Dillon to transfer pool

Fly

Dillon to transfer pool

Post by Fly »

Yes just out DG will enter transfer pool.

🪰Fly :ou:
JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

For a guy who's a really good college QB, and a middle of the road NFL prospect, might be the way to go. More power to him. I give him credit for not standing in Jackson Arnold's way. He gave us some great moments, and was exactly what we needed at the time. People sometimes forget that Brent had zero scholarship quarterbacks on the roster when he got here.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I'll forever be a Dillon Gabriel fan! :D

I admire him for the offense he produced,(leading the Big 12 in scoring and total yds per game) for the class and character he demonstrated in the face of some unnecessarly harsh criticism.

A SOONER memory I'll take to my grave, was that Final Drive in the Cotton Bowl, where HE WON THE GAME.
To me that alone should have hushed his critics...but wasn't to be.
The left-handed compliments and the nit-picking comments continue to this present moment.
I'd say I was taking names, but didn't have to.
You know who you are, and I absolutely bear you no ill will.
You just didn't "like" the guy. OK! Now he's gone.
IF, the criticism, and cynicism is carried forward and I see insulting comments thrown his way now that he's history...Well, TRY ME!!! :cool:
walt

Post by walt »

Dillion is doing good for himself, Jackson Arnold, and OU.

My guess is Lebby will pick him up and do it quickly.

He is a really great kid and a very good QB. If he winds up at Mississippi and Lebby it is a good thing. I wish him and Lebby the best for both of them.

The big question for OU is how and where are we going to find a backup QB. I just found a link that the current Ohio State is also putting his name in the portal. Both McCord and Dillion are in the portal. In addition, there are six other QBs in the portal and an A&M DL. Will be interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... orts/live/
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

We won’t need to grab a backup qb. Mike Hawkins will early enroll in Jan so thats another top qb coming in. And Booty has now had a few years on roster to be the 3rd backup. Hawkins will not reshirt either.

Heres some good banter from his dad:

Last edited by OU Guy on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Brent I Trust :D
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

I read that Dillon was going to Oregon…… it was a sports writer reporting it….we will see maybe the bidding has just started….. :dillon:
RussC

Post by RussC »

walt wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:22 am Dillion is doing good for himself, Jackson Arnold, and OU.

My guess is Lebby will pick him up and do it quickly.

He is a really great kid and a very good QB. If he winds up at Mississippi and Lebby it is a good thing. I wish him and Lebby the best for both of them.

The big question for OU is how and where are we going to find a backup QB. I just found a link that the current Ohio State is also putting his name in the portal. Both McCord and Dillion are in the portal. In addition, there are six other QBs in the portal and an A&M DL. Will be interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... orts/live/
It’ll be hard to find a good QB who has proven it on the FBS field and is willing to just back up JA. But we have to look. Could end up with one of our 2024 true freshmen (Michael Hawkins, Brendan Zerbrugg) in that backup role.
#Mentally In Portal
SwampSooner

Post by SwampSooner »

Good fortune to you Dillon.

Just wondering, will he play in the Alamo Bowl?
RussC

Post by RussC »

SwampSooner wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:34 am Good fortune to you Dillon.

Just wondering, will he play in the Alamo Bowl?
Not unless he withdraws from the portal this week
#Mentally In Portal
Fly

Post by Fly »

Hawkins looks to be a good one for sure. But he is a true freshman & very few are ready to take over a team. It,s been done but it
Is very rare there won,t be a big drop off in the offense production.

🪰Fly :ou:
captnop

Post by captnop »

Dillion will make more at Oregon vs 4-5th round qb. Sounds funny to say it. Good for him. It's a business now.. He could've stayed next year, but probably gets replaced by JA at some point. Sperry and Booty will be the backups. Like others have pointed out no one wants be the backup any more. If JA stays more than a couple of years, OU will have QB's hitting the portal because they don't want to wait. Just the way it is now.
Up North Sooner

Post by Up North Sooner »

OU Guy wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:30 am We won’t need to grab a backup qb. Mike Hawkins will early enroll in Jan so thats another top qb coming in. And Booty has now had a few years on roster to be the 3rd backup. Hawkins will not reshirt either.

Please tell me his Dad isn't going to be a problem.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Up North Sooner wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:58 am
OU Guy wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:30 am We won’t need to grab a backup qb. Mike Hawkins will early enroll in Jan so thats another top qb coming in. And Booty has now had a few years on roster to be the 3rd backup. Hawkins will not reshirt either.

Please tell me his Dad isn't going to be a problem.
I think there is a chance he becomes a problem. Question is is his son tells him to pipe down or not. His dad played here so the staff will have to work on this behind the scenes. We’ll know once JA has a tough game.

As for his reply, he read some so called football fan saying his son should redshirt one year plus sit a 2nd year and he was replying to that. The poster seems to have meant well but went overboard saying he would sit 2 years and his dad is just saying no he camexto compete. Lets hope it does not become a problem.
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Notice that BV said DG was gone after season - and he said that earlier in season.

Dillon Gabriel is in the transfer portal. Welcome to the Jackson Arnold era
Eli Lederman
With Dillon Gabriel off to the transfer portal, the path is clear for the Sooners’ quarterback of the future to get his first opportunity in the starting job in 2024.

NORMAN — Jackson Arnold was anointed before he even stepped onto campus.

The coveted quarterback signed with Oklahoma on the morning of Dec. 21, 2022. Later that day, then-Sooners offensive coordinator Jeff Lebby spoke about Arnold with conviction, making a comfortable prediction about the future in the perpetually uncertain world of major college football.

“At some point, he’s going to be the face of Oklahoma,” Lebby said of OU’s five-star prospect.

As of Monday morning, Dillon Gabriel is off to the transfer portal. Less than 12 months after Lebby stood behind that lectern, the path is clear for the Sooners’ quarterback of the future to get his first opportunity in the starting job in 2024.

Twenty-four days before the Alamo Bowl, the Jackson Arnold era in Norman is officially here.

“He knows what to do, he’s always prepared, always knows the game plan,” wide receiver Drake Stoops said of Arnold last month. “That’s what’s important — him always being ready for his moment.”

Monday’s news clears up the future of the Sooners’ quarterback room in both the near and long term.

Let’s start with Gabriel’s departure. Put simply, the former UCF quarterback became the single most important player in Brent Venables’ two seasons in charge of the program. His exit now paves the way for the Sooners to move toward their future.

“(He brought) stability. Consistency. Leadership,” Venables said of Gabriel last month. “And he’s made everyone around him better.”

With 42 total touchdowns, a climb up the NCAA’s career leaderboard in multiple passing categories and a heroic effort in the Oct. 7 win over Texas, Gabriel just capped the most productive season of his college career. However, whether it was a move to the portal or the pros, his return to Norman for 2024 always seemed unlikely.

Gabriel now hits the portal with one season of eligibility remaining as one of the most experienced and talented passers available in the lucrative transfer quarterback market. Oregon, USC and Lebby’s Mississippi State are among the programs already rumored to be interested in his services next fall, when Gabriel could close in on several NCAA passing records.

The impact of Gabriel’s exit matters to the Sooners’ future. The timing of it does, too.

With Gabriel in the portal, Arnold will take first-team reps over the Sooners’ 15 bowl game practices this month. He’s also on track to make his first career start against No. 14 Arizona in the Dec. 28 Alamo Bowl. That’s a month’s head start for the freshman quarterback and new offensive coordinator Seth Littrell.

But Monday’s news is about much more than OU’s 2023 bowl game. When the Sooners jump to the SEC in 2024, they’ll open the next chapter in program history with a new era unfolding at the quarterback position.

“We know that Dillon won’t be here next year, so we’ve got to prepare for that day as well,” Venables said earlier this season. “Like all decisions, you’ve got to have a plan for that. And we do.”

The stage, undoubtedly, is set for Arnold to take over in the starting role in his second season, a progression that’s been in the works since the eighth-ranked prospect in the 2023 class arrived at OU in January.

Alongside upperclassmen Davis Beville and General Booty, Arnold is the only starting-caliber quarterback on the Sooners’ roster. Four-star passer Michael Hawkins, who will join that group once the early signing period opens later this month, doesn’t change that equation.

One key offseason question lies with whether the Sooners will or can lure another passer to Norman to take on the backup role. Venables only needs to look back to October 2022 and OU’s 49-0 loss to Texas to remember what life is like without adequate quarterback depth.

As for Arnold, he’ll tackle the Sooners’ first run through the SEC — a slate that includes Alabama, LSU and Tennessee — after spending a year behind Gabriel and appearing in five games in his freshman season.

Arnold earned the backup job in 2023 and appeared in four of OU’s initial five games this fall.

He went a perfect 11-for-11 for 114 yards and a touchdown against Arkansas State on Sept. 2. Two weeks later, Arnold highlighted his relief work at Tulsa with a 50-yard touchdown strike to Nic Anderson. Used often in short-yardage run situations in September, he gained 78 yards on 20 carries during the regular season.

That early-season action was supposed to be it for Arnold in 2023 as the Sooners planned to maintain his redshirt into the final month of the regular season. That changed in OU’s Nov. 18 trip to BYU, when Arnold stepped in for the injured Gabriel and guided the Sooners to a 31-24 road victory in the most significant action of his college career.

Arnold’s performance that afternoon, headlined by his game-sealing third-down connection with Jalil Farooq, offered the clearest window yet into the quarterback OU is set to turn to in 2024.

“He’s put the work in and the moment wasn’t too big for him,” Venables said afterward. “The players around him, they knew that too.”

That’s the quarterback OU will turn for the potentially defining seasons of Venables’ tenure and the early years the Sooners’ run in their new conference home.

Another window into Arnold at OU will arrive later this month at the Alamo Bowl. His debut season under center in 2024 will hinge on roster turnover, how the Sooners cope with an SEC schedule and how the talented young quarterback settles into the starting job.

As of Monday morning, the picture for OU next fall is no longer murky. Indeed, the Sooners’ quarterbacking future is finally here.

https://selloutcrowd.com/oklahoma/2023/ ... era-at-ou/
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

DG will always be one of my favorite OU QBs. He came here sight unseen, not knowing who he would have to throw to. We would have been in a world of hurt if he hadn't taken a chance on OU. Too many OU fans didn't appreciate him, but what else is new? He's a class act in every sense of the word. Good luck to him!