FSU to the BIG???

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Oklahombre

FSU to the BIG???

Post by Oklahombre »

inconnu

Post by inconnu »

They looked at what the ACC did for them, with a down somewhat Clemson, Miami and Domer, FSU going undefeated and still not making the playoffs, could be an okay move...but I'm sure glad OU went SEC rather than to the BIG!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Wise Move...Thx Hombre'
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Interesting to see if the BI6 wants to be the B20. At 18 already next year, one has to guess FSU would need a partner. The big is likely all over ND to come in.

I like the SEC at 16, but with the little 12 now bigger and the ACC adding two Cali schools and SMU, it might be difficult to stay at 16.

On the other hand, SEC still commands football respect higher than the others. Odd though that this year's four will be two from the BIG and two from the SEC next year.
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Seems kinda sad to me.... Tallahassee is a natural geographic fit for the SEC.....just don't understand this direction at all. Guess if the SEC doesn't want you and the B1G does, not much else to say.
aka Crimson47
SoonerMike

Post by SoonerMike »

I wonder how they will handle what we've heard about giving up their TV money for several years to the conference? If it happens!!!
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I thought it was a 9 figure buyout of their GOR something like 140 million that was keeping the ACC teams from leaving the conference…. :confusedplus:
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

I'm sure the Big-10 and FSU are in discussion and looking at options.....just like OU and Texas were in the years prior their announcement they would join the SEC. The Big-10 wanted Texas but not OU. Yes, OU not being an AAU member school prevented OU and Texas moving the Big-10.

On that note, FSU is also not an AAU member school. Therefore, FSU to the Big-10 is not very likely, imo.

Of the Top-20 most valuable college football programs in 2022 (according to this article here), there are only three Top-20 programs not already within the SEC or Big-10: ND, Clemson and Florida St.

There is no question that the SEC is interested in Clemson and FSU (maybe Miami). How FSU and Clemson get to the SEC sooner rather than later, I do not know, but both of those programs are way more likely to join the SEC than the Big-10.

Also, there was mention in the article that the SEC is more interested in UVa and UNC. No way. TV viewership is driving realignment. Neither UVa or UNC are in the Top-40 in TV viewership average.
RussC

Post by RussC »

6 ACC schools rumored to follow FSU's footsteps in suing the conference to nullify $572 million GoR in pursuit of new home

Florida State lawsuit seeks overturn of ACC exit fees, grant of rights

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 008839007/
#Mentally In Portal
captnop

Post by captnop »

The problem is they are too late. Oregon and WSU went for partial shares, with no guarantee when they would get a 'Full' Share. When OU &UT/ USC&UCLA went it was peak tv money. Now all the media companies are pulling back . I found something online, book marked it and my laptop drive died. Basically the gist of it was that ESPN was going to focus on SEC, NFL NBA.. FOX B1G , NFL, NBA. Going forward SEC and B1G will get new higher contracts after the one starting in 25 ends, but not like before where it was doubling, modest increases. The OTHER conferences that are just filler for tv, will either be flat or get a haircut depending on cash flow and there's nothing they can do. FSU going to the B1G for a partial share does them no good at least money wise. They might even be worse off. I agree Clemson and FSU to SEC makes Football sense and puts the SEC at the same number of schools.. HOWEVER what we care about is what each school makes. Without looking at the $$$ each school brings in who knows. If FSU and Clemson go maybe that pushes ND to B1G ?? I keep hearing that the SEC wants NC, so if FSU goes to the B1G with ND, don't be surprised it NC and maybe Clemson end up in the SEC. I'm glad OU went when they did. The musical chair music is about to stop and I think several folks will be left without as good a seat as they gave up.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

I thought Florida said they would vote against FSU joining the SEC
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:21 pmI thought Florida said they would vote against FSU joining the SEC
Well, A&M thought that was how it worked, till it didn't. The article below came out a day after it was first reported that OU & TX were in talks with the SEC.

Former Texas A&M official: Texas, Oklahoma joining SEC would break 'gentlemen's agreement' among league schools
Dave Wilson, ESPN Staff Writer July 22, 2021,

If Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, it would break a long-standing "gentlemen's agreement" between SEC schools that gives conference members "absolute veto power" over the addition of another school from their state, according to a former Texas A&M official. R. Bowen Loftin, who helped steer the Aggies into the SEC in 2011 while serving as A&M's president, said the oft-discussed unwritten rule was a "specific conversation" during expansion talks in 2010-11 when he was involved. Loftin also served as chancellor at Missouri in 2014-15 after the Tigers made the move to the SEC. "There's this understanding among the membership -- at least it was 10 years ago -- that you don't admit a school from the same state as a member school unless that member school's OK with it," Loftin told ESPN.com on Thursday. "We talked about it from time to time among ourselves, that this was the way it was going to be, that if we had another school in Texas wanting to enter the SEC, Texas A&M would have veto power."

Loftin said the discussions happened while Mike Slive was commissioner. Loftin, who is retired and no longer involved in the discussions at A&M or Missouri, said he believes that current commissioner Greg Sankey, who was Slive's deputy before taking over as commissioner in 2015 when Slive retired, "has a really good long-range sense of the SEC." An SEC spokesman said the league had no comment on Loftin's comments on Thursday.

