yeah, I'm good" from Ludlam.
I noticed in her last at bat she did hit a fly ball out to RF for our last out. So at least she can still swing the bat.....and hit something.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:23 am If Coor moves to 2B, (I still doubt this thing of Coor being a MIF) there are no outfielder left with Bland and Lilio used. May would would likely have to play the OF.
You very well could be right about Coor. Obviously I never saw her play there.....all I know is from things I read.
Her Bio listed her as the Number 5 SS by EIS coming out of HS.....all I had to go on.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

This is from EIS - CLASS OF 2021 POSITION RANKINGS (NOVEMBER 2020)

OUTFIELDERS
# First Last Club University
1 Dallis Goodnight Georgia Impact - Lewis Alabama
1 Mya Holmes Impact Gold - Jackson Texas
1 Katie Taylor East Cobb Bullets - Schnute Tennessee
2 Ashton Maloney Aces Fastpitch Texas
3 Kendra Falby Tennessee Mojo 2021 Florida
4 McKenzie Redoutey Georgia Impact - Lewis LSU
5 Hannah Coor OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma
6 Maddie Hayden Louisiana Bombers Louisiana-Lafayette

2021 EXTRA ELITE 100 PLAYER RANKINGS: #'S 1-100 (NOV. 1, 2020)

40 14 Kaydeun Wooley SS Impact Gold - Jackson Texas A&M
41 14 Jessie Blaine C Iowa Premier Gold Auburn
42 14 Hannah Coor OF/MIF OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma
43 14 Raelin Chaffin P Texas Bombers - Smith LSU
44 15 Kylie Macy P East Cobb Bullets - Schnute Georgia
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Well done ladies - love how they hung in there until they finally broke things loose. Disappointing they didn’t close out the run rule with bases loaded and 1 out.

I noticed Ludlam had a more traditional bat grip, but with the 2 fingers still heavily taped, she just isn’t going to generate power.

Now - I’d like to ask for a quick 90 minute run rule in game 1 today, so that we can focus on our basketballers. Then a 2 hour basketball game, and ready for first pitch in game 2. And a DVR for the Gymnastics big 12 meet.

I can’t imagine the mess around the LNC tonight - 9k+ for gymnastics, 4k+ for softball double header and another bunch (1-2k?) for a baseball double header.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:00 pm

I noticed Ludlam had a more traditional bat grip, but with the 2 fingers still heavily taped, she just isn’t going to generate power.
Like I said - Lud has plenty of power even with 2 heavily taped fingers… :D