Predict OU record 2024 regular season

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Brisket wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:33 pm
RussC wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:28 pm Brisket: it’s my impression that there is a ton of returning competitive depth on defense. What you said does not click with what many are saying. Pretty much the whole D returns for their 3rd year in BV’s system.
It may be "competitive," but it isn't "experienced." OU is counting on a BUNCH of players with little to no college football experience next season. They are still 2-3 years away from completely overhauling the roster to be like the Bama's, Georgia's, Ohio States, & Michigans of the world & be able to ease freshmen into their systems.

If you look at the Depth Chart from the Alamo Bowl, I would argue the only positions with competitive, experienced depth on the team next season are WR & LB, and maybe DE.

Let's go by position:

QB: It's Jackson Arnold and then what? No one in that room who has played a meaningful snap. Rumors of Casey Thompson returning to be the backup are out there, but nothing official yet.

RB: Sawchuck. Then Barnes??? He was MIA all season. Maybe he can return to his freshman form. Will Hicks step up? Tatum? If they can handle blitz pickups, RB is one of the easiest positions for a freshman to contribute.

TE: Nada. Transfer from SE Louisiana. The phenom true freshman Mitchell. Maybe the transfer from Baylor, Roberts, but nothing official.

OL: we all know about the issues here.

WR: Lots of returning experience & production coming back - Anderson, Farooq, Gibson, Thompson, the transfer from Purdue; hopefully Anthony returns at fullspeed.

DE: R. Mason Thomas, Downs, PJ. the transfer from Miami, OH. Really need RMT & PJ to take that next step in their development.

DT: Lacey & Terry. That's it. You're counting on redshirt freshmen & true freshmen across the board.

LB: Covered. 6 players with lots of experience returning - Kanak, McKinzie, Stutsman, Lewis, McCullough, Dolby.

CB: Washington & Williams. Hopefully Gentry can stay healthy. All the backups in the bowl game were freshmen.

Safety: Bowen, Bowman, Spears-Jennings. The room is deep. It may be talented & competitive. There just aren't any guys who have played much college football.

I think you just described almost every team in college football. Experienced players aren't hanging around to be Depth, they're going to go start somewhere else if they can. This is not unique to OU.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

Zgeo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:16 am I would like to point out that LSU was 81st in scoring defense and 108 in total defense and lost their Heisman QB Jayden Daniels. I dont see why people are so high on LSU. :confusedplus: :confusedplus: :confusedplus:
In the same tune, I don't understand why some people are so high on Texas. They won't be as good next year as they were this year and OU beat them this year.

As for OU's record, too much is unknown right now. I could see anything from 7-5 to 10-2.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

USA Todat has Sooners at 8 in 2024 preseason rankings….. :bow:

:eyes: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/oklahoma-s ... 22182.html
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

[vimeo][/vimeo]

Casey Thompson back to OU for 7th year. Looks to add experience as backup QB

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/o ... e1804.html
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I guess an experienced QB is always good to have around, but I wish we'd spend some schollys and nil on some offensive linemen instead......
aka Crimson47
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

The guy is experienced, but it seemed like he'd have a good first half, then start throwing picks and making mistakes. If Arnold misses any time next year, let's hope he has progressed past those bad habits.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

CT had the Sooners beat in the RRR untill miracle comeback by CW… :ou: :ou: :ou:
RussC

Post by RussC »

I don’t think Thompson is taking a scholarship or much NIL. He desperately wanted a place to go with top notch rehab facilities to come back from his torn ACL. Also he will be able to participate in OU pro day 2025.
#Mentally In Portal
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

RussC wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:42 pm I don’t think Thompson is taking a scholarship or much NIL. He desperately wanted a place to go with top notch rehab facilities to come back from his torn ACL. Also he will be able to participate in OU pro day 2025.
Ok. That makes some sense. At least he would have a chance to move on from here that he might not have elsewhere...and if he comes cheap...fine.
Still want some offensive linemen tho.
aka Crimson47
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Lots of things are changing but SOME remain the same:

Oklahoma, Texas Signees Argue Outcomes in First SEC Season
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Casey Thompson interviewed by Brandon Drumm. Talks about his Okla HS career and path to get to OU.

Casey Thompson
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

BV has recruited HS very well and is not throwing money bags at NIL portal transfers. Plus he is wisely cultivating local OK PWO talent and adding depth that way. Our number of players, scholarship and PWO, are way up. BV definitely has the right vision for being competitive and is doing the right things. But all this takes time to yield results.

Realistically I see 7-5 in 2024 and we may be a better team than 2023. I think we are a couple of years from being towards the upper part of the SEC. We will take our lumps next season as will Texas. I have no idea why Texas is predicted to be ranked so high given their losses on defense and skill positions on offense. And who knows, maybe Arch will leave in the next portal period now that goober Ewers is coming back.

The bar of being a true NC contender is probably higher than most think. UT had their best team in almost 15 years and their expectations were sky high going into the playoffs. Then they learned on the field they were not NC caliber. Even if got by Washington thanks to UW gifts at the end, Michigan would have blown them out by 4 TDs or so in the final. OU has made 4 playoffs but only our 2017 team was truly competitive and NC material. TCU played a magical game in 2022 against Michigan but Georgia showed them where they stood and just dominated the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. And in the future with the 12 team format the bar will be even higher and even more quality depth required. So strap in, it may be a bumpy few years. I am optimistic but also a realist.