My ChallengeTo You ST Member

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

My ChallengeTo You ST Member

Post by WishBone »

ST Followers:
I have a personal challenge for all members on this Forum.First and Foremost I have spoken to several others and these thoughts are mine and nobody elses,although we did discuss these things in depth.I am challenging all members to post some credible Sooner Football content.Im no talking about the new fan Favorite(Copy and Post Twitter)(me too).Its not to hard to open Twitter and C & P....you get the point.So.....what brought this post on you say?As previously stated After conversing with others one common theme kept bein mentioned" over the last course of a year, to 18 months this board has become increasingly stale.We have lost a lost of our quality posters some unhappy and some have been pushed away for aofrementioned reasons.This may hurt some feelings but they will get over it.I used to enjoy getting on here and conversing with some good knowledable posting Fans but the content has dissappearred.We have "Lots" of Fans on SoonerTimes that Open up Loud and Clear when
a) SoonersLose
b)Position Player is Struggling
c) Coaching decisions
d)Refreeing decisions
e)Clock Managemen
f)etc
but nobody wants to offer good content anymore.Do we just keep losing good posters?
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...THIS! 100%

Nothing against social media per se, but there seems to have been a steady increase in the amount of TwitterX copy & paste and a steady decrease in members actually writing original thoughts/opinions/relevant polls/ etc.
I think discussion (even if its contentious) can "build" camaraderie & provide insight and angles one may not have considered before exchange on the MB.

There are some excellent writers on ST. (Though fewer than there used to be.)
I consider the ST members some of the most informed, devoted and dedicated, OKLAHOMA Football Fans out there in cyber space.
I like to know where my peers stand. I enjoy reading a well written thoughtful post. I enjoy some good natured ribbing and humor too.
Even disagreements can be productive, unless they devolve into personal insult.

Had lunch with Walt & Claire yesterday, (Clark's Crew BBQ) and one of the topics we discussed was the state of the ST MB.

Think you're onto something here 'Bone! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

I find myself slowly staying in the gallery, so to say, than joining in the show. I still try to post a couple of times a day. I wasn't one of the people you discussed this with, WB but I get your drift.

For example, I could post that Billy Bowman has decided to return, but I know if I wait a few minutes it will show up. (Hopefully not in one of the mega-threads).

The only way to put an end to it is for everyone to start posting again. JMO
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

It appears this thread is a vealed pointer at me and thats fine.

I would love to see more comment posts but after season this board is mostly dead. So I post a lot of OU related content and at any time someone can make comments but rarely do. Then during season complaints increase about posts. Then back to slow again.

Recently posts were made in a DG thread and the Gamethreads later part of season. Complaining about posters having “opinions” about players. Then fingers pointed my way saying I’m a DG hater because of “opinions”. And then it went sideways.

We want more written opinion posts yet we complain when opinion is given. A bit confusing. No one is stopping anyone from posting. The social media aree all OU football related, something we never used to have. Had to wait for publications or articles. No looking up info. So it was purely speculative discussion.

I’ll stop posting social media for the next week. And hope people post discussion topics.

And lets not blast posters for opinions and everything should be fine. I do not want to post stuff people don’t want thats for sure. It takes time to do so and my intent was to enhance information not detract from discussion.

But we must stop labeling posters as haters or complainers when they offer an opinion about a player. That really did happen to me and a few posters have put me on their naughty list.
In Brent I Trust :D
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

I don't understand what you are asking and I agree with OU Guy. It seems like this is a personal attack and not sure that it is appropriate. I think you need to take personal digs into PMs and not air dirty laundry, if this is what it is.

