A few final thoughts about the Sooners on Love's Field Opening

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

A few final thoughts about the Sooners on Love's Field Opening

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Nothing major here, just a few thoughts about the pitching options for the Sooners against the three teams.

Friday @ 2 PM against Miami (OH):

Because they hit the ball in the air so much, I am not so sure that Nicole May pitches the opener in Love's Field. May is a fly ball pitcher. While I think May deserves the start, she is als and has been her whole career the ultimate teammate. May has pitched against both, Miami (OH) and Liberty last year and in 2021 with success. I do not remember us playing Louisiana since 2021 when May joined the Sooners. Last weekend, I think Mississippi State new May just a bit too well and was ready for her, but May adjusted and was still good in her start against them.

So, I think Karlie Keeney is actually a very good matchup against Miami (OH). She is a fifth-year senior and has the experience needed for the first game. She also keeps the ball down in the zone very well. I think Keeney gets the first start in Love's Field.

Friday @ 5 PM vs Liberty:

I think Kelly Maxwell starts this game as she has not pitched against Liberty that I could find.

Saturday @ 11 AM vs Louisiana:

Nicole May starts the first game on Saturday.

Saturday @ 1:45 PM vs Liberty:

Kierston Deal gets the start against Liberty.

Sunday @ 12:30 PM vs Louisiana:

Maxwell has pitched against Louisiana before with success in 2022 and 2023. I think she get the start on Sunday.

Relievers:

With two starters on Friday, I think the other four Sooners do pitch on opening day. If the starters are Keeney and Maxwell, really no matter who the two starters are, I believe the other four pitchers do pitch at least an inning on Friday.

Lineup:

C - Hansen with relief help from Ludlam perhaps in both games.
1B - Sanders starts game 1, Parker may start in game 2.
DP - Parker starts in game 1, Ludlam starts in game 2.
2B - Torres starts game 1, Hodge starts game 2.
SS - Jennings starts both.
3B - Brito starts both.
LF / RF - Boone and Pickering start game 1 and game 2. Not sure who plays LF in either of the games.
CF - Coleman starts both.

The batting order is just too fluid so far. I have no real guess. But, we might see this:

Coleman
Jennings
Brito
Hansen
Parker
Sanders (Ludlam)
Pickering
Torres (Hodge)
Boone

I saw them trying to lay grass on the dirt areas outside and inside the stadium late yesterday afternoon. I hope the rain did not make that effort difficult or impossible to finish. I hope things are as great as I expect today.

Boomer Sooner!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Here is the Sooner staff writers article about the opening double-header at Love's Field and the additional games at Marita Hynes Field today for Oklahoma Sooner Softball.

https://soonersports.com/news/2024/2/29 ... tournament

Boomer Sooner!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Enjoy the games this weekend Believer. Looks like good weather albeit perhaps a bit fresh in the breeze early today but tomorrow and Sunday look awesome. Looking forward to your recaps of all the games and your thoughts on how the team is doing and the direction they are taking.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Kinzie Hansen on the Sooner Pitchers:

UNREAL!

OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Alyssa Brito on the LOUDEST Stadium in the Country - Love's Field"

MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:16 am Kinzie Hansen on the Sooner Pitchers:

UNREAL!

Listening Kinzie talk about the pitchers and her role as the catcher was fascinating.