My ChallengeTo You ST Member

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I believe that lately there are young people that are actually able to make quite a bit of money from chatting about OU football on YouTube. Ten to 15 years ago, that person likely would have been active on a board such as this one, creating written content for free.
#Mentally In Portal
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I want to disagree that ST has gone stale. I joined this site in 2016 and I agree it has changed. Many of the old timers have disappeared, but we now have many posters that replaced them. I like what Walt used to say..We aren't the biggest message board but we have the best content posted...or something like that. I don't think that has changed and I visit several OU message boards a day.

If you disagree just visit the softball board. It's slow now, but the content that is posted on that board is second to none. I think Guy started posting recruiting info on the main board because he felt like he would get more views on all the hard work he puts in, but I'll let him address it if he feels like it. I know I will read what he posts whether he posts them on the recruiting board or here on the main one.

Back to the time I joined...I remember we had very few posts in the evening. I guess many went to bed early in those days. :dude: We now have several threads starting after the sun goes down. I would love to see many old timers return. I miss 47 Straight. He was the dominate poster in those days. Also Crint and Army and others and hope they are well.

Be ready for a major slow down this summer and that goes for all message boards. JMO

:ou: :BV:
:ou: :BV:
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU_Tom wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:26 pm
WishBone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:34 am One simple solution would be to Get back to the old way and post all recruiting info on the recruiting forum.It allows other posters to post more lengthy info without being bombarded with Tweet after Tweet.Just a Suggestion?........................Hello Management?
Keeping the portal/recruiting threads in the OU Football Recruiting forum seems like a reasonable suggestion to me

OU Guy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:39 pm.
But I try and create threads and label them too, so you can skip if not interested. I have a 24/25/26 HS thread to show our future players. Some like it some may not its easy to skip. Same for many threads, I actually try to organize the ones I make so a lot can go in them. I have a baseball thread with all the commits info and other related baseball stuff. Could have been 50 different threads but I put it all in one. And so on. I do this to help and ID topic thread so if you don’t like it you can skip it.
Would you be okay if we move these longer recruiting/portal threads over to the OU Football Recruiting forum?
Tom, the board can do whatever it wants. I likely won’t post in that section because no one reads or responds to it. Once bowl games are over there is a lot less posts on main board. I spent a ton a time updating the recruiting board and it was a ready reference to look back at each recruit. But then those posts vanished forever and all that work was lost. I know you changed the settings but it just wasn’t worth trying to reconstitute them.

I personally don’t understand the consternation with recruit related threads on football board. I did a quick check of page 1 football board and see 29 topics. Of those lets see what we have:

One thread last posted in on Dec 7 ( today is 10th)

Of my related recruit/commit/portal threads:

One Transfer portal general thread

One Dec/Jan recruit thread

One 24/25/26 HS player thread (commits)

One portal gains inbound thread

So, 4 mega threads out of 29 threads. It makes no sense to me what the problem is. It can’t be too many threads. It can’t be knocking threads off main page (since oldest is 3 days ago). What is it? All it would do is make page one even older.

Again, it just seems some posters do not want “my”threads on the football board. Thats fine, and its not my call I only try to brimg info that can help show whats going on. I have tried hard to make mega threads so as to not knock other threads off the main page. I go overboard to try and find an existing thread when I post information instead of starting new ones.

But if the board wants to have a very innactive page 1 thats their call. But there would be no readon for me to repeat effort that people would not use. Lets face it, most do not go to other boards. Softball and football are the big ones. I feel torn in the middle and do not want to be the topic either. A bunch like it and others don’t. Trying to please all is impossible, so I can only offer my opinion.

And keep in mind, portals out and in will be over within a month once window closes so those will slide off page one. And HS games are mostly over so the 24/25/26 will slide down too. And a lot of posters will post way less in off season as happens on every board. So Feb to summer will slow down a ton. And then somome will ask why the board is so slow.

I really don’t want anything to do with the decision and will let the board decide. I only meant well but some likely see my name too much due to volume of posts and don’t like it which is fine.

I do hope the board looks into archiving certain threads and even create some others as Chanaman suggested. I see baseball was created so that mega commit thread I made will be handy in the late winter as baseball ramps up. Thanks for making that one.

No matter wnat I say or do I can’t win. At some point you and those in charge will need to make a decision. But to reiterate, when the oldest post on oage one is 3 days old, how can anyone claim good discussion is pushed off page one? They can’t, they just don’t like me posting so much because the original board didn’t have that feature. But no one is being stopped from making a discussion thread and it is not being pushed off.

I’ll keep doing want I’m doing until I’m told not to or my threads are not welcomed. I like the posters here so hope we can all get past this. We’ve made a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. I’d like to see how my threads have hurt any other thread. Look at the dates of posts in those bottom 5 threads, all are 2 to 3 days old. I can’t get past that.

This will be my last comments in this thread. Will respect what the board leadership decides. No hard feelings.
In Brent I Trust :D
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:46 pm
WishBone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:34 am One simple solution would be to Get back to the old way and post all recruiting info on the recruiting forum.It allows other posters to post more lengthy info without being bombarded with Tweet after Tweet.Just a Suggestion?........................Hello Management?
Keeping the portal/recruiting threads in the OU Football Recruiting forum seems like a reasonable suggestion to me

But I try and create threads and label them too, so you can skip if not interested. I have a 24/25/26 HS thread to show our future players. Some like it some may not its easy to skip. Same for many threads, I actually try to organize the ones I make so a lot can go in them. I have a baseball thread with all the commits info and other related baseball stuff. Could have been 50 different threads but I put it all in one. And so on. I do this to help and ID topic thread so if you don’t like it you can skip it.
Would you be okay if we move these longer recruiting/portal threads over to the OU Football Recruiting forum?
Tom, the board can do whatever it wants. I likely won’t post in that section because no one reads or responds to it. Once bowl games are over there is a lot less posts on main board. I spent a ton a time updating the recruiting board and it was a ready reference to look back at each recruit. But then those posts vanished forever and all that work was lost. I know you changed the settings but it just wasn’t worth trying to reconstitute them.

I personally don’t understand the consternation with recruit related threads on football board. I did a quick check of page 1 football board and see 29 topics. Of those lets see what we have:

So, 4 mega threads out of 29 threads. It makes no sense to me what the problem is. It can’t be too many threads. It can’t be knocking threads off main page (since oldest is 3 days ago). What is it? All it would do is make page one even older.

Again, it just seems some posters do not want “my”threads on the football board. Thats fine, and its not my call I only try to brimg info that can help show whats going on. I have tried hard to make mega threads so as to not knock other threads off the main page. I go overboard to try and find an existing thread when I post information instead of starting new ones.

But if the board wants to have a very innactive page 1 thats their call. But there would be no readon for me to repeat effort that people would not use. Lets face it, most do not go to other boards. Softball and football are the big ones. I feel torn in the middle and do not want to be the topic either. A bunch like it and others don’t. Trying to please all is impossible, so I can only offer my opinion.

And keep in mind, portals out and in will be over within a month once window closes so those will slide off page one. And HS games are mostly over so the 24/25/26 will slide down too. And a lot of posters will post way less in off season as happens on every board. So Feb to summer will slow down a ton. And then somome will ask why the board is so slow.

I really don’t want anything to do with the decision and will let the board decide. I only meant well but some likely see my name too much due to volume of posts and don’t like it which is fine.

I do hope the board looks into archiving certain threads and even create some others as Chanaman suggested. I see baseball was created so that mega commit thread I made will be handy in the late winter as baseball ramps up. Thanks for making that one.

No matter wnat I say or do I can’t win. At some point you and those in charge will need to make a decision. But to reiterate, when the oldest post on oage one is 3 days old, how can anyone claim good discussion is pushed off page one? They can’t, they just don’t like me posting so much because the original board didn’t have that feature. But no one is being stopped from making a discussion thread and it is not being pushed off.

I’ll keep doing want I’m doing until I’m told not to or my threads are not welcomed. I like the posters here so hope we can all get past this. We’ve made a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. I’d like to see how my threads have hurt any other thread. Look at the dates of posts in those bottom 5 threads, all are 2 to 3 days old. I can’t get past that.

This will be my last comments in this thread. Will respect what the board leadership decides. No hard feelings.
What he said.
You shall not pass
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

RussC wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:09 pm I believe that lately there are young people that are actually able to make quite a bit of money from chatting about OU football on YouTube. Ten to 15 years ago, that person likely would have been active on a board such as this one, creating written content for free.
That never crossed my mind, but by jove, I think you have something there.
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

OU Guy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:46 pm

I don't post much but read every day. You keep doing what you are doing. It's great information for everyone.
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Well this got people fired up. BTW, Go Army
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
OUGENO

Post by OUGENO »

I like the board now and the way it has always been. I see no reason to change it.
walt

Post by walt »

When this new board was initially set up, it intended to have the OU Men's forum just as it had been going back to the 1990s with some additional forums.

This new software's recruiting forum was intended to be strictly OU football recruiting.

Then, we intended to have forums specific to Women's sports. The thought was that OU women's softball, basketball, and other women's sports could be set up.

