WishBone

How Does The NCAA Stop This and When?

Post by WishBone »

Barstool Longhorn
@UTBarstool
·
1h
We are currently on a Hall of Fame worthy Tampering run

This is referencing the Whornies being CrystalBalled to get Jabbar Muhammad from Washington.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

I'm not sure how the NCAA can stop it. The investigative manpower required and the incredibly difficult job of building a case against wrongdoers suggests it cannot be regulated under the current governing structures. Besides, much of the "tampering" is probably instigated by students searching for NIL deals with larger payouts. The only way I can see this coming under control is for student athlete football players coming under employment contract with universities. Of course, this would have to be agreed to by schools within conferences and then between conferences themselves. All contracts will carry a one-year non-compete clause. The NCAA is terrified that any restrictions imposed will be challenged in court where they would lose. With employment contracts, that would not be a problems. The sport will probably move to something like this....how long it takes is anyone's guess.
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

Ironically, if college football is to retain any of the characteristics that separates itself from the NFL, it will have to institute NFL-like mechanisms. Restrictions on free agency and something that resembles a salary cap are two items I can see coming in the near future.
RussC

Post by RussC »

StatesEye wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:26 pm Ironically, if college football is to retain any of the characteristics that separates itself from the NFL, it will have to institute NFL-like mechanisms. Restrictions on free agency and something that resembles a salary cap are two items I can see coming in the near future.
100% agree. What would you say to a possible Commissioner Saban? Might be the perfect guy at the perfect time.
#Mentally In Portal
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I always thought Greg Sankey would be the perfect guy for a college football czar. But who would replace him at the SEC?? And he might not want something like that.
aka Crimson47
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

May not want someone like him(Sankey)? Saban would be my choice.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

StatesEye wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:26 pm Ironically, if college football is to retain any of the characteristics that separates itself from the NFL, it will have to institute NFL-like mechanisms. Restrictions on free agency and something that resembles a salary cap are two items I can see coming in the near future.
Well, there WAS restrictions to free agency of sorts when players had to sit out a year and usually lost a year of eligibility for transferring. But that was deemed "unfair" by enough people we have what we have now.

NIL salary cap would require some law changes on the federal level. Maybe congress gets involved. I'm not betting on it though.

The main problem is that the NFL treats collage as their minor league/developmental league. Well that's not true. That's not the main problem. That would be fine if they did that and colleges just did their own thing which was 'the way' for decades. But after some time, people/fans/sports writers/etc, and eventually dumb rear judges, began to see college football not as 'college' but as a developmental league, despite the fact that VERY few college football players ever play in the NFL. As such apples and oranges comparisons get made as though they're making legit arguments and it becomes "unfair" that these poor, poor athletes aren't getting PAID and it's unfair that they usually have to stay at their school when a career coach makes a career move.

Most of these kids are making money off the brand on the front of the jersey. A brand that was built by many generations of players before them that were paid with just a scholarship, the smarter ones got a legitimately useful degree. Most of these same kids will be broke within 5 years of "graduation"... and yeah, graduation needed quotes because many will not graduate, and most that do will have useless degrees.

But HAY, this needed to be done because the system was SO unfair for these poor, poor student athletes.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Fly

Post by Fly »

You guys have brought up some great points. Since when are the Rules we have in place unfair. That is the problem with this type of
Thinking into day world. It started out your GIVING a kid a FREE education worth thousands of $$$$$$$$ for playing a game they
LOVE to play. No one is twisting there arm to sign with you. To make things even with in schools there must be rules to keep things fair.

It is very simple, but all of a sudden you are using the kid unfairly for profit, to do what he agrees to by his own choice. No one is
Twisted his arm, by the offer, he can leave any time he wants. But NO! Said the bleeding heart’s 🥰. And now look where we are? :confusedplus: .
Give me a physical break :deadhorse: . Maybe that’s why things today are so screwed up in America. I remember my father saying
this to me. (Son nothing comes free in life, you must earn it. You only get out of life what put in to it). I tried to in stow that in my
kids. My son, on his own applied to the US military academy at West Point. The year he applied only 4 cadets were to be excepted
that year from Okla.To get in you must have a congressional nomination to be excepted. He had two, Congressmen Micky Edward's & Senator
Don Nickels. Most know the all the hazing hard academic’s & so on those cadets must go threw to even make it threw. Sorry for
Me getting on my band wagon but how do you think my feelings are toward these athletes being given the world on a platter to
come to there school. This will kill college football from with in. I remember that ole movie about Bear Bryant when he coach at
Texas A&am. That movie always comes to mine when I here this crap. Someone out there know the movie & I hope you will name it.

Sorry about my rant! 🪰Fly :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

I looked that movie up. The Junction Boys, if you have not seen it look it up. Great True Story.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338619/me ... f_=tt_md_1

🪰Fly :BV: :ou: