Dillon to transfer pool

MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Pokerman wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:51 pm
MsProudSooner wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:26 pm DG will always be one of my favorite OU QBs. He came here sight unseen, not knowing who he would have to throw to. We would have been in a world of hurt if he hadn't taken a chance on OU. Too many OU fans didn't appreciate him, but what else is new? He's a class act in every sense of the word. Good luck to him!
MsProudSooner, I concur with your assessment of DG. However, I don't think you're quite reading the reaction of many of us correctly. As much as we appreciate his contribution to the program, we all knew he wouldn't be here long and was not going to be the future of the program. Most of us are really anxious to get a glimpse of that future - likely with Jackson Arnold, although I'm pumped about Hawkins and Sperry too.

Frankly, my greatest trepidation is about the defense and what the future holds there. The defense was impressive in spots, but overall was disappointing - less disappointing than last year, but still not up to expectations. I'm hoping Ted Roof retires and that side of the coaching staff is firmed up and improved.
I've been around long enough that I heard OU fans boo Steve Davis in the only game he lost at OU. I don't think most of the people on this board fall into that category but OU fans like that still exist.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...THOSE sort of fans have always been here,...probably always will be.

They were termed "Chinamen" a long time ago. :cool:

As in...HOW MUCH RICE CAN A CHINAMAN EAT?

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

MsProudSooner wrote: ↑Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:33 am
Pokerman wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:51 pm
MsProudSooner wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:26 pm DG will always be one of my favorite OU QBs. He came here sight unseen, not knowing who he would have to throw to. We would have been in a world of hurt if he hadn't taken a chance on OU. Too many OU fans didn't appreciate him, but what else is new? He's a class act in every sense of the word. Good luck to him!
MsProudSooner, I concur with your assessment of DG. However, I don't think you're quite reading the reaction of many of us correctly. As much as we appreciate his contribution to the program, we all knew he wouldn't be here long and was not going to be the future of the program. Most of us are really anxious to get a glimpse of that future - likely with Jackson Arnold, although I'm pumped about Hawkins and Sperry too.

Frankly, my greatest trepidation is about the defense and what the future holds there. The defense was impressive in spots, but overall was disappointing - less disappointing than last year, but still not up to expectations. I'm hoping Ted Roof retires and that side of the coaching staff is firmed up and improved.
I've been around long enough that I heard OU fans boo Steve Davis in the only game he lost at OU. I don't think most of the people on this board fall into that category but OU fans like that still exist.
That is not limited to OU fans, all fans are overzealous for their teams.
You shall not pass
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Eddie Radosevich
@Eddie_Rado
Notable and kinda cool: Oregon opens the 2024 season at Hawaii

In Brent I Trust :D
captnop

Post by captnop »

White River wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:30 pm
captnop wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:03 pm
Dillion has 1 year left, OU gets 3 good years out of JA and he has a higher ceiling potentially. This had to happen. I think he should go for the draft. he has nothing left to prove in college. However he probably makes more in college as a portal QB than a 4-5th pick in the NFL.

THe real problem is that now College is more like the NFL, it's all a business.
It is a business and Dillon is making a business decision. His decision tells you a great deal about how he assesses his NFL prospects. If he was confident in his NFL future he would have declared. Shopping for the best NIL deal at this point is a good business move for him and he probably has significant college value. If it turns out his college value is not as profitable as he thinks, he can still declare for the draft. He may surprise me and be a very good NFL QB but the method he is using to get there seems well thought out.
According to what Matt Rhule said the other day.. a high portal qb is like 1.5 million. So yeah, it's a business!! Thats SIGNIFICANTLY more than a later round draft pick. Like double to quadruple depending on when he might go. It was said by Teddy and Gabe, it was a mutual decision. OU needs to start the JFA era, and DG can make life changing money.
White River

Post by White River »

DG is a free agent and will make his own choices but one of those teams has a much higher ceiling in 2024 than the other one does.
walt

Post by walt »

OU Guy wrote: ↑Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:53 pm Eddie Radosevich
@Eddie_Rado

Would hate to see Dillion wind up with USC and Riley. Doubt that will happen. Mississippi would be the logical place, unless the Rebels have great QBs. Oregon might be a good sport for him. I just want him somewhere he can make him a Heisman QB, except Jackson wins it.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
White River

Post by White River »

Having SC and the Ducks bidding against one another could make him a lot of money.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

For eye opening numbers on NIL Valuations, visit NIL 100
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

walt wrote: ↑Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:11 pm
OU Guy wrote: ↑Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:53 pm Eddie Radosevich
@Eddie_Rado

Would hate to see Dillion wind up with USC and Riley. Doubt that will happen. Mississippi would be the logical place, unless the Rebels have great QBs. Oregon might be a good sport for him. I just want him somewhere he can make him a Heisman QB, except Jackson wins it.
Miss St with Lebby is the logical/easy choice since they know terminology. But Miss St is not in a spot to contend for any titles where Ducks are. If he goes to Ducks his schedule is easier, and if he doesn’t think NFL would draft him high enough perhaps going to another big team and putting up big numbers might help showcase that he can do well in any system - thus getting away from comfort zone (Lebby) might help his stock. They will be in the playoff hunt next year and if he can lead them to playoffs in a different conf it likely helps him for NFL.
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

I posted this on another thread but it applies to this one as well.

A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

I do MsProud.......Boomer!!.....I was there too!And you are correct with your assessments!!!!Appreciation is lacking by many !
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

This will help answer many questions.