This is not supposed to be a sunshine pumper board, instead one about OU football, which comes with the bad and the good. We may have disagreements but that is what is nice to see, different perspectives.
You shall not pass
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:35 pm I’ll stop posting social media for the next week. And hope people post discussion topics.
I hope you don't, this is how I get 99% of my info. I am not a SM guy so I don't have access other than your posts. Keep them coming.
You shall not pass
Fly

Post by Fly »

I,m not a member of Twitter & never have been. So I don,t know much about what goes on there. I try & stay positive even throw I
may not agree with some. That the only way to get along on message boards. I have said many times in the past I love discussion but
but refuse to argue, for that serves no purpose. Discussion if kept civil can be very enlightening. We may be at odds in our opinions, but
that is nature of opinion can be thought provoking. Sometimes it may even change yours in agreement. But if not in the end we all have
the right to our own. The problem in communicating over the internet, is this. When we discuss something person to person, we forget
We communicate with the tone of our voice as with face expression more than we do with words. Over the net many times what you
read is very easy to interpret in the wrong way. People will up & leave at some thing you might have said in jest, not in a disrespect.
Guys think about that in the future. We have all been guilty of that from time to time.

JMOHOP 🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
Fly

Post by Fly »

OUGuy chill, I agree I love the stuff you post, I have no problem. Be your self my man!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
pippen

Post by pippen »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:48 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:35 pm I’ll stop posting social media for the next week. And hope people post discussion topics.
I hope you don't, this is how I get 99% of my info. I am not a SM guy so I don't have access other than your posts. Keep them coming.
What Gandalf said. Yeah, I'm old and technologically challenged - what of it?
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Biggest recruiting win of the season may turn out to be BB deciding to return for another year.
“Come now, let us reason together “
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:48 pm
OUGuy, I'll be a 3rd to say I appreciate all of your posts. I come to ST as my first stop for Sooner news, and 75% of the time it is some news that you have linked to.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

From my lowly loft, I don't see anything to discuss. All we have is speculations and X stuff at the present. I cast my vote with OU Guy and others that want to post X stuff or articles written by others.....their desire to "inform" makes it easier on old farts like me. Using "OU Guy" as the placeholder for all who post "links", it is my belief that they do a mental shuffle of those articles and only post those that they believe others will be interested in (i.e. it's not a "get my post count up" thing). I sincerely appreciate everyone's efforts to scour the internet for information. In depth discussions will come about when the team is on the field and the topic is of interest.

Wishbone, I'm not sure what you're getting at with "We have lost a lost of our quality posters some unhappy and some have been pushed away for aofrementioned reasons." Were they wanting to discuss things in depth but the thread was overtaken by others? If the ones that want to discuss things in depth are leaving, they may be the very reason no one is discussing things in depth......they are all leaving. Even though I don't participate in those "in depth" discussions, I gain a lot from just be in the gallery. I admire those that have the knowledge to make "in depth" observations.....just don't expect me to be one.

Basically, my shallow mind set hasn't grasped the full intent of your post. Sorry!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:35 pm It appears this thread is a vealed pointer at me and thats fine.

I would love to see more comment posts but after season this board is mostly dead. So I post a lot of OU related content and at any time someone can make comments but rarely do. Then during season complaints increase about posts. Then back to slow again.

Recently posts were made in a DG thread and the Gamethreads later part of season. Complaining about posters having “opinions” about players. Then fingers pointed my way saying I’m a DG hater because of “opinions”. And then it went sideways.

We want more written opinion posts yet we complain when opinion is given. A bit confusing. No one is stopping anyone from posting. The social media aree all OU football related, something we never used to have. Had to wait for publications or articles. No looking up info. So it was purely speculative discussion.

I’ll stop posting social media for the next week. And hope people post discussion topics.

And lets not blast posters for opinions and everything should be fine. I do not want to post stuff people don’t want thats for sure. It takes time to do so and my intent was to enhance information not detract from discussion.

But we must stop labeling posters as haters or complainers when they offer an opinion about a player. That really did happen to me and a few posters have put me on their naughty list.
...It appears this thread is a veiled pointer at me and that's fine.

I can understand you perceiving it as such, but no, it's a legitimate effort to stimulate people to post more.
Hopefully get some who have taken seats in the gallery, ('hombre) to get back in the MB game and maybe draw out some of the lurkers too.

