Stutsman Staying!!!!

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

In Brent I Trust :D
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

And news gets better he’s playing in bowl game!!

OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

From his dad (we need more like him, he did a great job raising his son):

Shelstin

Post by Shelstin »

This is a clip that I truly enjoyed!! Boomer F%$#$@%G Sooner!!
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Check this short audio clip out from his dad about the instagram pic he posted earlier today that people took as he was going NFL. This is funny I bet they put it back faster than all getout!

Here’s the pic he posted earlier today with the sad face emoji:

captnop

Post by captnop »

You gotta feel better about 24 with Stutsman and Bowman back !!!!
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Danny Stutsman's decision 'came down to his heart,' father says after Brian Bosworth video announcement

Eric Bailey
Tulsa World Sports Writer

Dnny Stutsman's love for his Oklahoma teammates outweighed his NFL dreams, his father Steve Stutsman told the Tulsa World on Monday afternoon.

The All-American linebacker, who had an opportunity for early entry into the NFL and previously had let OU coaches know he was departing, announced his decision on social media.

"I'M NOT LEAVING" Stutman wrote on X (formerly known as Twitter) along with a video narrated by legendary linebacker Brian Bosworth.

Former OU All-American Brian Bosworth hugs Danny Stutsman after the Sooners' victory over Texas.

Steve Stutsman said his NFL draft grades came back favorably, but his fork-in-the-road moment pointed him toward Norman.

"It just came down to his heart," Steve Stutsman said. "Danny is a very loyal person and he just feels that he doesn't want to be sitting in camp and looking at guys that he came with and saying 'Man, I wish I was back there.'

"Coming back eliminates all of that. It helps OU get a nice head of steam in the SEC. He gets to further improve his skills. And he gets to hang out with his teammates, the coaches and the fans."

There was a head-scratching moment earlier on Monday when Danny Stutsman posted a picture on his Instagram story of his empty OU locker. Included was an emoji of a smile with a tear.

Many thought he'd cleared out his belongings and was leaving. But that was not the case.

"The equipment staff cleaned his locker. He was like 'What's going on?'" Steve Stutsman said. "The equipment staff said he hadn't taken part in the last two practices and they'd heard he was gone.

"He said 'the body isn't even cold and you're freakin' putting dirt on me.'"

When it blew up, Danny Stutsman could have cleared it up, but wanted to wait until his noon announcement to set the story straight.

When he did, he used a 65-second video featuring him and legendary OU linebacker Brian Bosworth, who narrated the piece.

The video itself is a perfect bridge between the linebackers. Bosworth greets Stutsman coming off a private plane and tosses him the keys to a white Corvette.

There were Easter eggs in the video.

During Bosworth's time at Oklahoma, Sports Illustrated featured an iconic portrait of Bosworth leaning against a white Corvette with a vanity plate reading "THE BOZ" on it.

Bosworth's narration: "In the world of football, there's a legacy that never dies. That legacy resides right here at the University of Oklahoma. It's time to continue the tradition. It's time to add another chapter to the legacy of linebackers who wore that crimson and cream. Now, it's your turn Danny Boy."

Stutsman then gets in the Corvette and drives away with "DANNYDEF" on a vanity plate.

Bosworth ends his speech at the same time saying "Sooner Nation, buckle up and enjoy the ride."

The video wasn't made recently. It was made weeks ago and was scheduled to be released when the Butkus Award semifinalist list was announced.

It was shelved when Stutsman didn't make the Butkus list. But worked perfectly with Monday's news, down to the fur coat worn by Stutsman.

The coat was borrowed from Barry Switzer. The OU coach had worn that same coat when he visited Bosworth in high school.

The 65-second video ends with a note saying "SEC, see you soon" with Danny Stutsman's autographed signature. That was the only edit to the video.

The decision itself was a back-and-forth process, Steve Stutsman said. But doing due diligence was important for the linebacker.

The family got plenty of advice from both its own people and OU. The news was always favorable in terms of early departure to the NFL.

But his heart kept tugging him back to OU.

The father and son had daily discussions.

"I told him you have to go with your heart," Steve Stutsman said. "The money is going to be there. The NFL will be there. Once you leave Oklahoma, you can't come back. I didn't want him to have any regrets."

Earlier this month, the reports came out that he was headed to the NFL.

"He did meet with Venables and he did tell them he was going to the NFL. That was his plan, but plans change," Steve Stutsman said.

Steve Stutsman didn't release the NFL draft grades to the Tulsa World, but said they were "highly favorable." He added that the Stutsman camp had a little higher numbers, but OU also had strong numbers.

It's been an emotional few days for Steve Stutsman, as it would be with any father looking out for his son. Danny Stutsman likely will be available during a planned interview session on Tuesday, but there's a reason his dad is talking to the media on Monday with 24 hours separating the news and a player interview.

