Archie ....this aint right?

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Paying a HS kid $2.8 million or whatever to go to a university and not play football is akin to the old “mark to market” accounting Enron used back in the day………

There is a bubble in NIL currently but it will deflate once boosters realize it is the program that is valuable not one HS kid like Arch Manning..and MORE TO THE POINT …until and unless there are national championships no one gets paid…..
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

RussC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:35 pm
Soonr80 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:07 pm
RussC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:16 am

A collective bargaining agreement would be required to make any meaningful reform. In order to have a flat salary for incoming freshman that would stand up in court, a CBA would have to define that salary provision and a players union would have to agree.
And the differences between the haves and have nots would make it unworkable. The better teams would underpay and the lesser would be forced to overpay.
I’m not saying that I’ve described a workable system. Only that there is no way to cap rookie salaries without a union and a CBA.
Based upon historical precedent, I don't think unions are the answer to any problem. They sound good up front but ultimately cause more problems than they solve.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Pokerman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:35 am

And the differences between the haves and have nots would make it unworkable. The better teams would underpay and the lesser would be forced to overpay.
I’m not saying that I’ve described a workable system. Only that there is no way to cap rookie salaries without a union and a CBA.
Based upon historical precedent, I don't think unions are the answer to any problem. They sound good up front but ultimately cause more problems than they solve.
Do you have a system you'd like to propose to put boundaries on this situation?
SoonerGGS

Post by SoonerGGS »

RussC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:16 am

A collective bargaining agreement would be required to make any meaningful reform. In order to have a flat salary for incoming freshman that would stand up in court, a CBA would have to define that salary provision and a players union would have to agree.
Thanks, you are right and that is the challenge. Hoping the NIL craziness will settle out. I get that the NIL thing. The interesting side is there are a lot of HS football players who come from a family that could use the money. I don't think Arch is one.
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:26 am
Pokerman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:35 am

Do you have a system you'd like to propose to put boundaries on this situation?

Not really. I wish I did.

I happen to think that all the problems stem from when many starting saying that the "student-athletes" were being taken advantage of.
I just wish somebody would have taken advantage of me when I was in school by giving me a scholarship. Maybe I would have had to work at some of the crappy, low-paying jobs I did just to get through school. I was a half-way decent athlete but nothing special. I was, however, pretty darned smart but couldn't get a sniff at an academic scholarship. Didn't know the right people, I suppose.

Most of my suggestions would start at a more basic level:

Stop the idol worship for celebrities - TV, movies, athletes (oh, what a heretic I am).
Stop pretending that a college degree is a prerequisite for success in life - it isn't. It's mostly a prerequisite for a job (which is not my definition of success).
Stop making the cost of education prohibitive.
Start requiring a return on investment from those you support.
Start requiring some degree of reciprocation for any loyalty you offer to those you support.

Some combination of these elements need to be included in the working relationship.
You wouldn't enter into a business relationship without them (if you're wise).
Individual contracts might be the answer. Unions are not.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

2 tracks for college athlete……

Scholarship track you get room board tuition books $1000 a month 4 year commitment, transfer ok if coach leaves otherwise one transfer limit,

NIL track you get. negotiated contract with base salary and performance incentives and committed time frames. ( nothing else) transfers available only when not under contract but otherwise no restrictions…….

The kids going nfl would tend toward NIL track, the kids not going NFL would tend toward Scholarship track…..

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

Zgeo wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:28 am 2 tracks for college athlete……

Scholarship track you get room board tuition books $1000 a month 4 year commitment, transfer ok if coach leaves otherwise one transfer limit,

NIL track you get. negotiated contract with base salary and performance incentives and committed time frames. ( nothing else) transfers available only when not under contract but otherwise no restrictions…….

The kids going nfl would tend toward NIL track, the kids not going NFL would tend toward Scholarship track…..

There are undoubtedly a lot of good ideas that could create a fair and equitable system. The problem we face is that we have a "justice" system that is thoroughly corrupt and agenda-driven. It will ultimately rule out "fairness" in favor of the agenda. If we can fix the judicial system, we might have a shot at fixing the problem. Otherwise, I'm not optimistic.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Pokerman wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:43 am
Zgeo wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:28 am 2 tracks for college athlete……

There are undoubtedly a lot of good ideas that could create a fair and equitable system. The problem we face is that we have a "justice" system that is thoroughly corrupt and agenda-driven. It will ultimately rule out "fairness" in favor of the agenda. If we can fix the judicial system, we might have a shot at fixing the problem. Otherwise, I'm not optimistic.
Well yes you are correct the “justice system” would prevent a 2 track system since some kid and some lawyer would sue to try to get both tracks for themselves….ok enjoy CFB for its remaining time about 10 years….
humblesooner

Post by humblesooner »

The justice system ruled that players should be able to be compensated for their NIL.
The college world (NCAA or a new organization) will never be allowed to put rules or stipulations on NIL.
They would get slaughtered in an appeal to the justice system.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

humblesooner wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:19 pm The justice system ruled that players should be able to be compensated for their NIL.
The college world (NCAA or a new organization) will never be allowed to put rules or stipulations on NIL.
Thats correct. One way to slow it down is if NCAA came out with rules you had to sign x amount of HS players per year. This would reduce amount of transfers you could take in and by default less NIL transfers. It would not reduce any amount of NIL you could pay rather would reduce free agency to a degree.

Don’t know what the number should be but it could be figured out
In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

OU Guy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:52 pm
humblesooner wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:19 pm The justice system ruled that players should be able to be compensated for their NIL.
Thats correct. One way to slow it down is if NCAA came out with rules you had to sign x amount of HS players per year. This would reduce amount of transfers you could take in and by default less NIL transfers. It would not reduce any amount of NIL you could pay rather would reduce free agency to a degree.

Having players under contract will control free agency (see NFL). If team X has the rights to player Y for the next 2 years, it doesn’t matter how much NIL team Z offers.
#Mentally In Portal
humblesooner

Post by humblesooner »

RussC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:02 pm

Having players under contract will control free agency (see NFL). If team X has the rights to player Y for the next 2 years, it doesn’t matter how much NIL team Z offers.
I'm no legal nor labor expert, but, the NFL has an anti-trust exemption and a player's union.
I would assume that college player contracts might require something similar to be in place. Probably a long road considering you are talking over a hundred teams with 75 to 85 player's per team, compared to 32 teams with 60 or 70 players per team.
RussC

Post by RussC »

humblesooner wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:12 pm
RussC wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:02 pm

I'm no legal nor labor expert, but, the NFL has an anti-trust exemption and a player's union.
I would assume that college player contracts might require something similar to be in place. Probably a long road considering you are talking over a hundred teams with 75 to 85 player's per team, compared to 32 teams with 60 or 70 players per team.
I’m no expert either. I can’t figure out any way to work this without players union and a CBA.
#Mentally In Portal