Post by WishBone »

Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

"He’s an elite athlete who’s underdeveloped as a QB."

That says it all, doesn't it?
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Wow - this is the harshest and most comprehensive evaluation I've seen. His dad is a piece of work. Even with all this, I know some team will grab him in the first round and then have to deal with his ego and his helicopter dad. Heaven help them.

When he won the Heisman, his mom said the thing she notices most about him is his humility............really?

Will be interesting to watch as this plays out.
SoonerTony

Post by SoonerTony »

I guess it depends on your definition of a “bust”. It was reported last week that he was paid $10 million in NIL during his time at USC. If that’s even close to being true, he should be financially set for the rest of his life.

Of course, athletes have been known to squander fortunes in the past…
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Yes what is the definition of a bust…. Financially he has it made already and will get lots of money in the nfl….

I think it has to do with expectations, are they fulfilled?

I dont think CW wins at a high level, he is the gifted athlete that never had to learn and push himself to think through problems and work out solutions…..this continues….the expectations are very high…..i really think he becomes aDaniel Jones type making great money but not winning at a high level,,, but you know who can really predict a change in a person you just have to go on the observed past

The one big win CW had in college was the comeback against Texasss, the way the game went it was obvious Texass had the offensive signals of Oklahoma ( stupid Stinking and his grade school signals) and just clobbered Rattler every play…. Putting CW in to scramble and play sandlot football negated that…hence the comeback…

The sandlot football wont work in the nfl….. :eyes:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...kid reminds me a lot of Johnny Manziel.
Scrambles around in the backfield looking for an open receiver, and sometimes taking off to run it himself. (Johnny football was a better runner in my mind.)
Manziel WAS a huge bust. A lot of histrouble was his attitude.

No doubt Caleb's a great athlete, but he seems to have a narcissist attitude.
Judging from his last season with Mulesh*ts prophylactics, didn't seem to deal with adversity very well.

I think that NFL scout may be onto something. :cool:

We'll know soon.

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:55 pm ...kid reminds me a lot of Johnny Manziel.
That's who I thought of too.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Now that you mention Mazeil I see that in CW……

His comeback win against texassss was very Manzeil just scramble down the field …

I can’t think of a big win he had while at Trojans

I did see him scramble a lot
Fly

Post by Fly »

Like I said in the past, Marcus Dupree all over again. Caleb father is no different than Marcus so called friend of the family. We
shall see, but good or bad there will be a book written in the future. Caleb was very spotty on his passing efficiency as was written.
If that does not change I can,t see him doing well in the NFL.The problem I see with this is where he gets picked is they get his father
also. We shall see!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Aries

Post by Aries »

I'm always reluctant to call a player a bust until their career is over, or at least within the context of a certain team (i.e. if a first round pick for the Cowboys is cut his second year, he is a bust for the Cowboys regardless of what happens from then on)

I've seen too many players struggle at first then go on to have very good careers.

On a different note, it's interesting to read comments about Caleb Williams now, especially with regard to his character, compared to when he was committed to or playing for the Sooners. </shrug>
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...it is interesting Aries, but not surprising.
If an athlete signs with OU, the chinamen will overlook a lot. He/she is considered "ONE OF US".
They are given the benefit of the doubt.
If they subsequently enter the transfer portal, the chinamen feel rejected and the athlete CAN become a pariah. Doesn't want to be here, don't want them here!
When Caleb joined the SOONER program, I was a fan,...after he left OKLAHOMA, not so much.
I don't wish him any misfortune, but admit to being skeptical of his character now judging by his behavior @ USUCK, and think the NFL scout made some good points referencing his ability transitioning to the Sunday game.
(Which I no longer watch anyway.) :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

The obvious thing with CW is that the Hype Train ran full bore throughout his college career. The west coast media jumped on the hype train even to the point of making excuses when he lost. For example when he lost to Utah he limped part way through a longer run, but at OU the players said CW always limps like that on a longer run when he gets tired he did it often, but the west coast media said if CW didn’t have a hamstring injury he would have beat Utah….. This kind of hype and especially the media support after a loss will not be there in the NFL, never is…..

When you compare the top 5 or so QBs in this years draft you really need to decide if the individual’s negatives or weaknesses would hurt your team or if they dont matter. Some teams do ok with a QB with limitations….
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

I think most of problems with CW lie within the"Attiutude,Maturity,and the Parental Factor" part of Life,He has never been allowed to or had to Grow Up.!! Hope he goes to Chicago.Kinda have the same sentiment as Chinaman.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?