OU GUY, I personally have no beef with you.
In fact, I was one of your biggest defenders in the johnnytrey23 "bane" situation.
I've said it before, I'm not a recruiting aficianado, but everything I do know about it I learn right here from info you post.
I'm both grateful and appreciative of your efforts

You've posted yourself OUG, that the fans had been "overly critical" of Dillon Gabriel. IMO, and I qualify it as exactly that,...YOU were one of those.
Never "attacked" you or personally "insulted" you...I DID however vehemently disagree with what seemed to me to be continued repetitiveness.

"But we must stop labeling posters as "haters" or "complainers" when they offer an opinion about a player.

mmmkay...well show me where somebody called you or "labelled" you a hater!
Maybe I missed it.
I do think, again IMO, that your complaints about DG were excessive

That really did happen to me and a few posters have put me on their naughty list.
Naughty list?
Not following you here.

I may be starting to look like Santa Claus, but I ain't him. :D
Speaking only for myself, I don't have a "naughty" list. (Or a "nice' one)

I've moderated (and said so right here more than once) my position on arguing with the critics, skeptics, and cynics. The chinamen.
Anybody can post anything they want, anytime.
Think some people need to vent their heart-felt frustrations.
Think it provides a psychological tool to deal with those stressful game situations.

I'd also like to remind members, when you know you're throwing out a post some might disagree or take issue with USE THE OLD ACRONYM,...IMO.
It's like an automatic disclaimer. You are disarming any potential negative comeback by asserting it's your opinion.
It lessens any obvious intent to provoke, or appear over-bearing.

Finally,...SVT/OU Guy...don't take yourself so damn serious. Lighten up a bit.
You may feel like a victim...you may feel like you're being persecuted...just know I don't think that's the case.

(By the way...it's 10-zip ARMY! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:

:
walt

Post by walt »

First, I have been a part of soonertimes.com for some 30 years. Any comments I will post on this thread will not be directed to any board member.

I am posting on this thread because I agree with WishBone's comments and those of the Chinaman about the boring and stale board for a couple of years. The history of soonertimes.com has been successful because of its members. We had an immaculate board and many members who were highly knowledgeable about the game of football, especially about football. Back in the day, we had great posts that resulted in many members commenting with good thoughts about the plays and everything else about OU football. Over the years, we have had some members leave, and new ones come in and bring lots of good posts.

The Chinaman, Claire, and I spent close to an hour about some of the issues of some of our best members who were prolific posters and wrote great posts. The three of us discussed the loss of several better writers who have left the board over the last few years. We also discussed that we seem to have a large number of threads where some of the posts on these threads were multiple posts of identical posts. There is no need to make duplicate posts over and over. Getting rid of the numerous similar posts would help clean up the threads that would prevent them from going through long threads to get to the new posts. This morning I exchanged emails about his reason for leaving this board. I won't give his name here, but he was one of our prolific posters. His work was always highly read, and he brought in many excellent comments on his posts. We have quite a few like this friend of mine who have also left this board.

The Chinaman also brought up the issue of the discussion of opinions being necessary as the debate is the guts of soonertimes.com. Our long history has always been important, ensuring that discussion was friendly and civil, allowing everyone to raise their thoughts, etc.

I appreciate WishBone and the Chinaman for bringing these issues to this board.

I hope everyone here on this board expresses their ideas about how we can get this board back on track.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

walt wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:55 pm I hope everyone here on this board expresses their ideas about how we can get this board back on track.
Walt and all

I think threads like this one are what takes the board off track. This one was started and has been used to point out dislikes of posts and what is there to gain? This doesn't get the board back on track but instead divides it. If you don't like someone's post, skip over it.

What did WB and CM hope to gain by the posts in this thread other than to anger people? It has been very clear the last few days that WB has some issue with OUG and I don't know why, but freaking let it go and talk OU football. Now we are subtly starting a thread basically pointing the finger at OUG. WT heck is the hope to accomplish?

I have said more than once that we need a new kicker, yet no one seemed to disagree with that position. Yet someone or two get mad because others have concerns with the QB and now they are OU and QB haters? If someone disagrees, state your case and don't take it personal. Gabriel is gone, get over it and stop :deadhorse:

By they way, Navy just scored and it is 10-3.
You shall not pass