Easy Question

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Easy Question

Post by WishBone »

How do you feel abot the State of College Football?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

WishBone wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:44 pm How do you feel abot the State of College Football?
I am not pleased.
You shall not pass
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...me neither. It's like there's some "perverse factor I'm being compelled to ignore for the "greater good" of collegiate football.
More like the "greater good" of the masters of the Universe.

This game I've loved since I was 8 years old has transformed into this American Corporate sports entity,

It's really just another indicator of the state of our culture and nation.

For me, the solution is simple and absolutely will not be allowed.

If your transfer is within the current conf. you play,...you sit out a year.

You have 5 years to play 4.

No more than 2 transfers by any one player is allowed in their 4/5 yr career.

THIS establishes a framework for a standard that even the BIG Money$$$ can't subvert.

EASILY LEGISLATED, EASILY ENFORCED.

Makes a currently untenable situation, manageable.

Still ugly,...but manageable IMO. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Men we got a ways to go but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ has proven once again to be the root of all Evil,Im afraid?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

CFB has lost its way….. partly professional paid players but still trying claim a collegiate alligance …..

Just have to change the rules.

1 one free transfer. Then if transfer again sit a year

2 NSD later after portal is closed for the year

3 coaches don’t get guaranteed contracts if fired or leave no more pay.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

WishBone wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:03 pm Men we got a ways to go but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ has proven once again to be the root of all Evil,Im afraid?

...MONEY isn't the root of all evil!

The Bible says "The LOVE of money... IS! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

Well college football has turned into minor league football. If there good it,s about money not education for the most part.The transfer thing is
Good in some ways, but bad in others ways. You can no longer plan on recruiting a player if he is any good for 4 years, unless his
Last name is Stoops. In fact he may be the last we see. I can,t see the smaller schools ever competing for a NC in the future. I
think those days are gone. I hope there not cutting there own throat when looking to the future. I can see the sport of college football
Losing it,s appeal unless something is not done to stop the madness.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

I am saddened by the direction the game is going.

I am all for paying players, but there has to be some kind of limit. Perhaps a salary cap or publishing how much each player gets. At least that will get us away from the hearsay and innuendo that inundates the sports media and polarizes the fans.

I would like to know how much DG is getting from Oregon. Is it $2 million as some outlets have posted and how much was he getting at Oklahoma? Was it only 0.5 million or $1 million? I've seen both.

They also need to enforce NIL onto the minor sports and if you don't fund the 15 or so other sports needed to participate in collegiate sports, you cannot play Div 1 football. All athletes or none.

Going a step further - allowing North Carolina to win the National Championship after making up classes so their B-Ball players can remain eligible was shameful and deserved the death penalty. But the almighty $$ protects them.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

This sucks and if continues down the current road my only question is will I end up a Hatvard Crimson fan? Ivy League is the last bastion of amateur sports .
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The turnover in the roster also makes "teaching a system" even tougher. Will a defensive coach ever have a two-deep depth chart with everyone KNOWING the system?

There is absolutely no reason for things to change. People are giving the money, willingly writing the checks. For all the wrong reasons.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

At this point, professional sports have more structure than the so-called amateur sports. If you sign a pro football or basketball player to a 3-year contract, you are fairly certain they will be there for 3 years barring injury or something outrageous. Not so in college sports.

You have to wonder if the NFL or NBA thinks this is good for them long-term. Do players who hop from team to team in college develop their skills as well as players who played for one or two teams? Will they be prepared to play out their contract instead of cutting and running the minute something doesn't go their way? The NFL has used college football for their farm system for decades but they have no real control over it, like baseball controls their farm team. Do they have influence? Do they care at all?

It will be interesting to see what this does to fan support in general. I can imagine 4 or 5 programs being able to maintain some stability and everyone else in a constant state of flux. That can't be good for the long term. Fans like to have some hope that their team will improve. Without that, the casual fan will lose interest.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

If CFB continues with rules as they are, CFB will end up like CBB where the basketball team is re-constructed each year….. :ou: :ou: :ou: :ou: :BV:
Last edited by Zgeo on Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Joel Klatt has some answers:

Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

What is the summary? I dont want to watch the video……
EMan

Post by EMan »

IMO, we're seeing some unintended consequences with the portal. Not that you needed to be a rocket scientist to see where this was headed. I believe the good intentions of the portal was to allow players that weren't starters or seeing the playing field enough to transfer to a place where they could see more action. I have no problem with that. But a blind man could see how star players could use this as leverage to gain more NIL money. The problem was that the NCAA wasn't smart enough to study the issue and realize some type of restriction would be needed to keep this from getting out of hand.

As I mentioned in another thread, it's a sad state of affairs when NFL teams have more stability with their players from one year to the next than college teams do. The current status of the sport is unrestricted free agency for every player, regardless of tenure, with no salary cap. No sport can survive that. It's just a matter of time before the house of cards crumbles and chaos ensues. I still love watching the Sooners, but admit it's lost some of its luster, which is really sad. Maybe losing some passion for things is a normal byproduct of seeing things change as we age. I don't know, but I definitely don't care for the current path college football is headed down. There's an inevitable train wreck coming.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!