My Recap

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
boomermet

Post by boomermet »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Just hope Seth are watching the Ole Miss Penn State game on how to use the tight end in ur offense. We just seem to use them as blockers.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

boomermet wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm Just hope Seth are watching the Ole Miss Penn State game on how to use the tight end in ur offense. We just seem to use them as blockers.
Pretty sure Devon Mitchell coming in will ensure that the tight end will be more prominent.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Being a fan can be tough at times. We have the highs of the tx game, which showed us what we can do. And the lows of the 2 loses prior to bowl. Lebby let us down based on a lot of factors but players and even refs did as well. Even if we forget Lebby and the refs, if we don’t turn ball over we win those games.

Now, lets say we win and then we play the B12 title game. My guess is we lose that game solely because its hard to win 2 vs same team in same year. But lets say we lose and are 12-1, where do we go bowling? If it was say a 1 point loss do they put both of us in the playoffs? That would leave 2 spots for Mich/Wash/Bama/Ga/FSU.

We’ll never know. We likely get left out but woukd have an argument to get in based on 1-1 vs tx and a better point spread (win by 4, lost by 1).

Thing is we had the talent to get there in year 2. And we fumbled it away. Had we made playoffs a lot more players stay to play.

As for the bowl loss, Farooq was to me the biggest loss reason. But all 6 turnovers mattered. The 2 INTs by JA in first half were big and lead to points. But I and we tend to give him more of a pass due to first ever start as a true freshman. The Farooq fumbles were a 3rd year player, and due to situations were just total backbreakers. As a more seasoned player you are supposed to set the example and help your rookie qb.

I love Brent as HC. Amd even though we got better at game management this year that series prior to half was horrible. We had over a minute. And we ran the first 3 plays. And then decided to pass? Wasted so much time and ended up punting. We can’t throw series away no matter when they are.

As for runs, we had 201 run yards. You can’t take away the long runs either unless you take away the short ones. A run is a run and our battered oline made some holes. But on one drive at 5 yard line with first dkwn we ran 3 times? Things get tight there and why no pass attempts? Would have gained us 4 points had we punched in bs FG (and our kicker made all hos kicks).

Lots to learn. Lots of newcomers. Some great portals. Next year will be tough but its also tough for the SEC teams having to play us too. Ole Miss is loaded but now they play us along with Bama instead of just Bama. It works both ways and the SEC is going go be a bloodbath.

What I liked about JA was after bad start he played great in 2/3 quarters. Fourth qtr was rough and by then I think Seth ran out of plays and Arizona knew our sets. And after that fumble 6, AZ had the momemtum. And our oline started to leak with rookie center in.

One more running note. 200 yards with only 2 RBs and a first time QB and a makeshift oline - thats a good sign for when Seth gets more runnikg back depth. If he can do that with 2, he’ll do better with more. And we’ll have a much better TE room.
In Brent I Trust :D
boomermet

Post by boomermet »

No problem with running stats, some of those were JA. It was frequency. It seem we have a successful run or two then back to passing and that was that. How many rbs do we need to play? We have 2 good ones. Just sayin
BrngBkLilRed

Post by BrngBkLilRed »

Well said Chinaman. There isn't a better man to be the head coach at OU