The history of soonertimes.com was that the OU Men's forum was always the forum with the most threads relative to issues such as information and football. Stories, etc, and other items close to football. When OU men's basketball was in season or any time, this was where matters were relative to OU men's basketball.

I have a lot of history here, and the OU Men's Sports was always the most prolific forum, and it was always packed with sports posts.

We went off kilter when the OU football recruiting information began to be posted on the OU Men's Sports Forum. I also think that when the recruiting spilled over to the OU Men's Sports forum. We have slowly lost many of our regular football and related posts. I also know as a fact that we have also lost many of our most prolific posters. I knew all of these most prolific posters.

If we don't return to our roots, we will lose additional members, and our old regular posts will continue disappearing.

Moving the recruiting information to the original intended OU football recruiting forum would be beneficial. In addition, I think that there are way too many duplicate posts—posts of the same tweets. I have gone through some of these recruiting threads that grew from a few of those tweets and posts, where some of these threads have grown to 12 or more pages. I read one of the posts about an OL recruit where the original post was duplicated, and I just killed the thread.

I have read some of the recent posts/threads on this issue. Separating the OU Men's sports from the recruiting forum would make it harder to read the recruiting. I think it would actually make the recruiting forum better and easier to read.

I do believe that these issues can be fixed as long as we don't create anger or fail to be positive and ways to fix what we have now.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
Fly

Post by Fly »

Some great points have been made. But I liked hearing from bow Hunter for one. I met him at our ole Lake Tenkiller get together
years back. Members like him, my ole friend Sooner Lynx, Eco, ect, still come and view the site, as play E -Man’s pickup contest.
They just do not post as much as they once did. As said above times have changed, but with that said, we maybe not the biggest,
but quality does not always come with quantity. Oh sure It will slow down after football comes to a close, as it always has. That’s
What I must thank OU Guy about. He keeps things going in the off times. We are fine, ( Don,t Worry, Be Happy) 🤗😀😁🤪

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Sooner42

Post by Sooner42 »

Granted I do not post often. Is there a way a moderator has the ability to kill a duplicate? I’m an admin on a FB page (I know the horror) but I go thru daily deleting spam and duplicate posts. When I go through to get rid of duplicate post, I delete my post first if I find someone else posts the same. I want to give everybody the page to be involved not just my name on every article post it. I also have have the ability to stop commenting, delete comments or delete if things go south on a post. I am NOT pushing Facebook on this page. I love this page I came upon this page looking for softball information 10 years ago (not sure since the old site is gone). Just my 2 cents
StatesEye

Post by StatesEye »

walt wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:46 am Moving the recruiting information to the original intended OU football recruiting forum would be beneficial. In addition, I think that there are way too many duplicate posts—posts of the same tweets. I have gone through some of these recruiting threads that grew from a few of those tweets and posts, where some of these threads have grown to 12 or more pages. I read one of the posts about an OL recruit where the original post was duplicated, and I just killed the thread.

I have read some of the recent posts/threads on this issue. Separating the OU Men's sports from the recruiting forum would make it harder to read the recruiting. I think it would actually make the recruiting forum better and easier to read.

I do believe that these issues can be fixed as long as we don't create anger or fail to be positive and ways to fix what we have now.
Taking Chinaman's example and thinking more upon this issue, moving the recruiting threads from the main OU Men's Sports forum to the Recruiting/Portal Information sub-forum Tom has set up is a good idea. From the OU Men's Sports forum, it's just as easy to enter the new sub-forum as opening any other thread.

Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

It doesn't matter a lot to me if the recruiting threads are on the main board or not. I think people will click on them or not depending on how much they like to follow the ins and outs of recruiting.

In my opinion, the bigger issue is that, perhaps partly because OUGuy has posted so regularly, that many of the rest of us have gotten kind of lazy, and been too content to sit back and let him carry the load. In the original post, Wishbone challenged us all to post more credible football content. It seems to me this is a separate thing from how many X (twitter) links are posted or where the recruiting threads are located. Frankly, if you move the recruiting threads, there wouldn't be much on the main board sometimes unless some of us start posting more. I know for myself, there are times I read a good article, and think about posting it, and think, oh that will take too long, and everybody else probably links to the same Sooner news sites I do, etc. And so I don't do it.

So, with that in mind, I started a new thread titled "Nuances in the modern passing game." It's not about OU, but it's an interesting mini-tutorial on how receivers adjust their routes mid-play based on what the defender is doing, and how they have to be on the same page as the QB for the play to work. And yes, it's a twitter thing, because that's where the video is hosted. I found it fascinating.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins