OU - Washington: OU 4 UW 3 FINAL

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

As a travel ball coach recommending schools, the first thing I look at is turnover rate of entering classes. Knowing 3-4 leaving, the turnover rate is below 50%. Live on the portal and you will die especially Covid kids gone, nil and reputation.
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm
Lasooner11 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:28 am Deal yes, Guerin no
Everything ok with SJ?
Guerin wasn’t recruited by Rocha.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Everything ok with SJ?
To repeat, is there a problem with Guerin?
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

cushcreekmont wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:08 am I finally saw the obstruction play.

Tough on Hansen because the throw was low and toward the 3rd base line. Blocking the throw, she also blocked the plate. I read and re-read the rule. Blocking the base BEFORE the player has the ball is obstruction. Now the runner was not touched or impeded getting to the base (home plate) until Hansen had the ball.

The current rule could allow obstruction to be called on every run down play because the defensive players are "blocking" the base path without the ball.

Seems the rule should be that if the runner contacts the defender before the defender has the ball, it is obstruction. If the defender has the ball before contact, the position of the defender does not matter.
SUPERB POST!
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Seems the rule should be that if the runner contacts the defender before the defender has the ball, it is obstruction. If the defender has the ball before contact, the position of the defender does not matter.
I agree, the rule should be changed!
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Lasooner11 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:35 pm
Everything ok with SJ?
Guerin wasn’t recruited by Rocha.
I see what you are getting at.
But I hope Coach Rocha can get past that...a little bit anyway. I think SJ is a valuable piece to our pitching staff and throws in a much different way that can be successful also. I was worried that she wasn't happy with the team (which I really didn't think was the case) or that the coaches don't think she can be successful against our opponents, (but she was reasonably successful during the fall and had a good outing then against Sooner hitters.)
I get that we need to get Deal a lot of quality innings if she is going to be the lead dog going into next year and the SEC.....but we'll only have 4 on staff and one of those is Guerin--and she needs some innings too---especially against the likes of the Utah Valley's of the Softball world just to establish her confidence and get her teammates behind her as a valuable asset on our pitching staff.
C'mon, Jen.....give her an inning or two.....somewhere.....???
aka Crimson47
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Gasso grabs talent and does just enough to appease the masses. Guerin has only pitched to the OU hitters for the past year. Even if she were to play tomorrow, there will be nerves. Gasso is about today, she doesn’t worry about tomorrow or next years team until the season is over. The portal has shrunk, no more Covid players, grad transfers are a minimum, word of mouth between players and travel ball coaches has expanded. What I’m saying is more balance in softball, OU will have average years next couple of years.
Exfed

Post by Exfed »

We lose Coleman, Jennings, Boone, Hansen, Brito and May. We have been riding the crest of the wave which will never be forever in any sport. Appreciate it and look forward to the new adventure next year. I am trying not to be rude but that post by lasooner was very negative towards Patty. When you find an example of a coach that started in the position Patty was and built the program to where it is is let us know.

I will be waiting.
Lasooner11

Post by Lasooner11 »

Not negative on Patty at all. She takes it year by year now with the portal. She has the ability to address the needs very quick. My only issue is the portal has shrunk with Covid players out. It will be interesting to watch.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Yeah, we also lose Maxwell, Keeney, Ludlam and Torres. Hey, if we can somehow pull off the 4-peat, I'll be way beyond happy about it, regardless of how things turn out next year.