Three teams to Watch in today's D1 Softball Action

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Three teams to Watch in today's D1 Softball Action

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Besides attending the Sooners DH against Tarleton State today, I will be watching three other teams today.

At Noon EST (really 11 AM CST), Texas plays LSU in Baton Rouge. It will be interesting to see who pitches for Texas in this game. I think many people would like to see the game be a pitching matchup of Berzon for LSU against Kavan for Texas. I think Berzon is a given for LSU, but I am not sure about Texas choosing Kavan. Both teams have alternate choices they can make.

Florida State also hosts South Dakota State for a DH. I want to see if Florida State can find 10-14 good innings from their pitching staff and be able to win two games against a potentially troubling South Dakota State team. Even at 13-14 SD State has played pretty well against everyone but OSU this season and they own some good wins. FSU can certainly hit, but the pitching has been challenging to find a solid arm consistently in the circle.

The Baylor DH against Lamar might be interesting also. I want to see if Baylor can score some runs against Lamar or do the Bears have to win low scoring runs even against Lamar.

Oh yeah, I am also interested to see if Oklahoma can keep up their upswing in offensive production today. I hope, once the fuse has been lit, the explosions should continue throughout the lineup. I also hope to see strong pitching for the Sooners.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I am very interested in the UT vs LSU game. I wish this was a DH or three-game series for a better take on who has what.

If Texas wins, then OU may be back at the #1 spot? (Arg! Putting 'Texas' and 'win' in the same sentence sets my teeth on edge a bit.)

I know rankings don't matter much right now - getting better does. If OUSB being #2 adds motivation for the team to keep improving, then I am all about it.

As you have noted before, it will be interesting to see how some of the "superstar" pitchers (Rothrock, Kavan, Berzon, Canady, et. al) hold up as their innings pile up. Will OU's platoon pitching concept come through in the end? OU has a deep staff that can put a fresh ace on the mound for three consecutive games, with very good relief if needed it seems to me. This is a real advantage come WCWS time.

Baylor is next up after Tarleton State, so, they grab my interest in the #2 spot.

As long as OU wins, I usually pull for our conference opponents to have a great record and ranking. Admittedly, Texas is always hard for me to root for under almost any circumstance. Lol.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:08 am At Noon, Texas plays LSU in Baton Rouge.
Just to clarify for anyone planning to tune in - my schedule shows this game starting at 11:00 central, not noon.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

You are right, the game was shown to start at Noon EST and I forgot to make the hour transition.
tycat947

Post by tycat947 »

Horns already down 6-0 and Kavan didn’t last a full inning.
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

OU back to Number 1 in both polls. (LSU second, Texas third)
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Thanks, VN!

Then, Texas can lose without any ambivalence on my part.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

LSU won 7-4.

The bottom of the 1st by Texas and Kavan could not be made up for by the Texas bats against Berzon for LSU in the circle.

Good win my LSU. They are still undefeated.

Texas has one more loss.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Sounds like Kavan had freshman nerves---crowd got to her.

I'm glad Patty booked LSU's hostile environment for us last year. Wish we would have gone back there again this year. That'll toughen anybody up.
aka Crimson47
Barrow

Post by Barrow »

OU Believer your attendance was noted by Chris Plank recently. Keep up the good work and tremendous posts , it keeps us out of staters informed . Thanks!