Transfer Portal News (Opens 4 Dec)

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

OU Guy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:10 pm
$o I mu$t $ay, after $eeing this, I am $hocked, ju$t $hocked, I tell you.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

OU Guy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:20 am Official now. Will tampering be investigated or naw?

Who is going to invstigate it? The NCAA? :D :D :D They have no jurisdiction over NIL, they haven't been consistent in their investigations in decades. I think the end result is that everyone on social media will laugh at all the butthurt OU fans, and nothing will change.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
Soonr80

Post by Soonr80 »

Any update on the Mich St Ol VanDeMark who was crystal balled to OU
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

To SMU

In Brent I Trust :D
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Bixby_Sooner wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:18 pm
OU Guy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:20 am Official now. Will tampering be investigated or naw?

Who is going to invstigate it? The NCAA? :D :D :D They have no jurisdiction over NIL, they haven't been consistent in their investigations in decades. I think the end result is that everyone on social media will laugh at all the butthurt OU fans, and nothing will change.
Hindsight being 20/20, the NCAA missed their opportunity when the SCOTUS ruled NIL as a "go". The NCAA should have grabbed this thing by the balls and established a pay scale for all players and made them employees of the university. According to Chip Kelly, they (powers to be) need to separate football from the rest of the sports and let the other sports stay with their respective conferences.....much like Notre Dame. As an example, UCLA softball needs to be playing Arizona not some team up in NYC. It may be too late for Chip's idea but something needs to get done with this fiasco before it really tears things apart.

Josh Pate covered Chip's idea here....
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

You are absolutley correct AllSooner.Imagine ,also all the monies that are wasted on these across the country match-ups that draw basically no fans so to speak.Makes you wonder if the well will rum dry someday?But something has to change.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

We Need This One !
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

AllSooner wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:46 pm
Bixby_Sooner wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:18 pm

Hindsight being 20/20, the NCAA missed their opportunity when the SCOTUS ruled NIL as a "go". The NCAA should have grabbed this thing by the balls and established a pay scale for all players and made them employees of the university. According to Chip Kelly, they (powers to be) need to separate football from the rest of the sports and let the other sports stay with their respective conferences.....much like Notre Dame. As an example, UCLA softball needs to be playing Arizona not some team up in NYC. It may be too late for Chip's idea but something needs to get done with this fiasco before it really tears things apart.

Josh Pate covered Chip's idea here....
The biggest challenge is SCOTUS did not put a cap on hiw much a player could make. Therein lies the question, NCAA was afraid to do anything and instead did nothing. They could have capped the transfers. Could have changed the portal dates to be after last bowl game. And many other things without capping money. But they did absolutely nothing and its a mess now.

What surprises me is the 90% of players who are getting nothing or just scraps did not form a union. The 10% can’t play without enough players. If players created a union then they could negotiate a system where all players get paid and amounts vary based on level.

So how do you get around if a player gets paid by NIL? Simple, by joining the union he agrees to tgeir terms and money beyind his cap is sent to be split by union players. That way SCOTUS is still intact yet players agree to a pay scale.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Sooners land another portal OL in North Texas transfer Febechi Nwaiwu.

Nwaiwu began his college career with Seth Littrell and joins OU as the Sooners embark on an offensive line rebuild for 2024.

OU adds another OLineman from the Transfer Portal...Febechi Nwaiwu, 6-foot-4, 316 pounds,

All-AAC Second-Team Offense, played for Seth Litrell at North Texas.
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I have heard that we need to get down to the 85 scholarship level. Currently, we are 14 over the limit, which means 14 will be losing their scholarships. How do these portal players fit with the 85 scholarship limit?
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

SwampSooner wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:39 pm I have heard that we need to get down to the 85 scholarship level. Currently, we are 14 over the limit, which means 14 will be losing their scholarships. How do these portal players fit with the 85 scholarship limit?
Good question. I don't believe that Brent doesn't have a plan.....we knew this day was coming after the COVID extensions came to an end. I'm sure some are going to come from attrition....graduation/NFL or the portal. To me it looks as though some of scholarships could be dropped and subsidized by NIL money. When you have a player pulling in a quarter of mil or more, why do they need a scholly?
captnop

Post by captnop »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we had what 12 guys leave through portal and at least that many are graduating/leaving early for NFL ? .. Not sure where your info comes from, but I don't see how. Also some of the kids like Andy Bass are not scholar ship, they are PWO and they get paid like everyone else.