"I want everyone to understand where his decision is," Steve Stutsman said. "He's doing this for his teammates, coaches and fans. Make no mistake about it."
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

The Alamo bowl is shaping up to be a big Sooners win…. Stutsman back says AZ is shut down…Bowman is back says defense scores 6 point…JA as QB says long bombs every possession……
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Ahhhhhhh! Just made my day!!!!
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Why Danny Stutsman 'Wasn't Ready' to Leave Oklahoma for the NFL Draft Ryan Chapman 12/12/23

NORMAN — Major life decisions are never easy. Danny Stutsman knows that firsthand. The Oklahoma linebacker who has grown into the centerpiece of Brent Venables’ defense went through the ringer this past week, initially deciding to forego his senior season to head to the 2024 NFL Draft before having a change of heart to ultimately return to Norman. “It was a headache, man,” Stutsman said after OU’s practice on Tuesday. “It was probably one of the most stressful weeks of my life.”

After totaling 99 tackles, including 16 tackles for loss and three sacks, two forced fumbles and a pick six in 2023, Stutsman was confident in his pro prospects. He even told Venables as much. But the Oklahoma coach wouldn’t let Stutsman go without one last pitch. “They already cleaned out my locker; everything was ready to go, and Coach V called me on Friday,” Stutsman said. “Really just sat down, talked it through with him again. Like I said before, I just didn’t feel like I was ready to leave yet. Didn’t want to rush that. You never have this time to go back to college, and I really just wanted to finish out my senior year and everything that comes with that.”

Stutsman mulled it over, and realized his heart was with playing one more year in Norman. “I mean, why not, man? It’s Oklahoma, man,” Stutsman said. “It’s where I’ve been my whole career. It’s a place I love. Obviously, this was a very tough decision. I think the heart wanted to stay here. At the end of the day, you can’t turn that down. When it was time for pen to go to paper, it just didn’t feel right. I wasn’t ready to leave this program, all that we’ve built going into Year 3 with Coach Venables; I wasn’t ready to leave just yet.”

Oklahoma will not only get its leading linebacker back for 2024, but star safety Billy Bowman. Bowman announced his return, as well as his excitement to play in the SEC, Friday evening. The return of Bowman was a factor Stutsman said also played into his decision. “Two-hundred percent. Me and Billy came in here together,” Stutsman said. “We’ve done everything together. We really tried to build this defense together. When he came, said he was coming back, we were talking right after the TCU game. Everything that we’ve done, we wanted to do it together. You know, when I kind of wanted to leave, and he said he was staying, yes, it did sway my decision for sure.”

Once the decision was made, Stutsman got to repurpose a video he had already shot with legendary OU linebacker Brian Bosworth to announce his final decision. “That video was in the works for a while,” Stutsman said. “It was going to be a late-season Butkus campaign, but obviously we had to reuse some footage, so we took advantage of that. For everyone that was saying I took the weekend to shoot that video is not true. The weekend was very tough for me. I was kind of locked up in my room, had the phone down, just thinking and praying. Boz has been amazing, man. For him to go out, we shot that video, it was a great experience.”

The news of his return resonated throughout the locker room, though even Stutsman’s teammates didn’t know for sure if he’d be staying one more year at Oklahoma or headed to the NFL. “That was pretty cool,” OU defensive back Gentry Williams said. “I had took a nap, I woke up and then it was like ‘I’m not leaving.’ I was like, ‘woah,’ cuz, you know, like we all thought, you know, just like you guys, that he was, you know, taking that next level, but he decided to come back and that was pretty cool, you know? That was pretty cool.”

At the end of the day, the pull of the relationships Stutsman has built over the last three years in Norman won the day. He’s thrilled for the opportunity to play in the SEC next year and to spearhead another step forward for OU’s defense. In the end, it was Stutsman’s close bond with Venables that played a major role in keeping him at Oklahoma for one final ride. “Coach V’s invested so much into me,” Stutsman said. “He’s given me so much. I think it’s the least I could do to come back for one more season.”

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/foo ... -nfl-draft
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

^^^ great article thanks for posting!

Something else, we are going to have many changes in our roster. Stuts is not only a leader on defense he’s leader in the locker room. He will get the new players motivated and help their transition.

And having such a leader will be important next year. We will face some obstacles and most likely some tough losses - and having him year 1 will help stabilize the team so one loss doesn’t turn into two.

Billy Bowman too. Downs as well. Our D has some leaders.

1 minute video of Danny

Billys dad

A cool pic from a OU production member

Eric Bailey
@EricBaileyTW
·11h

Love this pic. Erica is one of the top behind-the-scenes people working with #Sooners football. Great person.

Erica thanking Eric:

Erica Slife
@etrain_OU

Thanks Eric! Takes a team behind the team and we have the best.

And she posted the production team
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

lol......Bowman's comment made me chuckle a little bit.
He's not in any rush because Jayda's not going anywhere. She wants her 4th Natty Ring!
aka Crimson47