2024 Offensive Line Starters

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Bottom post of the previous page:

More good discussion on next year's OL.
Sam Mayes, former All American at Ok State gives his analysis.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Interesting to compare/contrast Mayes' analysis w/ Ikard's. They have very different takes on Brown & Nwaiwu. The potential of landing the Hatchett brothers from Washington via the portal could have a major impact on the quality of the 2024 OL. Assume you land both of them & OU could go into spring with at minimum a 7- or 8-man rotation with some competition for spots & playing time. If they land the Hatchett's, the OL depth chart going into the spring would potentially look something like this:

RT: Brown, SR, 6'6" 315 ..... Jake Taylor, JR, 6'6" 310 ..... Heath Ozaeta, RFr, 6'5" 315
RG: Nwaiwu, JR, 6'4" 315 ..... Michael Tarquin, SR, 6'5" 300
C: L. Hatchett, SOPH, 6'2" 310 - OR - Josh Bates, SOPH, 6'3" 315 - OR - Troy Everett, JR, 6'3" 295
LG: G. Hatchett, JR, 6'4" 305 ..... M. Tarquin
LT: J. Sexton, JR, 6'6" 325 ..... J Taylor ..... Logan Howland, RFr, 6'6" 285

This would allow you some time for the true freshmen who just arrived on campus to get acclimated, learn the playbook, etc. If they pick things up quickly, they could move up the depth chart, but because they earned it, not because Bedenbaugh was forced to due to a lack of depth.
Fly

Post by Fly »

Thank you fellows for the info, as for your thoughts, on the OL. So many of us just get to rapped up in the running backs, QB,s,
receivers & so on. The OL, fans tend to not pay as much attention to those guy,s unless there not doing there job. OL is the back
bone of the offense. I wish we could focus more attention to the silent hero,s of the offense more. Here is a big 👏 to your post !

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Interesting analysis by Mayes. He's obviously pretty well-spoken. I thought it was a curious choice to bring in an OSU aggie to analyze OU. His take was pretty pessimistic. Although they didn't discuss it on this video, it sounds like a good result with the Hatchett brothers is very much needed to give BB more good options.
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

Oklahombre wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:35 pm Colleyville, you sure have some good posts (only 21). Glad to see you on the board...

I'm a fan... :BV: :ou:
Much appreciated, Oklahombre! Years ago I was pretty active on the old Soonerfans.com board, but after it died I did not post much on any other board. Soonertimes seems friendly and there is not the childish bickering like you see on Dirt Burglers.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Brisket wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 am Interesting to compare/contrast Mayes' analysis w/ Ikard's. They have very different takes on Brown & Nwaiwu. ..........
This struck me too, Brisket. Almost complete opposite analysis on both.

We'll see. Bedenbaugh has always managed to put a productive unit on the field. It may take four or five games (which might be expensive in W/L this year), but always pretty damned solid (especially passpro) by mid-season. Getting both Hatchet bros. would be very, very helpful in accelerating this process. But damn......we need another OT. From recollection, neither Ikard or Mayes favored Brown at OT.
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

Big domino falls into place for the good guys as Geirean Hatchett committed to OU earlier today. He should have 2 years of eligibility remaining.
Hatchett Commitment
ColleyvilleSooner

Geirean Hatchett is a big pickup. There is a good chance he starts at RG. I believe he has played every position at Washington although he is best suited on the inside. Hatchett was a 4 star and highly recruited out of HS and is known for his athleticism. His younger brother Landen decided to stay at UW.

I'm having a lot of fun speculating who starts next season at OL. There are so many possibilities with new portal transfers and younger players ready to play. I am really hoping a couple of RS-Freshmen next season, Joshua Bates at center and OG/OT Heath Ozaeta, have breakout seasons and start for us. We have lots of talent and possibilities, just not the experience.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

I don't know if it is true, but I've heard that Hatchett is staying at Washington through the spring in order to graduate from there, and then will join the Sooners this summer.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Russ C Wrote:Yet there are those who wish OU would pay stupid money................................Im certainly not on the Stupid Money Train yet but we have to be careful.In my opinion its a slippery slope.I do not want us to fall behind over $$.in the SEC our revenues should increase in time so I expect that there may come a time when we have to up our 'Ante.We are still Oklahoma!!!!!!! But CFB is a whole new Animal now.....(why do you think Saban Retired?)
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

gcruse7 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:39 pm I don't know if it is true, but I've heard that Hatchett is staying at Washington through the spring in order to graduate from there, and then will join the Sooners this summer.
That makes sense. I read that he removed his name from the portal, but I suppose he can re-enter it in the spring.
ColleyvilleSooner

gcruse7 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:39 pm I don't know if it is true, but I've heard that Hatchett is staying at Washington through the spring in order to graduate from there, and then will join the Sooners this summer.
That is entirely possible. I think last Friday was the deadline for Spring enrollment at OU and there is no Hatchett to be found in the OU student directory just now. Maybe he can convince little bro to come with him while he stays at UW. I read there is still hope that Landen hits the next portal period and comes to OU next fall.
RussC

Post by RussC »

WishBone wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:10 pm Russ C Wrote:Yet there are those who wish OU would pay stupid money................................Im certainly not on the Stupid Money Train yet but we have to be careful.In my opinion its a slippery slope.I do not want us to fall behind over $$.in the SEC our revenues should increase in time so I expect that there may come a time when we have to up our 'Ante.We are still Oklahoma!!!!!!! But CFB is a whole new Animal now.....(why do you think Saban Retired?)
It’s a knife edge. From what out sounds like, OU might go as high as OL coach money but won’t go all the way to OC money. Sounds reasonable to me
#Mentally In Portal
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:09 pm
Oklahombre wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:35 pm Colleyville, you sure have some good posts (only 21). Glad to see you on the board...

Much appreciated, Oklahombre! Years ago I was pretty active on the old Soonerfans.com board, but after it died I did not post much on any other board. Soonertimes seems friendly and there is not the childish bickering like you see on Dirt Burglers.
I too am a refugee from SF, back then I posted as stoopified . After Bob left I felt my handle was out of date . Waddys ghost however will honor Walter Roland Young as long as I live .
ColleyvilleSooner

waddy's ghost wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:31 pm
ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:09 pm

I too am a refugee from SF, back then I posted as stoopified . After Bob left I felt my handle was out of date . Waddys ghost however will honor Walter Roland Young as long as I live .
I remember you, bro! You posted a lot. For a while SF was the bomb for both OU football and politics/other issues. It was a hoot to post and read. I didn't care for some of the administrators and there was that clique of posse members who eventually helped ruin the board. They helped ban anyone who offended them.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Yeah.... SF was a good board for a long time.
However, this board has always been my home. It's origins go back to damn near the availability of the internet en-masse. It has outlasted so many others.