Dillon Gabriel: Draft feedback informed the decision to enter transfer portal
Eli Lederman
Syndication: The Oklahoman

Dillon Gabriel reflected on his time at OU, the draft feedback that pushed him to stay in college and his decision to enter the transfer portal speaking in Oklahoma City Tuesday afternoon. (Bryan Terry/The Oklahoman)

OKLAHOMA CITY — Little more than 24 hours after entering the NCAA transfer portal, Oklahoma quarterback Dillon Gabriel delivered the clearest explanation yet on his decision to play football elsewhere in 2024 from the grand ballroom inside the Skirvin Hotel Tuesday afternoon.

“It being a new era in the SEC, knowing that it’s a tricky and a unique situation that I’m in, I just think it was the right time for me to go and try it somewhere else,” Gabriel said within a three-minute explanation. “Not necessarily because it was bad or anything. It was the right thing to do. It’s hard. Sometimes the right decision isn’t always easy, as I’ve learned.”

Gabriel’s response came at the end of a 20-minute “fireside chat” with former Sooner Josh Norman as part of an event hosted by the Fields & Futures Booster Club Tuesday in downtown Oklahoma City. The fifth-year quarterback was on hand as a special guest of the organization, which serves students across the Oklahoma City Public Schools system by “growing sports participation at the middle school and high school levels.”

Characteristically charismatic a day after landing in the portal, Gabriel opened the Q&A session with jokes about Tom Brady and former Sooner and UCF coach Josh Heupel. He went on to tell stories of his upbringing in Hawaii, the passion he developed for sports in the public school system and his deep relationship with OU wide receiver Drake Stoops.

In the closing moments, Norman — now the director of OU’s SOUL Mission — asked Gabriel if he wanted to address “the elephant in the room,” prompting the Sooners’ quarterback of two seasons to outline a decision Gabriel said began with a shift in his NFL Draft prospects.

“Throughout the whole season I think I had it very clear in my mind that I wanted to go to the draft,” Gabriel said. “Ride off into the sunset. Be an OU graduate. Hopefully get drafted earlier than I ever thought I would.

“Statistically, I thought I had a pretty good (year) or one of my best years, so I was hopeful,” Gabriel continued. “But as I got my homework back, the draft grade wasn’t what I thought it would be. Even not getting invited to the Senior Bowl was something that … just as I kind of got that information — I was a little bummed out.”

Indeed, Gabriel capped his run at OU with the most productive season of his college career, logging career-highs in completion percentage (69.3%), passing yards (3,660) and total touchdowns (42).

He marked a signature moment by leading the Sooners’ to a comeback win over Texas on Oct. 7. On the power of his fifth year in college football, Gabriel closed the regular season in the top 10 of several all-time NCAA passing categories.

And yet, Gabriel fell short of the draft projections he’d hoped for at the end of the 2023 season. Instead, he’ll take visits in the coming weeks before settling on a new program as one of the top transfer quarterbacks ahead of his sixth season in college football.

ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported Tuesday that Gabriel will visit Oregon this weekend and that the Ducks stand as front-runners for his signature.

“I think at this point in my life I just want to maximize playing the sport I love,” Gabriel said.

“I’ve always heard a bunch of people that have played the sport and left early. It was unfortunate — they only had two years in the NFL and it was done. They always wish that they had played that extra year; taken advantage of their full opportunity in college. It was a great time in their life. I just kind of sat there and I decided that’s going to be best for me.”

Gabriel’s next destination is not yet clear. Neither, apparently, is his status for the Sooners’ Dec. 28 trip to the Alamo Bowl. Speaking on The Franchise earlier Tuesday, Gabriel explained that he is still discussing plans with OU coach Brent Venables, stating that it’s “a little early to say” whether he’ll be a part of the Sooners’ bowl season plans.

In a room of admiring onlookers Tuesday, Gabriel stayed away from projecting his future, preferring instead to reflect on his past and two years at OU that Gabriel says shaped him.

“I know the experiences throughout my lifetime have built me up to this moment,” Gabriel said. “It’s been tough to say the least. Leaving faces that you love so dearly and were so enjoyable to work with, but it’s a part of it. I’m grateful for everything. I’m blessed to say that I’m grateful.”

https://selloutcrowd.com/oklahoma/2023/ ... er-portal/
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

OUGuy Wrote:Questions to what...................".why all the Gabriel Bashing earlier on ST?We get Got your point days ago!" There Used Quotations and Labeled it just for OUGuy!!!!!!
Last edited by WishBone on Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

WishBone wrote: ↑Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:14 pm Questions to what....................why all the Gabriel Bashing earlier on ST?We get Got your point days ago!
Do you know how to quote or use that feature? I assime you are talking to me.

And what is your problem? Show me one post where I bashed Dillon. Just one. I discuss him and other key players/starters. But not one post is bashing him. Stop making stuff up. And man up too, if you have a beef with me PM me instead of grandstanding in front of the gallery.

I’ll be waiting for you to find one bash Dillon post. Just one. If not then stop chasing me looking for a problem. This is an outstanding board full of actual great discussion. No need to call out posters whatsoever. This board is drama free, until now. If you don’t like what I post then just move in and ignore it or PM me and lets discuss.

I post a lot of stuff, most is from beat writers and does not always mean I agree with it. But for example, I just posted an article that explains why Dillon is not going pro - he did not get a high enough grade. So he’s going to another program and like I suggested in another post within the past day - he is likely doing that out of respect for OU.

Please get past whatever your issue is. I have no beefs with you other than you makimg remarks about me. You did this in a gamethread late season too, and then stopped when I asked you what the problem was. Get over it, not worth stressing over nor causing problems. Until you move on I’ll just wait for your bashing proof.