SOONERS vs. West"by God smile when you say it"Va: GAME THREAD

This forum contains popular threads that are worthy of archiving
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Does anyone think that Jackson would get any value of coming in the last half of the 4th leading by 32? I sure don't. If he did come in, I'm sure he would do a great job of taking a knee. I just wish someone would ask Brent "Why are we protecting Jackson's redshirt this year?"
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:58 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:33 pm
White River wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:24 pm

He's played in 4 games. His next appearance this season will end his redshirt.
I can’t see any reason to save his shirt? That means 5 years. Top players soend 3 years, 4 tops - and go to NFL.

...I'm not going to speculate on the shirt question.
That's the coaches and Arnold's decision.
Maybe Arnold has agreed that's what he wants to do.
I don't know. But, I do know he's going to get his shot.
And with Hawkins, Sperry, etc., the qb room is crowded enough that you'd be naive to think some of these kids won't portal.

I think you're correct in your assertion that not many college qb's play 4 years...but there are exceptions.
Isn't this Dillon's 5th year?

I really think Arnold could prove to be OU's next Heisman winning qb.
But it's highly unlikely he'll do it as a red-shirt freshman. Or even as a true sophomore.
There's always the potential of injuries.
Maybe there will be a new OC?

OKLAHOMA IS 8-2!
Just smacked a former conference rival around a little in the snake pit.
In my mind OU wins out.
10-2 record is more than acceptable for me after the miserable 6-7 death march last year.

VENABLES IS GOING TO DO THIS! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Great points! I’m just a spoiled fan. If injured can get a medical? DG is not an NFL qb. He’s a great college qb though.
In Brent I Trust :D
RussC

Post by RussC »

Five stars don’t play five
#Mentally In Portal
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Pokerman wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:43 pm I read a while back that both JA and his dad would prefer that he redshirt.
Can't blame the coaches for accommodating them so long as there's no urgent reason not to.
This^^^^
I'm surprised Pokerman and I are the only ones that remember this at the beginning of the season. Don't ask me the reasoning as I agree we will have him for only 3 years. 2 starting... :confusedplus:
KJinSkiatook

Post by KJinSkiatook »

I’d bet there were no more than five “sideways” plays called tonight by Lebby. Mostly downfield passing and runs intended to go north/south. A few I noticed early that were kind of sideways were the “option” plays where DG pitched to Sawchuk. I’m not sure I’d call those sideways but could be counted as such

I try not to be that guy who gripes about every play that doesn’t succeed and thinks that every play that succeeds is a great call. But I think this may have been Lenny’s best game since he’s been here. Mostly vertical plays, seemed to know the defenses weakness and attacked it relentlessly and tended to stick with successful position groups. Kudos to Lebby tonight.
Living the dream…
OU Guy

Post by OU Guy »

Agree. Only beef was the last series before half.
In Brent I Trust :D
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:07 pm
OU Chinaman wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:58 pm
OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:33 pm

I can’t see any reason to save his shirt? That means 5 years. Top players soend 3 years, 4 tops - and go to NFL.

...I'm not going to speculate on the shirt question.
That's the coaches and Arnold's decision.
Maybe Arnold has agreed that's what he wants to do.
I don't know. But, I do know he's going to get his shot.
And with Hawkins, Sperry, etc., the qb room is crowded enough that you'd be naive to think some of these kids won't portal.

I think you're correct in your assertion that not many college qb's play 4 years...but there are exceptions.
Isn't this Dillon's 5th year?

I really think Arnold could prove to be OU's next Heisman winning qb.
But it's highly unlikely he'll do it as a red-shirt freshman. Or even as a true sophomore.
There's always the potential of injuries.
Maybe there will be a new OC?

OKLAHOMA IS 8-2!
Just smacked a former conference rival around a little in the snake pit.
In my mind OU wins out.
10-2 record is more than acceptable for me after the miserable 6-7 death march last year.

VENABLES IS GOING TO DO THIS! :cool:

Great points! I’m just a spoiled fan. If injured can get a medical? DG is not an NFL qb. He’s a great college qb though.

Of Cooouuurrrse, you're a chinaman just like me!

Heard a lot of people say the same thing about Baker, Kyler, and Jalen.
I guarantee DG will get a chance to play on Sundays, drafted or as a free agent.
I wouldn't bet against him making an NFL roster. :cool:

TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

OU Chinaman wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:29 pm ...Lebby's play calling, while still plain vanilla, established a run threat early with Gavin.
Gabriel's run game was another big factor, butI tend to agree with SoonerTony...don't like seeing Gabriel taking unecessary shots in the 4th when the game is in hand.
Gabriel's back in the Heisman talk after tonight.
Would Like to see Arnold. :cool:

I sure hope Gabriel's back in the Heisman discussion. Sets a school record 8 TDs and over 470 yds total offense...what more do they want? Geez.....

I want the wins first.....but after last night, it would be nice for him to get some recognition also.
aka Crimson47
captnop

Post by captnop »

I've been a Lebby critic, however once you have a running thread .. Sawchuck and Walker combo .. then he goes more vertical.. If he doesn't have the running , then resorts to the jet sweeps, bubble screens and all that stuff. WITH a reliable running game, his offense gets it done!! That seems to be the defining factor. The issue with Jet sweeps and bubbles is when you play better teams, there's a higher chance they sniff those out and squash at or before the LOS. If :ou: can keep up the running attack then I think it'll be ok the rest of season.
RussC

Post by RussC »

captnop wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:38 am I've been a Lebby critic, however once you have a running thread .. Sawchuck and Walker combo .. then he goes more vertical.. If he doesn't have the running , then resorts to the jet sweeps, bubble screens and all that stuff. WITH a reliable running game, his offense gets it done!! That seems to be the defining factor. The issue with Jet sweeps and bubbles is when you play better teams, there's a higher chance they sniff those out and squash at or before the LOS. If :ou: can keep up the running attack then I think it'll be ok the rest of season.
Caden Green and Jacob Sexton are superior run blockers. They started yesterday and the results were great.
#Mentally In Portal
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

OU Guy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:10 pm Mettauer picks up two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the play and he's been ejected.

Couple of ugly moments in a short span.

Does he miss first half next game or is that only targeting?

After all the ref cheating it was coming. Not smart though
On the latter part of the broadcast they said you miss additional gametime fo targeting .