OU Softball (18-1) Hosts A&M Commerce (5-16) on Wed Night @ 6 PM

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
EMan

Post by EMan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OK, the out-of-conference schedule (ie, the experimentation season) is over. I'd expect to see a much more stable line-up going forward. There will still be games where PG juggles the batting order and players (just to give players some rest and keep others involved) but I'll be surprised if we don't see a more regular type of line-up from this point forward, meaning putting Jayda back at the top of the order, etc. As many have noted, though we may forget from one year to the next, trying out various line-ups and putting players in stressful situations has been PG's MO for a long time. And obviously, it hasn't failed her. So while the team may not seem to be clicking on all cylinders yet, having the team peak at the right time is the critical objective. And in that capacity, PG has definitely proven why she's the GOAT!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:33 pm
We scored 5 runs After recording 2 outs in the first inning....which is, again, amazing how many two-out runs the Sooners have scored! I really don't expect, as a poster on another board suggested, that if OU does not win by a score of 20 to 0, that there is something wrong, but I caught myself thinking that OU will likely get blanked in the first inning, by an inferior team, after those first two outs in our half of the first inning. It felt like a trend to me - OU doesn't score in the first inning, no matter the competition. Why?

Obviously, that thought/feeling was not true against TX Commerce tonight. I'm not sure that feeling is even true statistically or not. Just talking about my feelings and expectations (both of which are irrational - but not necessarily at odds with each other.)
Here are the stats:

Total Runs = 164
Runs in 1st inning - 23 runs for 14.0% of the total runs - Scored in 9 of the 20, 1st innings for 45%
Runs in 2nd inning - 34 runs for 20/7% of the total runs - Scored in 13 of the 20, 2nd innings for 65%
Runs in 3rd inning - 26 runs for 15.9% of the total runs - Scored in 7 of the 20, 3rd innings for 35%
Runs in 4th inning - 38 runs for 23.2% of the total runs - Scored in 12 of the 20, 4th innings for 60%

Runs in 5th inning - 17 runs for 10.4% of the total runs - Scored in 8 of the 14, 5th innings for 57.1%
Runs in 6th inning - 19 runs for 11.6% of the total runs - Scored in 7 of the 10, 6th innings for 70%
Runs in 7th inning - 5 runs for 3.0% of the total runs - Scored in 3 of the 6, 7th innings for 50%
Runs in 8th inning - 2 runs for 1.2% of the total runs - Scored in 2 of the 2, 8th innings for 100%

In the first 4 innings, OU has scored 121 runs and scored in 41 of the 80 innings, for 1.51 runs/inning. Oklahoma is averaging 6 runs in the first 4 innings of a game.

In my mind, that is pretty good overall. With all the jumbling of the top of the lineup in the first 20 games, maybe the run production is okay.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

I found it interesting that Coach Gasso played Hodge at 2nd & kept Jennings @ SS. If you're going to play Hodge, why wouldn't you play her at her more natural position of SS & move Jennings back to her more natural position of 2B?
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Because OU doesn’t get to practice on Love’s field until it is completely done, I treat these mid-week games as 2 hour “practices” on the field to get familiar with the field.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

Brisket wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:29 am I found it interesting that Coach Gasso played Hodge at 2nd & kept Jennings @ SS. If you're going to play Hodge, why wouldn't you play her at her more natural position of SS & move Jennings back to her more natural position of 2B?
Agreed, was I mistaken or didn't Hodge play some SS in the final innings with Monticelli pitching? I just think Hodge has a little quicker movement on the ball at SS than Jennings - but I'm not going to pick a fight over Jennings staying at short. Just seems like Hodge is a natural star there and Jenning's skill set is much better utilized at 2nd.

Whatever Patty decides is fine with me.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:54 pm

Whatever Patty decides is fine with me.
WHEW!...right? haha
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Thanks for the post game recap Believer. Always well written and thought out.
In an earlier post I wrote that if the team (or bench) didn't score 20 runs against Texas Commerce I would be concerned that something was terribly wrong. I was wrong to make a statement like that. Sometimes I get caught up in comparing our current team having many of the same players to prior teams that had incredible success against similar kinds of opponents. I suppose it's hard for me not to do that in view of the fact that next year we will have a near complete turnover of the roster.
Usually, I take more time with my posts and after letting it set for a day or two, I can filter out most of my irrational exuberance. I did not do that this time.
Our current team is strong in many ways and I do expect them to fiercely compete for another WCWS championship.

I am passionate about our team and want nothing but the best for them. And I know they work very hard for every hit and every out.

The Iowa State Cyclones come to town this weekend and they always seem to find a way to make each game a battle. No doubt we will be up to the task. But without time to give fair research to provide a more reasonable preview, I will leave that to others.

I am glad for the win we got yesterday and I hope we add to them this weekend.

Boomer!
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

Believer and Tropical -

Thank you both for your words about what you think and why you think it. They are gold.

Believer, I rely on your stats and sharp analysis to shine an honest light on my assumptions, feelings, hopes, etc. It took much work to generate those stats for all to benefit - and my own benefit in particular. I thank you! The truth comforts me.

Tropical, I know you share my feelings as a true fan for the team's success; and perhaps also share a few of my 'faults'. I honestly felt the same way as you at the time. Perhaps we are guilty of the crime of loving OUSB? Then, I stand condemned with you. You also have keen analysis and pertinent information that I value.

Interviews I have seen of the Coach and players show me the team is un-phased, united, and ready to grind. There is much heart, and perspective in OU's dugout. Let's go!

I am learning so much about myself from this game and being a fan.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:54 pm Whatever Patty decides is fine with me.
Oh for sure! Coach Gasso has forgotten more about softball and managing/developing a team than I could ever learn. Would love to hear her thoughts & rationale for that decision, though.