Somewhere on this board someone posted that Joe Castiglione told Lebby to go elsewhere after this season.

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
walt

Somewhere on this board someone posted that Joe Castiglione told Lebby to go elsewhere after this season.

Post by walt »

Joe Castiglione was hired at OU in 1998, quickly fired John Blake, and hired Bob Stoops as the next head coach at OU. I can't think of any mistake Joe Castiglione made in hiring coaches or how he managed OU Sports. Joe has been one of the most respected Athletic Director since Joe was chartered on April 30th of 1998. He completely rebuilt OU Sports, including building the Palace, the Basketball facilities, baseball, softball, gymnastics and on and on.

Joe would never have put Jeff Lebby on the chopping block because of Jeff bringing his father-in-law at the end of this season. What was posted on this board is just one of these kinds of posts. It is impossible that Joe would do such. That is just not how he does his business. Jeff Lebby should have known better than to trot his father-in-law on the OU field. Art Briles following the Baylor rape mess became toxic. Art Briles brought all of that on himself. Art Briles tried to find a place where he could be involved in college or pro football.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats hired Art Briles on Monday as an assistant head coach of offense and then quickly reversed its decision just hours later amid growing controversy over Art Briles. Briles tried to find a job, but no football program would touch him.

Despite Art Briles being his father-in-law, Jeff Lebby made the mistake and publicly tried to explain it. Due to Jeff Lebby's actions, Joe Castiglione did what he had to do to try to calm the OU fans. I understand Jeff wants his father-in-law to be a part of what he is doing at OU.

I posted on this board a few times expressing my opinion that I didn't think that hiring Jeff due to his being a coach at Baylor at the time of the Baylor rape by Baylor coaches, with the Baylor head coach and AD turned their back on that situation. I still feel the same. I still see Jeff's wife, Art Briles's daughter, on the Tulsa sideline, and Leff's wife was taking photos of OU coaches' signals to their players. What is the difference in the mess that Michigan coaches/employees of Michigan are in the middle of a scam by their actions of trying to steam some 30 teams' signals over multiple years? And Jeff's wife stood up and tried to explain away her own father's failure to have protect Baylor females who were raped.

Now, we are in a situation where rumors are being talked about an OU coach might find a new job and in the process of taking OU QBs to his new job, assuming Jeff Lebby is looking for a head coach job that appears to be close to what Lincoln Riley did to OU.

If this is what Jeff Lebby does to OU like what Riley did to OU [at a bigger level], then OU is just to be screwed by a couple of coaches that Joe hired thinking he hired a coach with zero characters and integrity.

While I didn't want Jeff at OU, I hope to hell that these rumors are just rumors and OU doesn't end with another situation like what we all hate with what Riley did to OU.

I'm a lifetime OU fan, and all I want is good coaches with characteristics such as integrity, honesty, loyalty, respectfulness, responsibility, and authenticity.

People like Bud, Barry [with some hickups] Bob, and I think Brent Venables.
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Here is one thread (it was after SMU game)

viewtopic.php?t=6092

The Mon presser where it was addressed:

viewtopic.php?t=6107

Here is the statement

In Brent I Trust :D
walt

Post by walt »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:35 am Here is one thread (it was after SMU game)

viewtopic.php?t=6092

The Mon presser where it was addressed:

viewtopic.php?t=6107

Here is the statement

Yes, Joe made his comments on Art Briles. That has nothing to do with the idea that someone on the board made a post that Joe Castiglione would fire Lebby after the season ended. Joe did what he had to do about the Briled deal as OU fans didn't like the idea of Briles being on Owen Field.
"
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

I can’t find anything on that. It may have been said but I can’t find where someome said he’d be fired after season
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...closest thing I can find is SoonerTony on the "Lebby Rumors" thread.

But, all he said was,..."might be possible"!

It was speculation on his part, in my view, not an assertion. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
RussC

Post by RussC »

It doesn’t seem reasonable to think any such communication from Joe C to Lebby would be public knowledge
#Mentally In Portal
Fly

Post by Fly »

That never happen. Joe has alot more class then that. So doe’s Brent, you do not fire a coach over something as that. Yes that was
Inappropriate, & I,m sure Lebby regrets that, that’s just more hate Lebby talk. This kind of talk is so unnecessary, let’s give this a
“Break”!