Three states -- Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee -- have two SEC schools each, but those date to the formation of the conference. In 1990, the league added Arkansas and South Carolina, both in states that did not have another SEC team. Loftin said the agreement prevented expansion discussion involving teams such as Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Miami, even when the league was targeting the ACC if 16-team superconferences came to pass in the last round of realignment. "We discussed those specific possibilities," Loftin said. "Florida State was never in the conversation, for obvious reasons. It was clear that they would not be admittable unless Florida wanted them included, and who could imagine that?"

Loftin said most expansion discussion centered on schools such as North Carolina, NC State, Virginia or Virginia Tech, all schools in states with no SEC members. "I can tell you that, during my time in the SEC from two different schools, that was the understanding we had," Loftin said. "It was unwritten. There's no specific rule you can point to. You can point to the bylaws, talk about having a three-quarters majority to admit a new school, which means four schools could stop it from happening legally and officially. But beyond that, there was this understanding."

Loftin said he and members of the A&M board of regents specifically discussed Texas' membership prospects during expansion talks with Slive, who was commissioner at the time. Slive died in 2018. "I can recall a meeting with the commissioner and a few of our regents that were with me, [Texas] came up in the conversation," Loftin said. "Mike assured us that they got what they wanted in Texas A&M because they got the Texas market, and they got a school which was very compatible with SEC schools."

Current Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork said Thursday that he will be "diligent in our approach to protect Texas A&M. We want to be the only SEC program in the state of Texas. There's a reason why Texas A&M left the Big 12 -- to be stand-alone, to have our own identity."

The Aggies and Longhorns obviously don't have a lot of love for each other over the past 125 years or so, but particularly since their breakup when A&M left the Big 12. "They left," former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds told the Daily Texan in 2013. "They're the ones that decided not to play us. We get to decide when we play again."

Loftin said he'd be surprised if that ends up being in the SEC. "There would be a lot of anger on the part of the Aggie community," he said. "It certainly is ironic -- and that's a very mild word for it -- after all of the verbiage directed against us trying to discourage us from [going to the SEC], and then beating on us after we did it, that really is interesting to have that school come back and say, 'Oh, we want to join you now.'"

And he found Texas' interest to be an about-face, particularly after having discussed realignment possibilities with his counterpart in Austin, Texas president Bill Powers, who died in 2019. "They have a very high opinion of themselves -- which is not surprising -- but not always justified. And that drives a lot of thinking there," Loftin said. "Bill Powers was very clear to me that they felt much more akin to the schools in the Big Ten and on the West Coast. He was very dismissive of the SEC because he felt academically it was an inferior conference. He's no longer around, I understand that. But the fit, culturally, of A&M and the SEC is very good. The fit of Texas is not. That's just plain and simple."

Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz, a relative newcomer to league drama in his second year as the Tigers' head coach, joked Thursday at SEC media days about the rumored interest of Texas and Oklahoma. "We're the best league in college football and everybody wants to play there, and now you've got two iconic brands that want to join too," he said. "It's an exclusive club and not everybody gets in, so good luck. Especially if A&M has anything to do with it."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ue-schools
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Triple Option wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:09 pm
AllSooner wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:21 pmI thought Florida said they would vote against FSU joining the SEC
Well, A&M thought that was how it worked, till it didn't. The article below came out a day after it was first reported that OU & TX were in talks with the SEC.
Yup, that's the way it is today. When Sankey took over, the "Gentleman's Agreement" went bye-bye. SEC Bylaw 3.1.2, which authorizes the Chief Executive Officers of the Conference to extend invitations for membership if at least three-fourths of its 14 member institutions vote to approve. The vote for OU and UT was 14-0. I'm sure Sankey was the driving force because he realizes that this all about money.

IF Florida truly didn't want FSU, (and the 3/4 stayed in affect) they would need to find at least 4 more SEC members to join them.....I don't see that happening.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

The real issue here is that FSU thinks laws and contracts should not apply to them. They feel they are special. They are assuming the role of victim since that works these days. The son of the POTUS doesn’t have to follow the laws such as paying Federal Income tax because he is a victim of drug usage, etc…i could go on but we all know society has devolved…..Oklahoma and Texass did it the right way followed the requirements in their contract with the Big 12 gave notice waited out the time periods etc……FSU wants to abrogate a valid contract they benefitted from since they may get more money elsewhere….well they wont get more money and the 12 team playoff insures that in a good year they are in the playoffs so there is not a reason there……

It is a knee jerk reaction to not being in the playoffs this year because the admin at FSU is a victim of the “i am a victim” mentality…..they think they were a victim of the playoff committee but they were not , FSU was not one of the 4 best…..FSU is not a victim of being in the ACC they have befitted for a long time and singed the contract they are in…..and the ACC expanded not too long ago….

FSU exploited being in the ACC for decades and at one time wanted the contract they signed :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...IF THEY THINK THEY'RE A VICTIM NOW...

wait until the Dawgs get through taking out their own frustrations on the semenholes.

Fla. St. will have only 1 scholly qb for the Bowl Game with GA. A true freshman.
Expect a massive beat down by Kirby's team. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice: