Texas Had To Be Put In So Bama Could Get In

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
Pebblebeachguy

Texas Had To Be Put In So Bama Could Get In

Post by Pebblebeachguy »

The Committee, ruled by ESPN and Network money, had to get the SEC champion into the playoffs no matter what or alienate have the college football fans and collapse viewer ratings (advertising).

Since Texas beat Bama and was a conference champion, they had to bump undefeated conference champion Florida State.

They used the QB excuse. However, their #1 QB had been injured when the previous Committee rankings were released with Florida State at #4.

Subsequently, all Florida State did was win out and win the ACC undefeated as a power 5 conference champ.

All Texas did was beat an overrated #18 in OSU.

The fix was in. SEC champ had to get in even if they had to screw Florida State and put in Texas to do it.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Great first post after 2 years and 2 months of being a member. What took you so long lol. Hope to see you post more, and your post is very likely. SEC is top conference and could not be left out even if FSU deserved to be in.

Feel bad for FSU though. Its not just this playoffs imagine trying to recruit when you go 13-0 and win your conf title game and still get left out. What can you tell recruits especially if up against another SEC team recruiting same player.
In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

Welcome to the Power Two
#Mentally In Portal
White River

Post by White River »

OU Guy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:58 pm

Feel bad for FSU though. Its not just this playoffs imagine trying to recruit when you go 13-0 and win your conf title game and still get left out. What can you tell recruits especially if up against another SEC team recruiting same player.
You tell them, "Now the that the playoff has expanded to 12 teams, there is a decent chance for us to make it in if we can go undefeated again."
White River

Post by White River »

You can bet the playoff committee will be rooting hard for Georgia because this whole thing will blow up again if FSU beats the Dawgs.
Pebblebeachguy

Post by Pebblebeachguy »

Georgia won’t need any help but if it gets close….some fortuitous to GA , PI or holding calls will magically materialize.

I don’t believe that only the Big 12 zebras (like OU/OSU) put their thumbs on the scales when necessary.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

One note, if not mistaken the bowl games use refs not from either teams conf.
In Brent I Trust :D
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

OU Guy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:52 pm One note, if not mistaken the bowl games use refs not from either teams conf.
ESPeNis might/could exert $ome influence a$ well.(But, they wouldn't do that, would they?
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

White River wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:57 pm You can bet the playoff committee will be rooting hard for Georgia because this whole thing will blow up again if FSU beats the Dawgs.
It will be interesting to see how motivated UGA is to play this game. Also, how many Georgia starters are going pro? They might not want to play in the game, in order to prevent injury.
Fly

Post by Fly »

They have sure screwed college football from the era I grew up in. Can any one think a movie as Rudy could ever be produced in this time
In America. I always tell my kids, I was blessed growing up in the best time in America.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
walt

Post by walt »

I have a lot of fear about how the 12-team playoff will be more prone to corruption such as this one with FSU. I think that an eight or sixteen-team playoff would be much better. Yes, I know a sixteen playoff would be hard on players, but it could be fair. You seed a 12-team playoff and you will wind up with the top seeds a huge advantage. The top seeds will have multiple advantages compared with the bottom seeds.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
Pebblebeachguy

Post by Pebblebeachguy »

Truth

There will still be as big a potential argument about the one or two teams that just missed the top 4, the extra rest, recovery and prep time.
Pebblebeachguy

Post by Pebblebeachguy »

To make the final 12 selection more objective and corruption free, perhaps they should be selected via a BCS computer algorithm or enlarge the human selector pool significantly (like Heisman or potentially even much larger).

With larger numbers of selectors, the money, media and power interests have a much more difficult time fudging their favorites.

The current vested interests are too powerful and the money (Media and Betting) is beyond what most people can comprehend.

Look to NIL, Billions in annual college football betting and the Almighty Networks and ever increasing Super Conferences (Hello SEC and Big10).

4 Hour Games with less plays and more ads are coming in the next few years (all in the name of player safety).
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

All I see on the news is AI this, AI that. This would be a perfect situation to use artificial intelligence and have a disinterested and non-emotional system selection process.

I have never been a fan of polls, they are too prone to outside influences and think some sort of automated selection would be best.
You shall not pass
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

All I see on the news is AI this, AI that. This would be a perfect situation to use artificial intelligence and have a disinterested and non-emotional system selection process.

I have never been a fan of polls, they are too prone to outside influences and think some sort of automated selection would be best.

Edit - the NFL seems to succeed without polls. Why can’t college?
You shall not pass