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
captnop

Post by captnop »

Yeah that seems silly ...
walt

Post by walt »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:17 am I can’t find anything on that. It may have been said but I can’t find where someome said he’d be fired after season
It is in one of the threads about Lebby and Briles. Here are the exact words, by SoonerTony » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:13 pm

I think it’s possible that after the Briles incident, Lebby was told by Joe C to start looking for employment elsewhere for next season. If he gets a head coaching gig in the SEC, good for him.

I don't care what Tony posts ... But I would never put words in the mouth of Joe Castiglione that are not true or accurate, and I don't think there is any possibility that Joe made any comment to Lebby he would be fired. I just don't like to see that kind of comment on this board when there is nothing there. :confusedplus:
"
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

walt wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:52 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:17 am I can’t find anything on that. It may have been said but I can’t find where someome said he’d be fired after season
It is in one of the threads about Lebby and Briles. Here are the exact words, by SoonerTony » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:13 pm

I think it’s possible that after the Briles incident, Lebby was told by Joe C to start looking for employment elsewhere for next season. If he gets a head coaching gig in the SEC, good for him.

I don't care what Tony posts ... But I would never put words in the mouth of Joe Castiglione that are not true or accurate, and I don't think there is any possibility that Joe made any comment to Lebby he would be fired. I just don't like to see that kind of comment on this board when there is nothing there. :confusedplus:
I agree about Joe and don’t think he’d ever say that mid season.

In slight defense of Tony, I think he was just speculating as fans do. At that moment in time this blew up on social/regular media and Tony was following along a thread with lots of speculation. I don’t think he meant any ill will towards Joe rather was voicing what some in public social media were speculating. Some in the OU media do not like Lebby and were using it to make a lot of comments at the time. I think the time and media frenzy contributed to so many comments and speculation.

Joe has done an amazing job! In fact last year many wanted Moser fired (basketball coach). And now in year 3 he has them at 6-0 and having won a tourney in Cali and beat a good Iowa team and then a ranked Usc team. Now it seems Joe has hit another winner. And I don’t put LiaR all on Joe, he came highly recommended by Bob and at that time seemed to be a rising star. No one seen him being a snake in the grass. I can’t recall any bad hires even if some didn’t pan out doesn’t mean they were bad hire just didn’t work out.
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Personally I hope Lebby gets another job and leaves OU. I would very much like Cale to come back as OC as I think he got screwed by pc mindset that prevades todays society. I think firing Cale while having Lebby on staff reeked of hypocrisy . I must ad,it I was never in favor of hiring Lebby because of his air of Baylor rape fiasco stench . Just my honest feelings like it ,hate it or indifferent .
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Look for another one cause Cale will never return...IMO
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

OUGuy wrote:Some in the OU media do not like Lebby and were using it to make a lot of comments at the time. I think the time and media frenzy contributed to so many comments and speculation.........................it happened on here too.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

Ugh! Briles in OU gear? Say it ain't so!
walt

Post by walt »

WishBone wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:51 pm OUGuy wrote:Some in the OU media do not like Lebby and were using it to make a lot of comments at the time. I think the time and media frenzy contributed to so many comments and speculation.........................it happened on here too.
OUGuy you just added another reason to have left Lebby in Mississippi. There is no way to fight those who buy barrels of ink every few days. Maybe this is another reason why Lebby shouldn't have been hired. It is hard for most people to ignore what went on at Baylor. The leadership of Baylor turned their backs on all the nasty business that was ignored. Baylor has a large number of people who were in the Baylor group, which was about the same as the OU Regents. From what I read about the mess at Baylor, those who had the power at Baylor to fix that mess, but no, they just ignored it. The reality is that all Art Briles had to do was police his players who were the problems. Same with the Baylor Board of Regents as they worked to hide it from the public.

So, why do so many just ignore things like what happened at Baylor? Of all of the people at Baylor who could have stopped that mess if only Art Briles and the Baylor Athletic Director had done what they should have we wouldn't be talking about Jeff Lebby. :D :D It is just like the mess at Penn State.
"