Crazy portal question- not OU specific

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Gandalf

Crazy portal question- not OU specific

Post by Gandalf »

Do you all think that at some point, perhaps smaller schools stop high school recruiting all together? Except maybe a few here or there?

I would think the portal would be a gold mine for the Tulsa, Arkie State, New Mexico teams of the league. Could they stock their team solely from the portal?

Is this too crazy of a thought?
You shall not pass
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

Not as crazy as one may think. There will be several players forced into the portal that are passed over by the bigger schools that will want a 2nd chance somewhere. No NIL but perhaps a scholarship would be available for them.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

A lot of portal guys are looking for $ or to upgrade to a better school dom't see how that benefits lower tier teams .Seems to me they would get dregs just like they do in hs recruiting Just my 2 cents .
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Not crazy at all…… there are very good players not getting any meaningful playing time on good team that can walk right into another school and start and get whatever deal that school has as far as nil…. Just look at our RB room 4 star guys i think 3 of them into the portal and they will all be picked up and start somewhere else ………
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

Overall, it seems to me that the small college football programs lose more from the portal than they gain.

Those that get an under-the-radar HS kid that breaks out would tend to lose him. The replacements from the P5 programs might be 5*s but guys that have failed and been processed. With portal guys, the schools will have 1 or 2 years to get them to surprise with their play. HS kids give them 4 years to become good players.
texsa sucks!
Rough Rider

Post by Rough Rider »

I kind of think of it the other way. With the portal, if you're a major brand, why would you sign ANY high schooler who wasn't 5* caliber, or at least 5* caliber per your own talent observation? Take THOSE players from high school. Take the rest from the portal... the 5*s that don't fit where they went, the 4*s that need another look after a year or two of development at a lower level school, and the 3*s that have developed a year or two at another school and fill a need.
Poster formerly known as tbmguy