Lexi Keys Gores the Horns: OU Win 71-70 - Back-to-Back Champions

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Lexi Keys Gores the Horns: OU Win 71-70 - Back-to-Back Champions

Post by OUBeliever56A »

It is true that the Sooners had too many turnovers on Wednesday night against the Texas Longhorns. It is true that the two of the main players were in foul trouble and had to sit on the bench at key times in the game. Yes, it is true that the Sooners did not shoot that well. But what is REALLY TRUE is that this women's basketball team of Oklahoma Sooners just has "IT"! They somehow know how to win. They somehow know how to get that one key rebound, or key jump ball or key pass in order to win the game. Last night, it was a hustling long rebound by Skylar Vann out in the corner in front of the Sooner bench that somehow she got to and made a pass in traffic to Lexi Keys who never hesitated and made a "Nothing but Net" 3-pointer from the left wing to put OU ahead in the game for only the second time in the game 71-70 with about 4 seconds left in the game.

In the end, the Sooners played as well as they could in those final four seconds of the game also as Texas had a chance to make a shot to salvage their win. But the Sooners managed to double on Booker down on the right block as she put up a shot that did have some contact against the vertical Sooner arms of Tucker and Vann. But the final shot never was close to going in as the final buzzer sounded. That secured the Sooner win and the celebration was on for the Sooners. They had just pulled off a back-to-back Regular Season Championship for Women's Basketball in the Big 12. They Sooners are now 15-2 in the Big 12 and hold a two game lead over Texas who dropped to 13-4 in Big 12 play. BTW, that 2 game difference is the two games that OU defeated Texas this season, 91-87 in Austin and 71-70 in Norman. There is only one game left in conference play, it now really does not matter that much. But I am sure that the Sooners will give full effort on Saturday in Lawrence against Kansas who is playing well at the end of the season. Oklahoma is now playing for seeding in the NCAA Tourney. They have earned that first round bye in the Big 12 Tourney. They have earned the right to bask in the sunlight as they hold up the regular season trophy for 2024.

The win was not easy. Oklahoma started slowly last night and trailed by 13 points at the 1:10 mark of the 1Q with Texas leading 21-8. With 8:30 left in the 2Q, Texas led by 15 points at 27-12, But OU found a little spark inside 3 minutes to play in the half and closed the gap from 12 points (38-26 Texas) to only a single point before the half ended. Verhulst made a three with 2:33 left in the 2Q, Tot made a three, Joens picked up a steal before making one of two free throws. Keys made a three just inside a minute to play to make it 38-36 and only a 2 point deficit. A free throw by Texas and a Verhulst bucket made the score 39-38 at halftime and Oklahoma had placed themselves back in the game after a big Longhorn lead.

Again in the 3Q, Texas built a 13 point lead at 56-43 at the 3:46 mark. But the Sooners outscored the Longhorns 11-2 over the next two minutes to trail 54-58 when Tot made a shot in the paint against the tall trees of the Texas frontcourt. The Texas lead was 6 points at the end of the 3Q, 60-54.

Oklahoma closed to within 1 point in the 4th minute of the 4th quarter as Keys made a three followed by a Williams bucket inside at 64-63 still in favor of Texas. Oklahoma took the first lead of the game at the 3:20 mark on a two-point bucket by Keys to put OU ahead 67-66. Texas moved back ahead on a bucket by the 6'4" Jones and two free throws by Booker at 70-67.

After Vann made a free shot to make it 68-70, Vann missed the second free throw which started an amazing string of plays. Tot, in the land of the giants somehow got the rebound of Vann's miss and then OU missed on a shot inside. Texas secured that rebound and got the ball out to Booker on the bench side of the court. Booker clearly mis-dribbled the ball which was not called but on a sequence of actions turned the ball over at midcourt on a frantic play. After OU inbounded the ball, Vann missed a shot inside with the rebound going off of Texas out of bounds. After another Vann miss, the ball was bouncing out towards the corner of the court in front of the Sooner bench. Vann got to the ball, managed to stay in bounds and made a pass around a Texas players to Keys standing behind the 3-point line in front of the OU bench. Keys never hesitated and shot the ball and it was pure net. Swish! The made three gave Oklahoma the lead for the second time in the game, 71-70. Texas took a timeout and advanced the ball to the frontcourt for the inbounds play with about 4 seconds to play.

Texas got the ball inbounds to Booker with Tucker guarding her closely. As Booker moved down the right side of the lane, Vann moved to help Tucker double Booker. OU hands were up straight vertical as Booker took her shot with the ball grazing the arms of probably both Tucker and Vann. The shot was never close as OU grabbed the rebound as the buzzer sounded. Booker pleaded for a foul to be called but there was no response from the officials. The Sooners had won the game and secured the outright Big 12 Regular Season Championship, 71-70.

Simply a great job by the Sooner Women. They just never give up and never give in to a loss. For them to be standing as the Big 12 Regular Season Champs after that 6-5 pre-season record in which they lost 5 of their last 6 games. A person would never have thought a Big 12 Championship was possible. But the Sooners got themselves rolling and have won 15 of 17 games only losing to K-State and West Virginia on the road.

They have one game left against Kansas on Saturday at 4 PM on ESPN+. A win on Saturday would make the Sooners 22-7 on the season and 16-2 in conference play. What a transformation Coach Baranczyk has led this team to make. Congrats to them in every way!

Boomer Sooner!
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

How do you get your team focused again after a win like that?

Joe C, if you are reading this, Jennie needs a BIG raise!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Great question. I have no idea.

I think though that who ever is the team leader has a key role. I do not know who that is either. It might be Verhulst. But that person, has to look at everyone and say......"our team goals are not complete yet, we have more work to do". "Let's get ready for Kansas on Saturday."

If the team does that, Coach Baranczyk just has to nudge them to get the full effort. But today should be a happy day of practice, maybe just a light workout or a quick shootaround.

But if I was Coach Baranczyk, I would show them the last three minutes of the first half and the last 2 minutes of the second half from last night again! With lots of praise and positive comments.

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

Bracketology:

After last night, Texas dropped to a 2 seed and OU moved up to a 5 seed. ESPN has us going to Gonzaga - maybe the furthest possible trip for OU?!

If Texas is a 2, OU should be higher than a 5. I understand the Big 12 is not the toughest conference - it maybe 5th of the power fives. However, the winner of the conference by 2 games that holds a 3-1 record against 2nd and 3rd teams deserves better than a 5. Makes no sense to me.

As for motivation in Lawrence (and Big 12 tourney) after a big win - I think tourney seeding for hosting opening weekend might be the ticket.

Not that it matters much anymore - but KSU lost again last night (at home to ISU). They have fallen to a 5 seed. Again, if KSU at 12-5 in the Big 12 is a 5, OU should be higher than a 5.
EMan

Post by EMan »

Texas* is 26-4 on the year. Half their losses are to OU! What’s hurting the Sooners is the home loss to Southern. Yes, it was a long time ago, before the team came together, but it was a bad loss. No two ways about it. Hopefully they’ll continue on this roll and move further up. I would think if they continue to win they’ll eventually move up another line.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

What kills me is that "bracketology" is always in the eye of the beholder. When the "it" teams are needing to be seeded higher but they don't win their conf champ game - it is "well, look at the quality of the season - the whole season matters". When they have some season losses that need to be overlooked, but win their conf champ game, it is "well, they are playing their best ball now and have earned it based on their last 3 games."

Bama is case in point in football - but in reality the criteria is always a moving goalpost to get teams where they "need" to be.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

This is a positive sign - glad to see the committee sees us close to where we should be.