Dillon to transfer pool

MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DG will always be one of my favorite OU QBs. He came here sight unseen, not knowing who he would have to throw to. We would have been in a world of hurt if he hadn't taken a chance on OU. Too many OU fans didn't appreciate him, but what else is new? He's a class act in every sense of the word. Good luck to him!
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

"NAIL ON HEAD" Ms Proud!!! Thank You.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

MsProudSooner wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:26 pm DG will always be one of my favorite OU QBs. He came here sight unseen, not knowing who he would have to throw to. We would have been in a world of hurt if he hadn't taken a chance on OU. Too many OU fans didn't appreciate him, but what else is new? He's a class act in every sense of the word. Good luck to him!
MsProudSooner, I concur with your assessment of DG. However, I don't think you're quite reading the reaction of many of us correctly. As much as we appreciate his contribution to the program, we all knew he wouldn't be here long and was not going to be the future of the program. Most of us are really anxious to get a glimpse of that future - likely with Jackson Arnold, although I'm pumped about Hawkins and Sperry too.

Frankly, my greatest trepidation is about the defense and what the future holds there. The defense was impressive in spots, but overall was disappointing - less disappointing than last year, but still not up to expectations. I'm hoping Ted Roof retires and that side of the coaching staff is firmed up and improved.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Interesting data from 2021 QB class top 10:

#1 Quinn Ewers - Signed at Ohio State, transferred to Texas
#2 Caleb Williams - Signed at Oklahoma, transferred to USC
#3 Sam Huard - Signed at Washington, transferred to Cal-Poly
#4 Drake Maye - Signed to UNC, still enrolled there
#5 Brock Vandagriff - Signed with Georgia, in transfer portal
#6 J.J. McCarthy - Signed with Michigan, still enrolled there
#7 Kaidon Salter - Signed with Tennessee, transferred to Liberty
#8 Kyle McCord - Signed with Ohio State, in transfer portal
#9 Ty Thompson - Signed with Oregon, still enrolled there
#10 Tyler Buchner - Signed with Notre Dame, transferred to Alabama, in transfer portal again

——-

If Jackson pans out its likely Hawkins would portal out after 24 season, knowing in 25 that JA would have the upper hand. And then Sperry would arrive in 25 as true freshman behind Jackson in his 3rd year.

If Jackson does not pan out then its likely he tranfers out and Hawkins takes over and then Sperry would have to sit 2 years.

As shown above the top qbs portal a lot
Last edited by OU Guy on Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

we all knew he wouldn't be here long and was not going to be the future of the program. Most of us are really anxious to get a glimpse of that future ..........In here lies the Problem. :eyes:
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
RussC

Post by RussC »

WishBone wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:59 pm we all knew he wouldn't be here long and was not going to be the future of the program. Most of us are really anxious to get a glimpse of that future ..........In here lies the Problem. :eyes:
Human nature is the problem. Always was.
#Mentally In Portal
captnop

Post by captnop »

I completely agree MsProudSooner about Dillion. However OU is in the spot that they can't ask JA to sit on the bench for another year, after burning his RS this year. He IS the future. Dillion has 1 year left, OU gets 3 good years out of JA and he has a higher ceiling potentially. This had to happen. I think he should go for the draft. he has nothing left to prove in college. However he probably makes more in college as a portal QB than a 4-5th pick in the NFL.

THe real problem is that now College is more like the NFL, it's all a business.
Last edited by captnop on Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RussC

Post by RussC »

Dillion. Dillon.
#Mentally In Portal
White River

Post by White River »

captnop wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:03 pm
Dillion has 1 year left, OU gets 3 good years out of JA and he has a higher ceiling potentially. This had to happen. I think he should go for the draft. he has nothing left to prove in college. However he probably makes more in college as a portal QB than a 4-5th pick in the NFL.

THe real problem is that now College is more like the NFL, it's all a business.
It is a business and Dillon is making a business decision. His decision tells you a great deal about how he assesses his NFL prospects. If he was confident in his NFL future he would have declared. Shopping for the best NIL deal at this point is a good business move for him and he probably has significant college value. If it turns out his college value is not as profitable as he thinks, he can still declare for the draft. He may surprise me and be a very good NFL QB but the method he is using to get there seems well thought out.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Lets not forget if he had decided fo stay he eats up resources ($$$) that are needed for other transfers-in. Nothing against him but our qb room will be fine where we need to upgrade at other spots. And those upgrades will cost money. Looking at a purely money side.

I think DG is an honorable young man who truly cares about OU and did this to help OU move forward. He has seen what JA can do from practices and likely realizes he is the future. Thats how I’ll look at this, DG helping OU by moving on. He will always be respected for coming here and getting us theough rough times.
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Personally, I think Dillon will end up with Lebby. He'll take on the same role he did for us last year. He'll make more NIL (Lebby will see to that). It's a win-win for everyone all around. The question is, what would Dillon have done had Lebby stayed?
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I think he ends up a Duck. Keeps him closer to is home state than Miss St. Don’t think he wants to go play for LiaR for many reasons. Ducks are in a good spot to go far next year too. And Nike can pay $$$.

AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Oregon would be a better place than MissSt. It will be interesting to see what Dillon does.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I'd like to see him go beat the snot out of USC next year.
aka Crimson47
Fly

Post by Fly »

That would be funny😂😅🤣😝

🪰Fly
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

Pokerman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:51 pm
MsProudSooner wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:26 pm DG will always be one of my favorite OU QBs. He came here sight unseen, not knowing who he would have to throw to. We would have been in a world of hurt if he hadn't taken a chance on OU. Too many OU fans didn't appreciate him, but what else is new? He's a class act in every sense of the word. Good luck to him!
MsProudSooner, I concur with your assessment of DG. However, I don't think you're quite reading the reaction of many of us correctly. As much as we appreciate his contribution to the program, we all knew he wouldn't be here long and was not going to be the future of the program. Most of us are really anxious to get a glimpse of that future - likely with Jackson Arnold, although I'm pumped about Hawkins and Sperry too.

Frankly, my greatest trepidation is about the defense and what the future holds there. The defense was impressive in spots, but overall was disappointing - less disappointing than last year, but still not up to expectations. I'm hoping Ted Roof retires and that side of the coaching staff is firmed up and improved.
I've been around long enough that I heard OU fans boo Steve Davis in the only game he lost at OU. I don't think most of the people on this board fall into that category but OU fans like that still exist.