D1 Softball announces "DSR" method to determine a Teams Value

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

D1 Softball announces "DSR" method to determine a Teams Value

Post by OUBeliever56A »

For a very long time, I have thought that RPI as a standard to determine a teams value was woefully inadequate for many reasons. Today, I opened my D1 Softball subscription and I found something announced by 6-4-3 Sports and D1 Softball called "DSR" being announced. "DSR" stands for Diamond Sports Ranking. I have read through it once, and looked a bit at the rankings and it has many of the elements of what I think RPI ignores. Maybe all of them.

I logged out of my sub, to see if the article would be shared without a sub. It was. So I am posting it below. Give it a read and see what you think. It is very stat based and is based somewhat on a Bill James simple theory called the "Pythagorean winning percentage" which I stumbled onto many years ago while playing APBA baseball religiously in leagues. Simply put, the theory is the ratio of runs scored for a team versus the runs allowed. Team A scores 100 runs and allows 50. They should win 66.7% of their games. (100/150). Team B scores 253 runs and allows 36. They should win 87.5% of their games. Team B is OU. They have won 96.4% of their games. So they are therefore overachieving. The Sooners are doing many little things to raise their wins over a team that does not do those things. It is a little bit more complex than that, but that is it in a snap-shot.

Yes, I like this stuff. It is right up my alley, so to say. I will pay a great deal of attention to this and follow it. Here is the article.

https://d1softball.com/d1softball-and-6 ... nking-dsr/

Below the article is this explanation of the "DSR". Here that is.

https://643charts.com/dsr_explained/

Enjoy!......
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks for posting this.
It looks like a step in the right direction.
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Does this mean the selection committee will be using this to help seeding the post season?
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

TropicalSooner wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:07 am Does this mean the selection committee will be using this to help seeding the post season?
No. This is completely new and they need to build up a history of doing a good job of ranking teams first before getting sold to the committee and coaches.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

I'm wondering how far into the season we need to be to have faith in these numbers. This week, OU is in 2nd place. Last week we were in 4th. The week before that, we were in 8th. Our only loss is to #32 Lousiana. #1 LSU has two losses to #22 Ole Miss. It's not like we haven't been run ruling a bunch of teams.

It also seems like it would discourage good teams from scheduling potentially better opponents. In other words, I don't see why a top 20 team would schedule Oklahoma. Currently, teams rig their schedule to game the RPI system. I can see that happening with this system as well. Does this mean that top 20 (or 10) matchups will only happen in conference play?

Why cap the margin of victory at 10? Why not 8? Why not 12? Is it better to run rule a team by 8 in 5 innings? Or win by 9 in 6 or 7 innings? We beat Tech by 10 runs on Sunday in 7 innings. Did that earn more points than if we'd beat them by 8 in 5 innings?

Don't think that these questions mean that I'm not intrigued by this system. I am. But that doesn't mean that I don't have questions.