Looking back at the ascension of OU softball

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
oufanforever

Looking back at the ascension of OU softball

Post by oufanforever »

D1 softball published an article by Graham Hays that documented the key moments in the ascension of OU softball from a good program to the most dominant program in the sports. I thought it was a great read.

https://d1softball.com/living-history-1 ... -softball/

So, what are your top moments that changed the trajectory of OU softball?
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: You have to go back to 2000. The Sooners winning the National Championship and Patty getting a big raise which kept her Norman changed the future of OU softball. When the super regionals became a best 2 out of 3 series, the Sooners struggled to get back to the CWS as they kept getting sent to the powerhouse of Arizona. The Sooners needed a second ace and a little mote Star power to beat Arizona in a Super Regional. The next big turning point in OU softball was the arrival of Kellani Ricketts and Michelle Gascoigne. The Sooners had 2 ace pitchers to get more competitive in Super Regional. The next big thing was the arrival of Laren Chamerlain in 2012. Now the Sooners had their bomber and were ready to compete for a Natinal Championship. We should have won it I 2012 but got robbed. The 2013 team slaughtered everyone in sight until the the marathon game I 2013. Every since the arrival of Kellani Ricketts an Lauren Chamberlin, Patty has been able to recruit super stars. Every since the number one ranked recruiting class and Paige Parker won the 2016 Natty. Patty has been able to recruit superstar players in groups, not just one here in there and what the team had a weakness, she covered with stud transfers. This next statement may catch some heat but Covid really boosted Sooner softball. When all the players were awarded an extra year of eligibility all of sudden studs who would have graduated still had eligibility when the next loaded class of freshman recruits, the Sooners overnight had a Super team. Now you had Stud Super seniors teach stud freshman the championship Mindset.. The teams with Super Seniors were so successful, that fresh classes with freshman All Americans and now All conerence/ All American players started being more interest in transferring in. Ofcourse getting Jocelyn Alo to switch her commitment to OU was key in keeping the Championships going.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

I had read that Jocelyn Alo was considering going to U. of California before Patty Gasso talked her into OU. I don't think there's ever been a better hitter than Alo, and not just homeruns, but a better hitter period. I would think her being at OU also helped Patty with recruiting quite a bit.
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Just about every freshman and high profile transfer when listing what brought them to OU will say the family atmosphere, becoming a better person and player etc are key reasons they chose OU. They also also add in, that they want win a national championship. I go back to getting Keilani Ricketts and Lauren Chamberlin.
Because of their individual success and the fact they were to the big reasons OU won the 2013 National title was the spark that lit the fire inOU recruiting. After those 2 players now you got young players growing up dreaming of playing for OU and being the near Keilani Rickets or Lauren Chamerlain. You get players like Alo, Jayda Coleman, Tiare Jennings. As far as key transfers, you could fill a page with names with key players who came to OU wanting to win National Championship. With the success
Alo had, the next generation of Softball players want to be the next Alo
Now you have a core group of 5 seniors who have a chance to win a natty in every
each of their 4 year career. Then add Burito. I don't know she didn't come to OU as a freshman, but she is really added to the core group. This group of seniors is a big reason OU got the 4 studs who are freshmen this year and next years class has been labeled as this best class in history.
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

You have detailed the strong beginning, which set the path (2012 should've been the natty that started the run, but...)

I have to mention Shay Knighten's 17th inning HR that gave OUr Sooners a win in the SB World Series as another pivotal moment.
texsa sucks!
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou:
cushcreekmont wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:03 am You have detailed the strong beginning, which set the path (2012 should've been the natty that started the run, but...)

I have to mention Shay Knighten's 17th inning HR that gave OUr Sooners a win in the SB World Series as another pivotal moment.
That a moment that will forever along with Chamberlains homerun against Tennesee will forever live in Sooner fans memory that witnessed it. Definitely defining moments of OU softball.
I didn't go into detail on that group in 2016, but what they did with one software super star pitcher will probably never be duplicated.
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

JSULL60 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 pm :ou:
cushcreekmont wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:03 am You have detailed the strong beginning, which set the path (2012 should've been the natty that started the run, but...)

That a moment that will forever along with Chamberlains homerun against Tennesee will forever live in Sooner fans memory that witnessed it. Definitely defining moments of OU softball.
I didn't go into detail on that group in 2016, but what they did with one software super star pitcher will probably never be duplicated.
Paige Parker was a Wonder Woman in 2016.She was great all year, but showed out in the WCWS, with no meaningful pitching backup. Also, 2016 re Shay Knighten, I'll likely not forget that amazing defensive play she made against Auburn in the first game of the WCWS finals, knocking down that rocket hit to the right side, and throwing out that runner at home plate.