The Greatest Player That Never Was...

This forum is dedicated to honoring SOONER players and coaches that have passed away
OU Chinaman

The Greatest Player That Never Was...

Post by OU Chinaman »

...He was raised the son of a hard driving former football star and an ambitious Southern Belle in the most "TEXAS" of all cities, Fort Worth.
He sought avenues of expressing his youthful frustrations and of defying the conventions of the 1950's, finding solace in strict dietary regimens, weight lifting, and the writings of mystics and Eastern, Indian holy men.
Devastatingly handsome, alternately charming and grotesque, Joe Don Looney fiercely pursued development of his physical gifts as an athlete until his potential for greatness caught the eye of the nayion's football elite.
But his latent craving for unconditional love remained unfulfilled.
He actively challenged--becoming legendary in the process--the disciplined paramilitary world of Bud Wilkinson's football dynasty at the University of Oklahoma that had already made him a football star of national dimension.
In 1963, Looney led the nation in punting average and garnered All American honors as a halfback for the SOONERS.
But the hypocrisy of it all burned within him and he was dismissed in mid season after a crushing loss.

His bizarre defiance of authority was however continually balanced by coaches against his potential and their eagerness to win at all costs.
This balancing act continued through 5 professional football teams after Joe Don became the first round draft choice of the New York Giants.
There were spectacular flashes of brilliance on the field, but tragically, he found no real peace off the field, experiencing a troubling tour of Viet Nam, a failed marriage, and drug experimentation.
From the dust cover of J. Brent Clark's book 3RD DOWN & FOREVER. Joe Don Looney & the Rise & Fall of an American Hero -My highest recommendation!!! :cool:

...When I was 8 years old, 3rd grade, I became a lifelong fan of the OKLAHOMA SOONERS Football program.
It was Bud Wilkinson's last hurrah.
OKLAHOMA was 8-2 overall and 7-0 in the Big 8 conf. and all I heard older boys and men talking about was Joe Don Looney.
In September 1962, Joe Don had not his stride at OU.
First game was with Srycuse. I listened to it on the radio that was static-cy and fuzzy.
Remember the final game of 1962 was with OwussU.
OU won 37-6.
Joe Don rushed for 101 yds & scored on a pass reception.
He led the nation in punting average at 43.4 yds.
He was 5th in the nation in rushing with 852 yds & 6.2 yds. per carry.
Was even named to an All American team if memory serves.
But, the name Looney was heard repeatedly by a young kid with excitement at my first inkling of how much, how important SOONER Football was to seemingly everyone in OKLAHOMA.
From that 1962 season, to this very day... SOONER Football has been a passionate indulgence I allow myself and will to the day I pass away.

My first rudimentary understanding of what fun there is in a spectator sport.
Again, let me encourage anyone who has not read 3RD Down & Forever to DO IT! The Introduction is by the KING. Some revealing information about Wilkinson near the end, before his entry into politics

"JOE DON LOONEY!" Born 10 OCT. 1942--Died 24 Sept. 1988--(The Boz was the current SOONER bad boy!)
R.I.P.

My very first football hero. Probably says a lot about me! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Last edited by OU Chinaman on Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Yeah, Joe Don was a rebellious kid, tremendously talented. Loved the book, it is in my personal library.

Every Sooner fan should read it, highly recommended.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Last thing I ever heard about him is that he was tending some kept elephants in India. That info was from 1990 or 1991, I think. Don't know what happened to him after that.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Died in motorcycle accident in 1991 I think .
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Excellent Book BudaSooner...Got it too.Joe Don was the Man!
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

waddy's ghost wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:50 pm Died in motorcycle accident in 1991 I think .
I somehow missed the post that was entered before your post, about him dying in 1988.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Coach Wilkinson's dealings with Looney contributed to Bud's retiring as HC at OU. I have also heard that Bud had grown tired of recruiting.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

inconnu wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:52 pm
waddy's ghost wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:50 pm Died in motorcycle accident in 1991 I think .
I somehow missed the post that was entered before your post, about him dying in 1988.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Coach Wilkinson's dealings with Looney contributed to Bud's retiring as HC at OU. I have also heard that Bud had grown tired of recruiting.
Bud was a coach from a generation that would be appalled to have to deal with the athletes of today, many/most of whom are totally in the "what's in it for me?" mindset. If dealing with Joe Don's rebellious nature was disturbing to Bud, I can only shake my head at how he would respond to today's athletes!
There is no doubting that the requirements of a college coach today is far more demanding than what Bud faced.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

BudaSooner wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:18 am
inconnu wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:52 pm

Bud was a coach from a generation that would be appalled to have to deal with the athletes of today, many/most of whom are totally in the "what's in it for me?" mindset. If dealing with Joe Don's rebellious nature was disturbing to Bud, I can only shake my head at how he would respond to today's athletes!
There is no doubting that the requirements of a college coach today is far more demanding than what Bud faced.
Heck, it's even gotten to be too much for the coaching genius Nick Saban. We can hope it's not too much to cope with for Brent Venables.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...one of the more fascinating things in the book (for me) was the supposed story about Joe Don fighting or striking an AG coach. The coach Johnny Tatum, claimed it never happened, :dude:
As a kid, I always thought that was the REAL reason Looney was dismissed.

"Joe Don's rebelliousness and "sensitivity" (quotation marks added) were benchmarks at OKLAHOMA , and indeed all of college football.
By the time Joe Don arrived at OKLAHOMA in the fall of 1962, Wilkinson's "system" was crumbling, a deterioration of which he was all too keenly aware. The brash, intelligent, tart-tongued maverick Joe Don Looney, forced Bud to confront the human face of his troops long before he or the rest of the college footbal establishment was ready.
More than 25 years of hindsight reveal that Joe Don heralded a coming tidal wave of irreverent, outspoken athletic individuals.
Wilkinson's greatest fear has been fully realized."
-from page 110 of 3rd DOWN & FOREVER
Very prophetic. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Yes I have the same book. Great read, when kids played for pride & honor, not 💰 & fame. America was a whole different place then.
Guy,s we grew up in the best time in history. I would not trade my journey threw life with any today.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Fitting for Joe Don that his last name was Looney.